Notices

running boost without a tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running boost without a tune

Hi everyone,

I have a 95 integra ls with a b20b and i put a turbo kit set for 10 psi on it not too long ago, its an ebay kit. i had some 370cc dsm injectors on it and i had a tuned ecu by CROME that the guy had on his eg civic with a ls swap with the same kit, but it wouldnt even idle right.. so i ran it with the stock ecu just to see how it ran before i got my tune.. the stock ecu ran ok until it got into boost then it just bogged out real bad.

So i had the dude who was going to tune my car check it out, and now he wont tune my car because i drove it without a tune and he said that could have damaged my motor and he thinks i'll blame it on him or something..

Now i bought some 630cc semien injectors and put the tuned ls ecu back in and it idle's good and drives fine until in boost, it still bogs out.

But anyways my main question is did i possibly damage my motor by running the turbo with a bad tune?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: running boost without a tune

yes it is very possiable!

The tuned ecu isnt working for your car, because it isnt tuned for your car. Talk it to a reputable shop and quit boosting till you get a real tune.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i know thats why it wasnt working. i was just checking bc i read and hear about alot of people running turbo's without tunes, thanks.

he's the only one who does it in my area, so i guess i gotta do a little road trip lol.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by barnie
i was just checking bc i read and hear about alot of people running turbo's without tunes, thanks.
stop believing these people and reading these things, please. No Tune, no boost. plain and simple.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i will post my buddys experience with this but do not take it as a cool thing in any way ... so my friend built his ls and was boostin 14 pounds ... now the car was running fine small break-up all the way up top under full throttle but it was real small he had rc550s in there no fpr and stock map sensor and no resistor box, when he went to go get the car tuned at rstech the tuner said it is a mirical your car is even running and boosting 14psi the car had a chipped map for a turbo gsr that was way off on tune if i remember right the car drove like this for about a year then finaly the injectors started messing up for not having a resistor box ... shocked the hell out of me , so after that it would sputter hard under light throttle you had to keep it more then light so it didnt sputter , then it over heated one day and the dizzy got messed up belive one of the wires got burnt up, so all in all the car was going about a year and small amount of change long on no tune , and *** whooped the **** out of it everyday ... i told him everyday to tune it and to stop beating the **** out of it... never did either ... the ****in thing has stock valve springs and he took it to 8.5k every gear daily... i couldnt belive it even ran it at the track couldnt get any traction ran a 14.7 at 112 in full interoir integra , then one day trades it to some jackass who takes it down the highway once and shoots the rod threw the pan ...
Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^This doesn't even make sense. A factory Honda map sensor can't read above 11.7psi, so I don't see how he was running 14.

OP, don't run any turbo car without a tune, or any heavily modded car for that matter. It's just not a good idea.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedteg1203
^This doesn't even make sense. A factory Honda map sensor can't read above 11.7psi, so I don't see how he was running 14.

OP, don't run any turbo car without a tune, or any heavily modded car for that matter. It's just not a good idea.
i agree on the fact that oem maps only read that high, but that doesn't mean the you cant push past that. you just can not tune efficiently past it.

no tune and boost equals trashed parts
Old 09-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To answer the op's question, is the car smoking? If not, then you probably are in good shape. No tune equals washed out rings if running too rich, but in your case lean conditions result in cracked ringlands. Either way, if anything is harmed then the car will produce some sort of smoke. If not, then boost it. It may not be trashed yet but running with no tune definitely weakened your engine.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks guys.
i stopped driving the car a while ago anyways, i just hope i didnt mess anything up. if i did b20's arent that expensive anyways so no big deal.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=boostedteg1203;43565721]^This doesn't even make sense. A factory Honda map sensor can't read above 11.7psi, so I don't see how he was running 14.

OP, don't run any turbo car without a tune, or any heavily modded car for that matter. It's just not a good idea.[/QUOt

thats why i said i was shocked .. even the tunner couldnt belive it .. trust me it was done somehow
Old 09-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it must of gotten pretty rich from 11.7-13 psi until it got to 14lbs with the propper amount of fuel on the stock map sensor if thats what he did???
Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do a compression test for piece of mind then get tuned
Old 09-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

basically this is what you will have to look forward to

dont boost it without a tune, the tune time is well worth the price compared to rebuilding your motor...
Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Si GUY99
do a compression test for piece of mind then get tuned
that sounds like a good idea sir, i'll deff do that before i get her tuned.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i gotta new question..
has anyone ordered a tuned ecu off phearable.net? like this right here http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcar...vtec-p-32.html
would that work? or does it still require a new tune?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i gotta new question..
has anyone ordered a tuned ecu off phearable.net? like this right here http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcar...vtec-p-32.html
would that work? or does it still require a new tune?
i would not mess with that.. your tune needs to be custom fit to all the parts you have and how your car is running. A base map will only get you to the tuner so they can dial it in. there places to cheap out and this is the last place you want to take a shortcut imo
Old 09-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah true, its just gunna be hard for me to get a tune bc all of them are like 2 to 3 hours away lol.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same problem with me. not -as- far, but all the places close wont touch your **** unless you have hondata. I gotta hike it out to a place that specializes in honda tuning. about an hour or so
Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah theirs a few shops that do hondata my way.. but i talked to this dude who does street tunes for crome, so hopefully that'll work out, i just need to fix a couple small things first.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah true, its just gunna be hard for me to get a tune bc all of them are like 2 to 3 hours away lol.
Originally Posted by lunareg
same problem with me. not -as- far, but all the places close wont touch your **** unless you have hondata. I gotta hike it out to a place that specializes in honda tuning. about an hour or so
I love when people bitch about having to drive over a couple hours to dyno, I used to drive my car over 300 miles each way to get to the dyno....
Old 09-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah theirs a few shops that do hondata my way.. but i talked to this dude who does street tunes for crome, so hopefully that'll work out, i just need to fix a couple small things first.
Don't do a street tune. Waste of your money when a few bucks more can be spent at a DYNO. If the drive is tough, go to UHAUL & rent a truck with a dolly. The extra $100 to get your vehicle safely there will be worth it. Worst case, pick up AAA premium for a year for about $100 and have your car towed to the shop.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lunareg
basically this is what you will have to look forward to

dont boost it without a tune, the tune time is well worth the price compared to rebuilding your motor...
...or this can happen also, LOL.

Stock Y8 with a Drag kit, zero tune, HAHA.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Phearable is a great place to order your ecu, and get a decent base map to get to a tuner.

John Vegas knows his ****
Old 09-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i did a compression check and it had 210 on all 4. so it should be good to go, right?
Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thats damn good, get it to the tuner

Quick Reply: running boost without a tune