Notices

Very important questions, need experienced answers. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very important questions, need experienced answers. Please help.

I'm new to installing turbos, but a generally mechanically inclined person. I have no manual with my turbo as it isn't a kit. I need help identifying some hoses that have been clipped on my turbo. I do not know which is what, or where the oil/water lines go. Please help me identify the lines which I have pointed out. It is a Garrett T3 turbo that is both oil and water cooled. Please look at all the photos and excuse my photoshop skills. The point gets across... I hope. Thanks in advance guys, I look forward to your advice.
http://members.***.net/jaliel/Hose1.JPG
http://members.***.net/jaliel/hose2.JPG
http://members.***.net/jaliel/hose3.JPG
http://members.***.net/jaliel/hose4.JPG

[Modified by OKSolSi, 5:22 AM 5/6/2002]

[Modified by OKSolSi, 5:26 AM 5/6/2002]
Old 05-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Very important questions, need experienced answers. Please help. (OKSolSi)

Ok here you go.

Pic 1: Looks to me like it is an O2 sensor that was cut at the end. But I cant really tell, you have a better pic? Ok, looking at it in pic 2 it seems to me like its a hot air line--possibly for an EGR type valve? Somebody help him here.....
Pic 2: Either water cooling feed or exit
Pic 3: Manifold vacuum line (runs to your intake manifold)
Pic 4: See answer for pic 2.

Old 05-05-2002, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very important questions, need experienced answers. Please help. (OKSolSi)

#1 Looks like an EGR connection block it off.
#2 Looks like coolant input or output.
#3 wastegate actuator. that hose goes to a vaccum source.
#4 Coolant input or output.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Very important questions, need experienced answers. Please help. (Willis)

Thanks for the help guys. I am confused, though. This turbo is supposed to be oil cooled as well as water. Both of you identified two lines only as water inlets or outlets... where then is the oil inlet? I know the oil outlet connects to the area via a flange, but the inlet I cannot find. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-05-2002, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks to me like the oil feed is the one behind the bracket for the wg diaphram. And the oil return is on the opposite side of it.

By the way, thats a small *** turbo. Is this going onto a d or b series motor?
Old 05-05-2002, 09:30 PM

About the oil lines... there are two identical inlet/outlets. I know that one of them hooks up to an oil flange for the output to the oil pan - does the other one also hook up to an oil flange and come from the car's oil pump? I didn't think turbo's had two oil flanges on them...if I'm wrong here someone please correct me. I apologize if I seem like I'm asking a lot of questions, but with no manual and this being a first time install, I have to if I want to do it right. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Every turbo ive ever seen had a threaded oil inlet and a squarish oil return hole that the flange bolts to.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Very important questions, need experienced answers. Please help. (93LSivic)

Yeah I expected this turbo to have a threaded inlet for the hose to directly go onto. But it doesn't, just two identical oil flanges, but there is no oil feed one the turbo itself..I thought there was supposed to be? Also, on the feeds how do I know which one is in and which one is out?
Old 05-06-2002, 01:14 PM

I guess I will just go buy two flanges and hope they're both for the oil cooling. Hopefully I can get the small parts I need by this weekend and put it in on Friday night through early Saturday morning.