Notices

Turbo Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Suggestion

First off, this is not my username, im using my next door neighbors computer and name to get some info. I'd appriciate it if you'd help me out.

My neighbor has a Built b18 and a h22 and i like his cars but cost a little too much, hes going to help me out with some of his extra parts from old motors.

i have a d16z6 and i want to turbo it, he's going to tune it for me ( he tunes on hondata ) Anyways i need to know what else i need to get before i ask him to start putting it together

I have:
Vitara pistons + Eagle rods
Arp Studs + ACL Race bearings.
( 90% of a turbo kit Hes giving me the rest of it )
Chipped and Dataport'd ECU

I wanted to get a CAM but i dont want to replace valves, springs wouldnt be hard to replace so if u got any suggestions please let me know along with what else i may need

He said if i want to run over 10 PSI i need a new map is that true? if so what kind.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Suggestion

you will need a new map/tune no matter what.. every setup is different. you cant put together a car and have someone elses tune.. you need your own tune....as for putting in a cam you will need springs and valves to go with it. new head gasket etc... if he is doing this for you why dont you ask him instead of posting on here....?
Old 11-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hes rarly home, and since hes doing it for free i'd like to make it simple for him, hes being generous enough.

Im not using someone elses tune, hes tuning for me. i wanted 12 psi. As for map was he refering to a MAP Sensor or what. Im not the builder
Old 11-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

59100 (Zex) works with stock components.. but honestly, if you're going to do a cam, why not go for a cam that will give you your money's worth.. you'll have to change your components but it's worth it if you're going to do it..

bisimoto 1.2... that's what I'll be doing if I have the $...

you need a new MAP sensor to run over 11psi... that's all a stock one can handle...omni power are plug and play, which is nice, but you can get different ones cheaper too...

are you wondering about what turbo to pick? what else do you have for your turbo "kit"?
Old 11-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought most of it from my neighbor, its a garrett custom built turbo, i dont know the specs, he custom built it himself. tial waste gate a super sequencial bov, a big FMIC ( big enough the bumber doesnt fit anymore. ) ebay ic piping. He told me to get a ram horn manifold. so ive been looking at them too.

at 12 psi - 14 PSI do i need a different cam or would stock do fine.

I looked at the bisi 1.2 as well but the Springs and valves looked expensive

Would stock valves with new springs work or do i need both?
Old 11-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock cam is fine to w/e amount of boost you want/ hp you want. just forget about building the head if you dont wanna spend the money.. buy a good manifold and a 3 bar map you should have everything else so you say..
Old 11-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most of it i didnt know i even needed, i just bought from him.

Also one more question, what size injectors do i need for 12-15 PSI?
Old 11-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A stock IM+cam can do 300hp w/o much of an issue, as long as your ex manifold & exhaust doesn't suck ***. I'd suggest doing the cam AFTER you've finished a basic setup & ran it a while. It will help out spool the turbo AND give more power, but focus on completing a setup first. A sohc head is rediculously easy to change a cam & springs on while in the car anyways. A comp/zex 59300 is the weapon of choice in many cases.

A MAP sensor will be needed for >10psi because stock can't read above 11psi. A Hondata/Omni 3bar will be more than enough. I do NOT suggest GM 3bar ****.

For a turbo, STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP EBAY ****. Want a turbo that lasts more than 500 miles? It has to start as a $500+ unit. I'd suggest a 60trim T3 with a stg3 .48ar exhaust, or a 50trim t3/t4 with the same hotside. As for the manifold, STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP EBAY TUBULAR ****. You should probably start with a cast-iron LOG, and the ebay stuff is decent enough. SS tubular logs tend to offer better fitment, but a tad more expensive. The manifold below is the design you want - WG right above the turbo. I can't say if it fits a HUGE turbo or allows A/C, but the design is decent. You can look at turbod16.com for better info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CIVIC...Q5fAccessories

Lastly, make sure you lube your turbo properly. A sandwich adapter that gets FILTERED oil (meaning no cheap ebay unit) or a TEE that splits off the oil pressure sender's hole is ideal. You will also want a restrictor for the turbo, usually .060" for a Garrett journal-bearing turbo (non-BB/non-GT).