Notices

uberdata & cam timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default uberdata & cam timing

Alright, just a quick question - Ive tried searching this before, but nothing really applicable to my setup comes up - I need some solid help. Posted this in the tech forum, but figued Id get more responses here...

Im running a d16y8 turbo tuned via wideband/uberdata running 7psi internally gated. Ive had an adjustable cam gear (AEM) on my car for a while (pre-turbo), but am wondering now that im boosted - what should it be set to? I know its possible to change the timing via uberdata, so ive been told to just leave the adj. cam gear at 0 and adjust the timing via uberdata. I really need someone to confirm that that's true...and if this was the case, then whats the point of the adj. cam gear? Wouldn't it be almost better to just put the OEM one back on?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up for help please..
Old 02-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most sohc people leave it at 0 because there isnt much power to be made if its adjusted

thats just what i've gathered on here, any more info?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AbitAvenger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AbitAvenger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think most sohc people leave it at 0 because there isnt much power to be made if its adjusted

thats just what i've gathered on here, any more info?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, so far Ive heard that its best to leave it at 0 and then mess with the timing via uberdata, so ive got that much. My next question is, if im just going to leave it at 0, then shouldn't I just put the OEM one back on?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:54 PM

Default Re: (sk8shorty012)

Maybe I'm not understanding your question but I think you are confusing ignition timing and tuning a cam. Ignition timing is controlled either mechnically by moving the dizzy or through Uberdata in the ignition maps, but the cam gear can only be adjusted manually. To adjust a cam gear you need a dyno to see power results, but I didn't think SOHC's could get much power with a cam gear.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (adseguy)

Correct but on a SOHC the adjustment through the cam gear effects the timing also since the distributir is attached to the same cam. Sorry I couldn't be of more help on the actual adjustment.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe I'm not understanding your question but I think you are confusing ignition timing and tuning a cam. Ignition timing is controlled either mechnically by moving the dizzy or through Uberdata in the ignition maps, but the cam gear can only be adjusted manually. To adjust a cam gear you need a dyno to see power results, but I didn't think SOHC's could get much power with a cam gear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree here. I think you have the two not mixed up, but maybe thinking they are the same thing. What he said.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe I'm not understanding your question but I think you are confusing ignition timing and tuning a cam. Ignition timing is controlled either mechnically by moving the dizzy or through Uberdata in the ignition maps, but the cam gear can only be adjusted manually. To adjust a cam gear you need a dyno to see power results, but I didn't think SOHC's could get much power with a cam gear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right, the ignition timing is set via uberdata and the valve timing is set via the cam gear. My question though, its cause people usually say "retard when boosting" does that refer to the ignition timing or valve timing via the cam gear. Basically, I know I change the ignition timing per pound of boost via uberdata, but should I mess with the cam gear at all? If not (leaving it at 0), then wouldnt it be more economical to just use the stock one?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gotboost95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Correct but on a SOHC the adjustment through the cam gear effects the timing also since the distributir is attached to the same cam. Sorry I couldn't be of more help on the actual adjustment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But that can be adjusted again through Uberdata or the dizzy itself.....that wouldn't effect it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sk8shorty012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Right, the ignition timing is set via uberdata and the valve timing is set via the cam gear. My question though, its cause people usually say "retard when boosting" does that refer to the ignition timing or valve timing via the cam gear. Basically, I know I change the ignition timing per pound of boost via uberdata, but should I mess with the cam gear at all? If not (leaving it at 0), then wouldnt it be more economical to just use the stock one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

People always refer to ignition timing for "retarding timing in boost". Read up a little
Old 02-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
People always refer to ignition timing for "retarding timing in boost". Read up a little </TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, so then your saying to leave the cam gear at 0 then? Well then wouldnt it be more economical to just put the O.E. one back on? Ive read that adj. cam gear don't do much on SOHC and are much better suited for DOHC, but even under boost thered be no benefit? What about if I planned to build the motor lately and a camshaft was a part of that? Wouldnt you notice better gains there as they would work hand and hand?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sk8shorty012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Okay, so then your saying to leave the cam gear at 0 then? Well then wouldnt it be more economical to just put the O.E. one back on? Ive read that adj. cam gear don't do much on SOHC and are much better suited for DOHC, but even under boost thered be no benefit? What about if I planned to build the motor lately and a camshaft was a part of that? Wouldnt you notice better gains there as they would work hand and hand?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can keep the cam gear on there. You can adjust it if you get on a dyno and get the power band where you want it. I just say set it at zero for now and if you dyno it, then play with it.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can keep the cam gear on there. You can adjust it if you get on a dyno and get the power band where you want it. I just say set it at zero for now and if you dyno it, then play with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm..well I dont really plan on dynoing it. I mean overall, would there be a noticeable gain (even later on) or if Im gonna leave it at 0, just put the stock back on? Basically, if its not gonna do me any good, then id just throw the oem back on and save some money...
Old 02-27-2006, 06:28 PM

hmm..well I dont really plan on dynoing it. I mean overall, would there be a noticeable gain (even later on) or if Im gonna leave it at 0, just put the stock back on? Basically, if its not gonna do me any good, then id just throw the oem back on and save some money...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said... It can do you good down the road if someday you want to tune the car on the dyno. It will give you another option while tuning to try to get the power/tq curve you want.

If you don't care about that, then take it off and sell it. Your choice. I say you should just keep it since you already have it.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah ill just keep it, thanks for the help..