Notices

Wastegate ? and high boost ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Wastegate ? and high boost ?

Alright so I got my car tuned a while ago. Vitara/Eagle set up. Ebay "57 trim". I see some people running around 30psi on these turbo's, I know they are hit or miss, and some are only a 44 trim. At this time I had an ebay wastegate on the car as well. When getting it tuned it could not make more than 22psi efficiently. After spinning a bearing and rebuilding the motor (pos oil pumps) I noticed I was only pulling -13 for vacuum. I did a boost leak test and my wastegate was leaking terribly. Bought new turbonetics one and spooled noticeably faster than before. I know my turbo might not be a true 57 trim but my question is could the ebay wastegate leaking cause my turbo to only make 22psi rather than say 28psi?

The other question is when tuned to 22psi it ran fine, spun bearing, rebuilt motor, then high boost would not work. When I hit around 20 psi the car falls on its face and/or sputter. I thought maybe vacuum leak I did boost leak test got new wategate. Car still would not make 22psi and keep pulling. Swapped out plugs and for a couple pulls pulled nice up to 24psi (fuel cut) but it still cuts out now. Tried new plug wires still no luck. I feel like it is definitely a spark related problem, a/f's are good. I have been seeing people having similar problems, with cutting out and sputtering and people have swapped the guts in the dizzy to clear it up. Going to try new ignition coil and cap and rotor. Hoping it is just carbon build up and this will fix the problem. Also my shitty ebay manifold kept cracking could this also cause this problem? Already have rc autoworks mini ram so don't have to worry about that part.

I just want some other peoples inputs on these things so I know what to plan on for spring... Thanks guys