Notices

Turbo on my poor mans type r

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo on my poor mans type r

I currently have a poor mans type r swap in my 96 hatch and got a amazing deal on a turbo kit and have some questions if its even possiable. My motor is a jdm b18c block with gsr crank and rods with pr3 b16 pistons. The head is a 99-00 si head with obx forged valves and type r dual springs and stock 3 layer head gasket. Im not sure what kind of compression i am making but I personally think that it might be too high to boost. I dont plan on running any more than 7 psi because the bottom end isnt built. I also have a/c in my car and the turbo is a 50 trim so i was wondering if there is anyway to make that work. Any helpful comments or advice would be helpful thanks.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo on my poor mans type r

psi means nothing. set a HP goal and work from there. high compression + turbo is awesome when its set up properly a good tuner can make this work for you.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish I knew what kind of hp this set up is giving me but I have never had it dynoed. I guess I want to shoot for 250 hp because I really dont want to push it too hard because its my daily.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Trial User

Its difficult to be able to tell what your compression ratio is because PR3 likely makes several different compression ratios for their pistons. I believe a Type R (B18C5) makes 10.6:1 compression, and the highest that I have really seen with compression ratios and forced induction is about 10:1, and that is only really territory for a knowledgeable builder. As 92 sleeper pointed out, you would need somebody to tune it for you.

What all is included in your turbo kit? A turbo kit is often not complete or "bolt on" as you will most certainly need use some sort of engine management, as your stock computer is not designed at all for boost. I hope that you are aware of this, and if not it is something you should definitely look into.

Some people may disagree but a way to get a ballpark idea of your compression ratio is to do a compression test on your cylinders. I've seen that PR3 makes B16 pistons at 12:1 compression ratio in which case I would say that is definitely too high of compression.

As for your air conditioning, is the 50 trim turbo internally gated? Alot of turbo setups with external waste gates on the manifold don't allow for air conditioning because they get in the way. There are some types of log manifolds that allow for an external gate and room for power steering and air conditioning but they tend to restrict flow at higher boost levels and rpm (something you won't have to worry about if you only plan for 250hp).
Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I havent done a compression test but with the a compression calc online it says that i could be up to 11.6:1 but i dont think its that high. The kit came with everthing but that downpipe and injectors. i am current running a chipped p28 on crome with a type r(b18c5) basemap. I really just want to boost this so that i can get into the turbo game. Im not trying to go all out on this motor. Lol you have to start somewhere
Old 10-07-2012, 01:12 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by TehTaylor
I havent done a compression test but with the a compression calc online it says that i could be up to 11.6:1 but i dont think its that high. The kit came with everthing but that downpipe and injectors. i am current running a chipped p28 on crome with a type r(b18c5) basemap. I really just want to boost this so that i can get into the turbo game. Im not trying to go all out on this motor. Lol you have to start somewhere
You will still need someone to tune this car for you once it is turbo.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I know that, I think im going to tear the motor down and swap the pr3 pistons with some ls pr4 pistons and have much lower compression which will make me feel alittle safer
Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The tune will make it safe. Not the pistons.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol I understand that -_- but it will be very hard to push more boost if i wanted too with the compression numbers i have to begin with
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM
The Grumpiest

What are you LOLing about? Nothing remotely funny here.
Clearly you don't have a good grasp on what you're trying to accomplish nor what you're working with. Change the pistons all you want but you're still limited by stock internals in your block, namely, the rods. Boost! Boost! Boost! That's all you noobs ever think about. That's why the first thing out of your mouths is PSI.

Stop trying so hard to go turbo and find out what it actually takes. Start with the FAQs.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay correct me if im am wrong (which is possible because I am on this site to learn, If I knew everything this thread wouldnt exist) but from what i understand is the the more psi or "boost"(as I, the "noob" call it) the turbo builds creates more compression. I also understand that stock internals can only do so much. I also know that the most important step in all of this is the tune. I am just trying to make a safe daily. Im not trying to make some 300+ hp set up here. Like I stated above I would like to keep my a/c. I just dont see too many high compression turbo set ups and if i do they deff arent dailys. I will do some more reading up on it and thanks for the help
Old 10-07-2012, 05:43 PM
The Grumpiest

Okay correct me if im am wrong (which is possible because I am on this site to learn, If I knew everything this thread wouldnt exist) but from what i understand is the the more psi or "boost"(as I, the "noob" call it) the turbo builds creates more compression. I also understand that stock internals can only do so much. I also know that the most important step in all of this is the tune. I am just trying to make a safe daily. Im not trying to make some 300+ hp set up here. Like I stated above I would like to keep my a/c. I just dont see too many high compression turbo set ups and if i do they deff arent dailys. I will do some more reading up on it and thanks for the help
You're wrong.
Read the FAQs and stop creating your own logic to explain things you don't have a grasp on. B-series can take 300hp easily with stock internals.

As for not seeing higher compression turbo builds, you obviously aren't looking hard enough because I know for a fact there is at least one build thread right on the front page doing just that.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not as a daily, Thanks for your Help
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Not as a daily, Thanks for your Help
We've had plenty of 10.0:1 Daily commuter driven turbocharged Hondas for over 12 years on this forum. Had it not been for the theft problem that occurs with our cars, you'd see more. but it can be, has, and will continue to be done. Yes, even on stock pistons/rods.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
What are you LOLing about? Nothing remotely funny here.
Clearly you don't have a good grasp on what you're trying to accomplish nor what you're working with. Change the pistons all you want but you're still limited by stock internals in your block, namely, the rods. Boost! Boost! Boost! That's all you noobs ever think about. That's why the first thing out of your mouths is PSI.

Stop trying so hard to go turbo and find out what it actually takes. Start with the FAQs.
grumblemarc always laying down the law. bahahahahh