Notices

turbo kit? ahhh so many choices :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo kit? ahhh so many choices :(

Hi everyone!

My bottom end is an ls block, crower rods, wiseco 9:1 pistons, type r pumps, and arp hardware. My head is basically stock, but I might purchase a victor x, cams and valve train for my b16 head in the future when funds permit.

My question is what do you guys recommend? Ive looked at peak boost, go auto works, afi, and the vendor in the marketplace advertising basically an ebay kit with a turbonetics snail and tial waste gate and a better bov. Ive also considered piecing a kit together.

Whats seeming most cost effective and best for you guys? My car is a daily driver, rain shine or even snow, it will be used for circuit. Power goals? Im not too sure anymore lol, all my research has shown is people making between 350-500hp with setups similar to what Im building. What do you guys recommend?

Also how would a gt35r be? Should I look into selling my ls tranny and getting a b16 tranny? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo kit? ahhh so many choices :(

i look at a gt3076r with a .63 backhousing for your power needs very good turbo combined with a ramhorn and a 44mm gate most important thing is dont buy junk like ebay stuff
Old 12-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO Ill never understand it.

Why buy a 1200-1300 dollar turbo when u can get one for 900 that will make more, spool up faster and be much cheaper to rebuild?

Get a billet wheel. Id suggest a 5557 for your power goals.

My motor was in an Eg just like mine with an ebay kit with a 3076r. On 10psi and no vtec the car made 280whp on a very low reading dyno. The same motor is now in my car. The 30r is a 57mm wheel, my 5857 is a 58mm. I unplugged vtec and took a little fuel out just so it wouldnt run pig rich. And made 317whp on the exact same dyno.

Dont let the low numbers fool you. On 10psi with my slicks on and a good street burnout i can stay with a stock R6. Of course with Vtec. 317whp is around 380-400whp on a dynojet.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well here is the thing, and i agree whole heartedly with 30psi, whats your goal? 350 or 500?

where do you want to make your power? do you want nothing and then tire shredding horsepower?

clown the drag kit all you want, but when the fmu finally got ditched and the s200 was put on it back in 03, i had more fun with that car making 330whp.

it whored everything, i had fun, made great power, didnt spin that bad. when i swtiched to the t3t67ho full race kit, the car makes great peak power, but it is a light switch. nothing until 5k then nothing but tire smoke.

you need a more specific goal, and dont need a baller gt series turbo. a t3to4e can make great power and be a blast to drive.

think about where you want to go with the car. and build around that.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I say definitely keep it simple. with a turbo car you always wanna have money as a back up just in case stuff goes wrong (which it will)

Iv had both ram horn and a cast iron log.
you say the car will be used for circuit racing? if so I would most likely shoot for 250-300whp at the very max. any more power and its a total pain to put it all down on a road course. also your gonna want the best spool time possible so a short runner manifold would suit your needs. and if you have alot of money already for a super nice kit maybe you can cut some corners by buying a cheap manifold and use that other money to get s300 with boost by gear.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^agree on the manifold. u can get a log mani. that will work perfectly. spend ur money on the turbo and engine mgnt.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for everyones input!!

so no to the 35r idea and top mount? As for the kind of power? well I want the car to be some-what feasible as I gotta drive it to work everyday haha. Is there any particular kits I should be looking at? Or should I be looking to piece together? I dont have unlimited funds, its going to be kind of a budget build, but I really do not mind it taking along time to build.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-49/turbo-kits-return-lines-feed-lines-piping-sale-cheap-2585689/
if you scroll down to "gt turbo kits" thats what I was talking about. Opinions?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm just going to give you an idea on price. I just finished my ls turbo build a few weeks ago. I pieced everything together. Most were new parts but some were used in good shape. I spent 3,100
Old 12-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by icucnme
I'm just going to give you an idea on price. I just finished my ls turbo build a few weeks ago. I pieced everything together. Most were new parts but some were used in good shape. I spent 3,100
damn. you just ruined my life.

haha thanks for the input, what was your setup and have you tuned it yet?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just finished my ls turbo made 314/280tq and I spent about $700 total on turbo setup. just to give you an idea, its budget but it works and works very well.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
I just finished my ls turbo made 314/280tq and I spent about $700 total on turbo setup. just to give you an idea, its budget but it works and works very well.
No offence but if you spent 700 then it was ebay stuff.. Which will not last as long and who knows what your getting when you buy it.. tek9_ej2 if you want reliability and fun spend the extra cash and save yourself the hassle. don't by eBay. it will just come back to haunt you. you can buy a good go autoworks kit for 2500. with a bulleseye 57trim that will get you your 350hp. my friend has one. works great. fits well. made 335 on 10psi bone stock gsr. i mean if you are going to spend the cash spend it once. not a couple times doing things again and again
Old 12-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

youve seen my build thread and yes it is ebay stuff. like I said, Iv had a nsr-tech ram horn before and a real garrett turbo, and I can def tell the difference in quality. but that doesn't mean you can't make things work. I dont know what every one is sooo worried about with a cheap turbo kit. I mean its a honda not a Mercedes and for a street car I really don't see the need for a 3500+ dollar turbo kit. I mean even if my **** all does break and blow up, I have a 200 dollar ls long block and a 700 dollar (at the VERY most) turbo kit that makes 300+whp and 280 ft lbs of tq.

If it blows then it blows, I wont be loosing 5K on something. and to me, less money invested is less stress about worring about it blowing up or getting stolen.

I can't even imagine how it feels to blow up a 5k dollar sleeved motor.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedEF91
No offence but if you spent 700 then it was ebay stuff.. Which will not last as long and who knows what your getting when you buy it.. tek9_ej2 if you want reliability and fun spend the extra cash and save yourself the hassle. don't by eBay. it will just come back to haunt you. you can buy a good go autoworks kit for 2500. with a bulleseye 57trim that will get you your 350hp. my friend has one. works great. fits well. made 335 on 10psi bone stock gsr. i mean if you are going to spend the cash spend it once. not a couple times doing things again and again
I was looking into the go autoworks kit, but not the bullseye turbo; after reading about the problems go autoworks had with bullseye. But what if I was to piece together a kit using quality parts? worth it or should I just stick to buying a kit? I will not cheap out, but if something is going to be more cost effective and good at the same time, then I could put that money towards maybe valve train, headwork, or more towards paying for my tune. Also should I look into getting rid of my ls tranny and purchasing a b16 tranny?

thanks again everyone!
Old 12-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tek9_ej2
I was looking into the go autoworks kit, but not the bullseye turbo; after reading about the problems go autoworks had with bullseye. But what if I was to piece together a kit using quality parts? worth it or should I just stick to buying a kit? Also should I look into getting rid of my ls tranny and purchasing a b16 tranny?

thanks again everyone!
i dont believe go autoworks had a problem with bullseye/borgwarner it was someone else. but anyways. .since your looking for 350ish hp i would look into a gsr trans. similar to b16 but not so high like the ls. and still nice to drive far distance unlike b16.also. piecing together your own kit is what most people do IMO. then you can buy what you want at the price you want. as long as you buy quality. Go on the Marketplace in Forceinduction and you will find everthing you need at a used and decent price. will save you money.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by tek9_ej2
damn. you just ruined my life.

haha thanks for the input, what was your setup and have you tuned it yet?
That price included absolutely everything though. Full 3" exhaust ect ect. Even a 400 comp clutch.
blox log manifold,precision sc-34,tial 38mm wg,greddy type s bov,spooling performance 3" dp,walbro 255 fp. precison 1000's I bought ss mandrel bends from summit and had all my charge pipes and exhaust fabbed from that.
I'm waiting till spring to have it tuned. Figuring around 270-280 on 12lbs