Notices

Troubleshooting low boost... new wastegate?

Old 01-20-2004, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting low boost... new wastegate?

I need some troubleshooting help: I finally got boosted last night for the first time in my G2 teg, but I had a problem with low boost: The most my AFC would read was 0.07 kg/cm^2 in full boost... It was sick, but it wasn't as sick as it should've been.. The RHB5 should have put out about 7 or 8 psi on the stock wastegate, waaaaaay more than .07 bar. I checked for obvious leaks in the charge piping, but couldn't find any.

This leads me to the more obvious conclusion: the ebay dick who sold me the turbo screwed me. After the sale, he wouldn't send the turbo. After I harassed him about it, he finally did, and added in "enjoy the 4 psi of boost the turbo pulls." Damn. So I'm thinking the wastegate is a problem.. it's opening way too early, which doesn't make sense. I'd guess if the wastegate was broken or damaged like this guy said, it would open late or not at all -> too much boost. I think the vacuum lines are hooked up right...

Any obvious things I could look at?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Troubleshooting low boost... new wastegate? (psychotic_z)

hmm...

1. First check for any vaccum leaks.

2. Is it internal or external wastegate? If it's internal, check the length of the actuator. If it's super long, shorten it.

3. Is there any shaft play? etc...

try do those first and one of them might solve your problem
Old 01-20-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Troubleshooting low boost... new wastegate? (civicshowracing65)

I'll check.. there's one vacuum line used to go into my cold air intake, for idle, I'd wager... That one's been dangling free, and I forgot to put that one anywhere. My idle's a little funky, but I don't think that would hurt my boost, would it?

It's an internal wastegate, so that makes things fun. I'll check the actuator rod when I get a chance..

No shaft play or anything, and all connections I can get at look tight. I'll check in depth a little later.

What if it was the wastegate? If it was just too long, I could just trim a little of the rod, I suppose. How hard is it to trim or, worse comes to worse, replace the wastegate?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:16 PM

actually all you have to do is shorten the length of the actuator. here's how to do it with the greddy turbo's http://www.gamesbbs.com/~dmoore/turbo-tuning.htm
Old 01-20-2004, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Troubleshooting low boost... new wastegate? (civicshowracing65)

o yea, if you do have to replace it, it's very very easy. For mines it's 2 10 mm bolts and a pin you just pull out. Slip the other one in, put the pin back in and the 10 mm bolts and your good to go
Old 01-24-2004, 03:32 PM

OK, so I finally got to looking at the setup this weekend. I tweaked a few things, tighten a few connections, and fixed the exhaust (it doesn't sound like a diesel now!). When I went to go drive it again, max boost was about 0.01 kg/cm^2 in some gears, very very low vacuum in others (10-20 mm/hg). The colder air from the night I drove it before could explain the 0.01-0.07 kg/cm^2 boost change, but I'm still stumped.

I took off the hose that opens the wastegate, and still, hardly any boost. The wastegate shouldn't be open at all! All vacuum lines are tight, and it appears all charge piping is good. BOV is closed under boost and open under vacuum...

What gives? My next thought is that the wastegate is stuck open - Should I be able to move the actuator rod back and forth with my fingers? (Internal wastegate)
Old 01-24-2004, 03:45 PM

One more thing I thought of, I'll add: I took the filter off the compressor housing... maybe a clogged filter was choking the turbo.. Nope, no difference at all. Taking the pressure line off the wastegate made no difference. I'm clueless!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:10 PM

Fixed - That one hidden charge pipe blew off. And, after I hit 7 psi, blew off again .

Got it tighter than **** now (I actually don't know how tight **** is, but...), it's all good.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:26 PM

glad to hear that...happy boosting! just installed my dual stage boost controller...10 psi compared to 5.5 psi before is the shitz