Notices

Turbo Oil Drain below oil level on oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo Oil Drain below oil level on oil pan

I have a ramhorn manifold on my engine. This makes my turbo sit very low. As of now my drainline is not correct its almost level, if not sloping a little upward. my turbo smokes and leaks oil which it did not do before the manifold swap. I have the return fitting as close to the top of the oil pan as i can get the return , from my old log manifold setup. I am going to have to lower the return in my oil pan about a inch. I think you can have the oil return below the oil level in the oil pan. I took a extra oil pan and put a fitting below the oil level. Filled the pan with oil, put the fittings in the pan just how i am goning to run them. If the you pour oil in the return line it will not fill the return line up. it will fill the pan up to the top, about 2 inches above the return in the oil pan. no matter how much or how little oil you poor in. I also tried this in the sink i put the return under water and poured water in it no matter how much water you pour in will no fiil up the line until the water level passes the end of my line. I think if you had a lot of crank pressure it would back up in the return.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Oil Drain below oil level on oil pan

What you're saying makes perfect sense, and I believe an aftermarket company was running the drain line for their turbo kit back to a banjo fitting in the oil pan drain bolt.

I do wonder though whether the drain might run a bit slower with the return into the pan under the oil level? After all, oil has much more viscosity than water, so there may be significantly more resistance to flowing back into the pan that way? I'd want to use a good big drain I.D.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tjabo
What you're saying makes perfect sense, and I believe an aftermarket company was running the drain line for their turbo kit back to a banjo fitting in the oil pan drain bolt.
Greddy does on the S2000 turbo kit
Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do NOT put the oil drain under the oil level, learn from my mistake. The oil would back up into the turbo and smoke like crazy out the exhaust, i made another hole above the oil level and all was fine.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am already getting back up, smoke, oil leaks on a good turbo, so i going to try for it. i got the return as high as i can get it. but my oil has to flow staight and its not working only going to lower it 1/2 a inch will have to see.whats the worst that could happen. if this dont work i will get some kinda pump i guess