Notices

Turbo Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Question

I have a little dilima, I've already searched too.

I just bought a turbo kit, that has everything BUT a tuned / chipped ECU and injectors...

anyways; I have all my kit ready to bolt up and stuff, but I am planning on running like 3-5psi w/o tuning. I plan on getting it tuned here in a week or sooner, But I know thats bad to not tune your ecu when your running boost and everything but I was told I could run little lbs of boost w/o needing to get new injectors and tune my ecu???

if this isnt true at all, can somebody tell me? Thanks
Old 04-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even if you're on a basemap, it is a bad idea to boost at all....i wouldnt recommend it
Old 04-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">even if you're on a basemap, it is a bad idea to boost at all....i wouldnt recommend it</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh true. I understand that.. I figured it was a bad Idea.. But my buddy said if I ran like 3psi I wouldn't have any problems, then some guy at baxters told me 6psi (which I cant even understand how this is true) would be fine w/o tunning your ecu at all.. lol
Old 04-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Man U FTW

i boosted a little on my basemap, but spark blow out made it impossible to build any decent boost until after i got tuned (and got new plugs)
Old 04-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm.. what to do what to do.
I have everything.. turbo/fmic/piping/bov/mani/oil lines, vacumme lines and down pipe.

My friend is telling me I am fine, all I have to do is get it all bolted up, hook up my boost controller // boost guage and make sure Im hitting realll low psi and I should be fine for a week if not longer as long as I don't redline and just drive normal.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

It is possible to drive the car like a normal person and NOT build boost. I drove my car roughly 300 miles before I got it tuned. I drove it locally for a few days after I installed everything to make sure I had no leaks(oil/coolant/etc). Then I drove the car 220 miles to get tuned. Boost is dependant on engine load NOT rpm. You could rev the car to redlne and not build boost. Probably not good for the engine, but you could do it. Just drive like a "normal" person and you will be fine.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1158)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1158 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is possible to drive the car like a normal person and NOT build boost. I drove my car roughly 300 miles before I got it tuned. I drove it locally for a few days after I installed everything to make sure I had no leaks(oil/coolant/etc). Then I drove the car 220 miles to get tuned. Boost is dependant on engine load NOT rpm. You could rev the car to redlne and not build boost. Probably not good for the engine, but you could do it. Just drive like a "normal" person and you will be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i don't mind driving "NORMAL" but then again I don't want to expletive anything up. And Im not sure if you could help me, but a friend said not to tap anything for the oil feed, and instead buy some sandwhich thing that goes from the block to your oil filter? any clue what hes talkin bout?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Man U FTW

your best bet is to drive nice and not boost, even though its really hard to resist....the thing that kept me from beating on my car was the thought of blowing the engine and not having the money or time to rebuild it....
Old 04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your best bet is to drive nice and not boost, even though its really hard to resist....the thing that kept me from beating on my car was the thought of blowing the engine and not having the money or time to rebuild it....</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah.. I dont think i'd have a problem doin that.... ? So I say haha.. Thanks for the input and all.. but also bout my oil question, what do you guys think about that???
Old 04-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (JDM602)

Did the kit have a FMU with it? That's the only way that you're going to run boost reasonably safely. Even then keep it to 6 PSI or less, and I'd get a better fuel pump for it as well. It's not the best solution, but if you keep the boost low it should keep your stuff from blowing up until you can get it tuned.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your friend is an idiot. contact a tuner and tell him your setup and have him burn you a chip till you get it tuned. you don't want to or aren't going to, you are going to have an engine for long.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: (envee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by envee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your friend is an idiot. contact a tuner and tell him your setup and have him burn you a chip till you get it tuned. you don't want to or aren't going to, you are going to have an engine for long.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have some typos in here

I def agree though...If you're not going to do the projector right the first time, dont bother until you are ready. Again, you cannot base how much "psi" you can run on a motor with a turbo, it all depends on the kind of motor, turbo, and what your setup consists of. 5 psi is completely different on a Gt30 compared to a 14B turbo. So on this aspect, your friend is not too intelligent.

Contact John Vega (www.phearable.net) and have him make you a basemap for your setup (the kind of injectors you will be running, turbo, and motor) and you will be A LOT safer than running w/ stock injectors and no fuel management.

What motor is this anyway?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1995Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1995Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You have some typos in here

I def agree though...If you're not going to do the projector right the first time, dont bother until you are ready. Again, you cannot base how much "psi" you can run on a motor with a turbo, it all depends on the kind of motor, turbo, and what your setup consists of. 5 psi is completely different on a Gt30 compared to a 14B turbo. So on this aspect, your friend is not too intelligent.

Contact John Vega (www.phearable.net) and have him make you a basemap for your setup (the kind of injectors you will be running, turbo, and motor) and you will be A LOT safer than running w/ stock injectors and no fuel management.

What motor is this anyway?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for everybodys input.

my setup is a SOHC ZC w/ a 14b turbo setup.