Notices

Turbo w/ an auto trans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo w/ an auto trans?

Im looking @ getting a mild turbo kit for my Civic EX w/ the D16Y8. The problem is that I'm afraid of blowing the auto trans. I'm probably going w/ the new Garret ball bearing T25 kit. Will this hurt me at all. Any help would be cool.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be fine.
i myself am running a greddy kit arond 8-9 psi....
another guy i talk to is hitting 12psi
Old 11-24-2003, 06:11 PM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

Thanx man My wife would KILL me If I blow my trans. Did you add a trans cooler or anything?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:44 PM

Default Re: (DSMkarz)

If your wife is going to kill you for a blown transmission what well she do when the motor goes

Haha, i guess you can always tell her the battery went dead or something
Old 11-24-2003, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running boost on my auto 6gen accord. I added the largest tranny cooler I could find. So far it shifts strong and has no sign of damage.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Turbo w/ an auto trans? (DSMkarz)

Just make sure to get a tranny cooler. 7psi on a T3 setup on an '00 Integra LS. It's only been 6 months, but everything still seems to be fine. Fluid color is still good, car shifts smooth and everything.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:54 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSMkarz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanx man My wife would KILL me If I blow my trans. Did you add a trans cooler or anything?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
Old 11-25-2003, 06:40 PM

Default Re: (Mpir3)

Thanks guys I feel alot better about boosting now. I'm not too worried about blowing the motor mabey a head gasket lol.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should be fine, I boosted my auto at ~.6 bar for about 6000 miles(timing belt jumped so I decided to go b series turbo) and it held pretty strong, but I wasn't expecting it to last forever. If you plan on keeping it auto for a while I'd advise you to get a tranny cooler.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Turbo w/ an auto trans? (DSMkarz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSMkarz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im looking @ getting a mild turbo kit for my Civic EX w/ the D16Y8. The problem is that I'm afraid of blowing the auto trans. I'm probably going w/ the new Garret ball bearing T25 kit. Will this hurt me at all. Any help would be cool. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends on how much you wanted to boost. On 6-8 lbs your auto tranny should hold up fine if you dont gun it at every light. If boosting any higher or consistent hard driving than a bigger tranny cooler is your friend. When I was auto, my LS made 191whp at 8psi with a rich a/f ratio. Auto tranny loves boost, lol.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo w/ an auto trans? (Mr.DC2TurBo)

Could someone give specifics on why a tranny intercooler will be needed? I know that if the auto tranny is kept there will be no loss in boost when the car shifts.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:26 PM
EFB16ACRX

Default Re: Turbo w/ an auto trans? (wlfpck)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wlfpck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could someone give specifics on why a tranny intercooler will be needed? I know that if the auto tranny is kept there will be no loss in boost when the car shifts.</TD></TR></TABLE>all that power will put severe heat into the trans, and you need the cooler, to, well, cool it
Old 03-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo w/ an auto trans? (EFB16ACRX)

I am still learning how to drive automatics. It's not easy but I am getting there. I always get confuse when I let off the gas going downhill and the automatic shifts to a higher gear. Unless you are handicapped in any way, real car with real drivers use manual transmission.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Turbo w/ an auto trans? (Flr Power)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flr Power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless you are handicapped in any way, real car with real drivers use manual transmission.</TD></TR></TABLE>

false ..... i dont feel like goin through this again ... but the fastest domestics in the world are automatic.

honda autos= CRAP so dont try to compare honda autos to say chevy Turbo400 automatic trannys.

ever drive a vette with auto tranny ? that thing shifts fast and smooth like butter. i drove my dads vette before and i wanted my auto to be just like that, it put the power down and shifted fast and strong.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo w/ an auto trans? (project dc2)

Two identical cars with 500hp down the 1/4 mile, the manual transmission will be faster. I am not talking about 1500+ hp cars. Automatics shift fast but you loose lots of hp through the torque converter.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

false ..... i dont feel like goin through this again ... but the fastest domestics in the world are automatic.

honda autos= CRAP so dont try to compare honda autos to say chevy Turbo400 automatic trannys.

ever drive a vette with auto tranny ? that thing shifts fast and smooth like butter. i drove my dads vette before and i wanted my auto to be just like that, it put the power down and shifted fast and strong.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, perhaps you have never owned a chevy before...They break all the ****** time!!!!Cant be any worse than a honda auto as your saying...However I have no direct expierence with a turbocharged automatic honda, but I would like to try one one day...I think they would hold up fine under light/moderate boost..
Old 03-18-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Turbo w/ an auto trans? (99lspwr)

I have a boosted auto, I love it.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:47 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe the car will be faster but driving an automatic doesnt mean u have good driving skills. manual transmissions really test the drivers ability ... **** .. auto , u just give it gas and hold on tight, too boring
Old 03-18-2005, 09:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99lspwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, perhaps you have never owned a chevy before...They break all the ****** time!!!!Cant be any worse than a honda auto as your saying...However I have no direct expierence with a turbocharged automatic honda, but I would like to try one one day...I think they would hold up fine under light/moderate boost..</TD></TR></TABLE>

chevy turbo400 trannY ? well if anything they can put the power down considering a lot of supra guys are converting their 6 speed to automatic chevy turbo400 trannys im not talking about chevy luminas or whatever. im talkin about the high performance chevy's vettes. SS camaros etcc.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Turbo w/ an auto trans? (Flr Power)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flr Power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Two identical cars with 500hp down the 1/4 mile, the manual transmission will be faster. I am not talking about 1500+ hp cars. Automatics shift fast but you loose lots of hp through the torque converter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont need 1500 WHP.

my buddys both have 500 WHP supras. ones auto and the others stick. and they both will contest than the automatic is wasy faster. hence the guy with the turbo is converting over.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:01 AM

2004r &gt; turbo400, but this is a Honda board, so I digress.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not wether auto is crap or a brand sucks - it REALLY depends on the transmission. Thats like a redneck saying all straight-4's suck *** because all they know of is their grandma's '87 Plymoth Sundance.

The old-style General Motors (aka Chevy ) TH350's and TH400's are great trannies - cheap and plentiful. Becuase they can support lots of power RELIABLY, they respond very well to shift kits (yes, they work - my '67 firebird chirps into 3rd) and stall converters. Honda autos were never made to hold power - all the honda auto's I've had went to **** on me - one reved my '88 LS well past 8k rpm when it downshifted from 4th to 2nd gear when I was doing 75mph. I was lucky it didn't float a valve.

As for application, when you have shitloads of torque, you DON'T want to be shifting much. The fastest 0-60mph 6speed exotic cars typically shift into 2nd after 60mph. Exotic cars are primarly built for road handling, not the quarter mile, that's why they have manuals. With small motors, you want more gears to suit their hi-reving ability. Turbo'd Hondas bridge the gap, so as long as it's reliable, it'll be fast with all that torque. For the record, big rigs are exempt from the rule - they have trannies with more than 7 gears and a 2 speed rearend, and they need all of them.

Back on topic, use heavy duty lines and an oversized oil cooler and boost that ****!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

chevy turbo400 trannY ? well if anything they can put the power down considering a lot of supra guys are converting their 6 speed to automatic chevy turbo400 trannys im not talking about chevy luminas or whatever. im talkin about the high performance chevy's vettes. SS camaros etcc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

True, some of the older chevy trannys were strong, but I was just refering to the topic in hand, which is; I think for what the "thread starter" is asking, his application will work fine...