Notices

vortech supercharger..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortech supercharger..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi i have a civic ek b16a2,with a vortech supercharger and aftercooler kit on it ,the car made 285 bhp and 161 torque on the dyno recently with stock engine internals and a mugen manifold and exhaust,my question is what boost can i run safely on this engine/or what can i do to make the car any quicker as it seems it is a stormer on the top end of the gears,but does not seem to pull as hard on the bottom end..???i was thinking of buying the an-r.com b16 street race compact header to maybe improve the torque chareteristics,would fitting bigger injectors/fuel rail make any difference or would i need to get a chip for this,if so where from,thanks in advance for any help nigel
Old 11-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vortech supercharger.. (beario)

What engine management was this power made on?

You could go to 11psi with hondata and the properly sized injectors on your stock short block. An-R headers are great for all motor because of their scavenging capabilities. I am not sure if the primaries are sized correctly for an s/c set up.

I would contact lovefab. I have seen some nice S/C headers fabbed up by them. In fact visit their web site. They have some pics of it there.

In terms of more power from what you have. A better flow intake manifold and TB will help. And a capable stand alone (hondata. aem ems, uberdata, etc....) will help you out the most.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beario &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi i have a civic ek b16a2,with a vortech supercharger and aftercooler kit on it ,the car made 285 bhp and 161 torque on the dyno recently with stock engine internals and a mugen manifold and exhaust,my question is what boost can i run safely on this engine/or what can i do to make the car any quicker as it seems it is a stormer on the top end of the gears,but does not seem to pull as hard on the bottom end..???i was thinking of buying the an-r.com b16 street race compact header to maybe improve the torque chareteristics,would fitting bigger injectors/fuel rail make any difference or would i need to get a chip for this,if so where from,thanks in advance for any help nigel
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No **** it doesn't make any power on the low end, LOOK AT THE BOOST CURVE! The vortech doesn't make peak boost till redline, so you get **** for power in the low/midrange. There is nothing you can do to the vortech to make it produce any moderate amount of low/mid range boost without running massive boost on the top end.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vortech supercharger.. (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No **** it doesn't make any power on the low end, LOOK AT THE BOOST CURVE! The vortech doesn't make peak boost till redline, so you get **** for power in the low/midrange. There is nothing you can do to the vortech to make it produce any moderate amount of low/mid range boost without running massive boost on the top end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you forget your coffee this morning? Good lord. I don't recall him saying it didn't have "any" power in the low end. In fact, he seems quite aware of it and is asking what pieces would compliment the motor and enhance the bottom of the power curve as much as possible.

Just because you (apparently??) don't like Vortech's doesn't give you the right to be a tuff "e-*******". Help him out in the future, don't give him hell. And if all you know how to do is be a pesemistic jerk-off then move on to the next thread.

A properly designed S/C header will help him out, a lightened flywheel will help you get into the top end quicker, there are things you can do to overcome the more anemic low end of your set up.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kamakazi headers offer some of the best gains for the buck for sc cars.. The type r header has a 2.5 in collector.

If you jump up to a 10lbs pulley i would make sure you have good standalone like hondata or something on that line. People have been known to crack the ringlands alot on a stock motor with the 10lb pulley upgrade.

As for the low end ... spray it. The Vortech has a straight power curve so down low it seems really slugish but at the same time the boost transition is very calm unlike a turbo there fore you don't get the sudden kick of power. I would upgrade pistons and rods before jumping up to a different pulley.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:53 PM

thanks for the input,i have taken assubennets advice and bought a fidenza flywheel 7.5 ibs,so this should help it spin the motor through the rev range quicker,i have a full mugen loop exhaust system ,with a 4-1 mugen 1 piece manifold,and it has a skunk 2 inlet manifold..someone mentioned changing to a obd1 ecu and chipping so the vtec is lower and fuel curves are better,is this better than a obd2 ecu..all advice is gratefully reiceved..cheers i can post pics if anyone wants a look..and can host them..
Old 11-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beario)

if you go to obd1 i would go with uberdata, this would allow for a more accurate tune

http://www.ecimulti.org/uberda...ard=3