Notices

The "new" steel Moroso oil pan has been out for a while. Who's using it, and what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The "new" steel Moroso oil pan has been out for a while. Who's using it, and what do you think?

I never considered the Moroso aluminum oil pan because it couldn't hold more than 4 quarts of oil if you're using a turbo oil return. Part #20910 (steel) supposedly fixed this design flaw, and is supposed to hold 5.5 quarts of oil, but according to the web site, this doesn't take the oil filter into consideration. How many quarts do you fill your car up with when you do an oil change, and is the stock dipstick accurate? Did you use the same angle -an fittings (45 degree), or did you have to use a 90 degree at the pan since the NPT to -an adapter sticks out farther? Thanks, I appreciate the help!
Old 08-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The "new" steel Moroso oil pan has been out for a while. Who's using it, and what do you think?

i always ran 5+ quarts on my moroso pan when i had it with my old turbo setup.

the oil return was very high in the pan....maybe i had an odd design? here are some pics of where the oil return was....

You can see the tiny duct or shield that pointed the oil downards......i dont think me running 5+ quarts was a problem with this pan....

Old 08-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The "new" steel Moroso oil pan has been out for a while. Who's using it, and what do you think?

Maybe you didn't have any problems because your turbo sits higher up? Was this with the equal length manifold?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the pan you speak of (Part #20910) and it doesn't look like the pan pictured above. I don't know if Moroso changed the design or what. Anyway, I don't have it installed yet, but from what I have seen I don't think it will be a problem with a majority of the manifolds out there. I have read about people having problems with the dipstick. I'll have to wait and see about that.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i keep my oil level at 4.5 to 5 quarts cause the oil level goes over the return fitting and i buen oil and smoke. i keep it mainly at 4.5 tho. and its nice other than the second oil fitting for a temp sensor that i dont use leaks a lil and i need to put some teflon tape around it next oil change.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:33 PM
New User

I have sold some to a couple of customers, that pan is like 40 f***ing pounds!!! A little exagerration but it was heavy
Old 08-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the pan and I like it, except, for the oil return is too far from the turbo ussing inline pro or blox manifold, because the turbo compressor have to face the passenger side, so the return is kinda low but it still drains.
and when I 1st filled it up, I put 6 quarts in before it reads on my dip stick. but I still love it..they said its design to use stock pickup but I coud not get to work so I had to buy a moroso pickup.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbosnatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1158 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the pan you speak of (Part #20910) and it doesn't look like the pan pictured above. I don't know if Moroso changed the design or what. Anyway, I don't have it installed yet, but from what I have seen I don't think it will be a problem with a majority of the manifolds out there. I have read about people having problems with the dipstick. I'll have to wait and see about that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know it's not the one pictured above. There's an old thread with comparison pictures. Let us know how it works out, or PM me if you get a chance. I'd appreciate it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosnatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i keep my oil level at 4.5 to 5 quarts cause the oil level goes over the return fitting and i buen oil and smoke. i keep it mainly at 4.5 tho. and its nice other than the second oil fitting for a temp sensor that i dont use leaks a lil and i need to put some teflon tape around it next oil change.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is definitely the steel one, and not the aluminum one you're talking about?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have sold some to a couple of customers, that pan is like 40 f***ing pounds!!! A little exagerration but it was heavy </TD></TR></TABLE>

That bad, huh? Well, my car is tilted to the driver side because I'm too fat. Maybe I'll go on a diet if I decide to get one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rudebwoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used the pan and I like it, except, for the oil return is too far from the turbo ussing inline pro or blox manifold, because the turbo compressor have to face the passenger side, so the return is kinda low but it still drains.
and when I 1st filled it up, I put 6 quarts in before it reads on my dip stick. but I still love it..they said its design to use stock pickup but I coud not get to work so I had to buy a moroso pickup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sucks, because I have an Inline Pro manifold. Which engine do you have that the stock pickukp wouldn't work? How do they expect you to check your oil?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USE2B16A)

I like this pan
Old 08-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rod.)

I've got this pan. I thought the bolts over the kickout were a bitch to get to.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rwcdrums)

^^ i thought so too
Old 08-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am running 5+ quarts and i have no issues with where the return is located.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, but what about the dipstick for the rest of you guys? Is it pretty much useless?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no problem with the dipstick
Old 08-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's cool. Do you think the other people who didn't get a proper dipstick reading were using a different oil pan? How many quarts of oil do you use?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

5 quarts in my alum h22 moroso, that was before the oil cooler
Old 08-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After looking at the pictures of both pans, I'm starting to wonder if the aluminum oil drain problem is related to the shield that's directed toward the bottom of the pan. The steel version doesn't have this. It's just open space, and would be easier for the oil to drain, rather than having the resistance of the oil itself to work against.

Another H-T member I've been PMing ordered a stud kit with this. Did any of you do this as well, or would you consider that overkill?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USE2B16A)

I am using this pan a b16 motor. and I have a blox manifold, with the compressor towards the passenger side.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USE2B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know it's not the one pictured above. There's an old thread with comparison pictures. Let us know how it works out, or PM me if you get a chance. I'd appreciate it.

This is definitely the steel one, and not the aluminum one you're talking about?

That bad, huh? Well, my car is tilted to the driver side because I'm too fat. Maybe I'll go on a diet if I decide to get one.

That sucks, because I have an Inline Pro manifold. Which engine do you have that the stock pickukp wouldn't work? How do they expect you to check your oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USE2B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After looking at the pictures of both pans, I'm starting to wonder if the aluminum oil drain problem is related to the shield that's directed toward the bottom of the pan. The steel version doesn't have this. It's just open space, and would be easier for the oil to drain, rather than having the resistance of the oil itself to work against.

Another H-T member I've been PMing ordered a stud kit with this. Did any of you do this as well, or would you consider that overkill?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the stud kit is for the aluminum pans becasue the rail is so thick that the stock bolts don't work.... I just counter sunk some holes about an 1/8th inch and it worked fine with the stock hardware, and doesn't leak a drop
Old 08-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!