Notices

Another turbo ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another turbo ??

Ok so sorry I have another "what turbo" question, trying to pick out my turbo kit. So my goal on the stock LS Vtec is 280-300whp, bone stock B18B1 PR3 head LS Vtec with ARP rod bolts and stock GSR head bolts. I will be building a block with forged pistons and rods ARP head studs of coarse on this one, on stock sleeves maybe a 81.5mm bore if needs be. I am going with a Go Auto turbo kit for sure I am just trying to figure out what one to get, main differences is the turbos. I was leaning towards the Street kit http://go-autoworks-store.com/gostkit.html with the 4831B turbo. I called Go Auto with a few questions on the kit and power levels and other turbo possibilities. I was recommended to go with the Street X kit instead because the turbo would meet both of my power goals and respond the way I want for a street car. I want full boost at around 3500 rpms so I can drive around in low rpms out of boost but get on it and be in boost quickly.
So I know nothing about the Bullseye Power Extended tip S200 turbo included in the X kit. The 4831B is very similar to a T3T4 57 trim .63 AR from what I understand so it will boost where I want it but fall just short of my 400whp goal. Go Auto also told me that a Garrett 57 trim will not fit with this manifold as it requires removing to much of the block webbing, that what they said. So I dont think a Garrett 60-1 would fit either??? So anyways hpw does the Bullseye Power Extended tip S200 turbo perform for my goals??
First setup will be tuned on S100 cause I already am running it. Built motor will get a S300 or Neptune RTP, not sure yet. ID1000 injector and Walbro 255lph fuel pump will cover the fuel needs. Will be running Arizona 91 pump gas. Sadly E85 is hard to find out here and you can only get 100 octane at the track and 2 gas station that are over 40 miles from me. I know this whole thing seems like a noob question. I have built 350-400whp Hondas before, Im just not familiar with the Bullseye turbo. This is not a track car this time, so I care a bit more about how the turbo performs.
Dam sorry that was long.

Last edited by nealnanoHX; 04-26-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another turbo ??

It will perform really well. I have Greg's street x kit in my gsr with the s200 turbo! Spools real quick ad I see full boost at 3... But I'm only runni g 5.5psi of boost. Great kit as well man!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Anything with the "street kit" is going to require a notching of the block to fit anything with a T04E cover, and is more than likely going to be fitted with a 5 bolt turbine housing. My real issue with this manifold is not necessarily its quality, as I'm sure Greg picks out some good materials, but it really just reminds me of the older Rev Hard manifolds from the day; decent design, but limited in flange use (to only the two bolt wastegates unless a custom elbow is made,) 5 bolt turbine design flange and a LOT of iron in the nickle that made it oxidize VERY quickly. It also made you grind the block webbing to allow for any turbo that you wanted on there, (at the time Garrett and Precision ran the block for these).

I really suggest the "tuner kit" over the "street kit" to avoid the above issues, and be able to run a series of companies of turbochargers without as much of a problem.

Now, in either case, a T04E cover is something that is always difficult to run on these cars, which is why a lot of what you see like on californiadad's, Rich7777, and other setups, even for over 500whp+ use a custom machine- fitted T0B cover for their applications. That T04B doesn't require any notching of the webbing which is why the tuner kit with a T04B fitted turbocharger would be optimal for fitment and use. It does have its limits, but they are more capable of utilizing 400+ applications than people think. It will never replace a T04S, however, in air-flow conversion.

This part gets long, so my apologies

As for the BEP turbocharger that's used as the "spec" unit, I have mixed feelings about them, since I've consulted (and still occassionally work) with BEP since about 2004. When it came to making larger turbochargers for those that wanted over 600whp +, they make some absolutely amazing units, with some fantastic compressor housing combinations. D. Hall I've known since 2002, is a great designer and a good man overall to know.

With the S247, S252 and S256 extended tip compressor wheels, there exist some great compressor wheel and housing designs, but from my experience, there was only one issue I ever had with the S200 "spec" and S252 designs; the exhaust wheels were just too largely mismatched to the compressor wheels for the Honda 1.6-2.0 litres. Once you got over the 2.0 litre point, things got a lot better in the way of response and usability, but the dynos shown with that turbocharger on even the d16 kits, seemed a bit unresponsive given the more spread out gear sets that the D-series used. So the dyno just didn't seem to accurately describe how the car actually behaved..

The reason why BEP created this combination was due to the fact that they originally had other engine platforms that they expected this turbocharger to be on; mainly DSM 2.0 litres that used a lot of torque, but not a lot of exhaust energy for higher rpm engine and compressor wheel speeds and exhaust velocities. This wasn't necessarily a big problem, but it was done because BEP wanted to make sure that in case there existed the "possibility" that the turbo may experience really high boost pressures in which the turbine wheel would have to compensate for the compressor wheel on the other end as it was being overspun, it could still make top end power. This was used in anticipation for the "big power number" that BEP wanted to make sure the turbo created, even if it was for a brief period in the rpm band.

The larger exhaust wheel that is used, even in the smaller housing (.55A/R 4/5 bolt combo), has a problem with rotational speed recovery for transitions between gears on smaller, more efficient applications like the Honda B-series, and in some cases, even the D-series engine. What resulted was a decent use of the turbo in a one gear "pull" like in a snap-shot situation on a dynomometer at relatively low boost pressures, but when it was actually used on the street, or even light circuit, the "spool" characteristics in higher rpm situations actually inhibited the capability for the compressor wheel technology that was used up front to be experienced. The smaller volute of the .55A/R housing helped, but only slightly, and not enough to change the nature of the large turbine wheel.

The silver surfer, at one time, also had this larger exhaust wheel in the Gen 1 model, since the O-trim turbine wheel/shaft was discontinued, but this was quickly changed out for this very reason in 2006-2007. the Gen 2 (current model Surfer) uses a smaller exhaust wheel in order to make up for that issue.

There are two housing possibilities available for these smaller BEP turbochargers. the nicer 4/5 bolt .55A/R, and the .70A/R V-band turbine housing are all that you get.. that's it.. There's no wiggle room for any wheel changes now, or later for the proper match up to our engine platforms. This is the issue I'm having with these so far. What I'm unsure of, is precisely which compressor wheel thier using in the "spec" turbo, so results may vary from what I'm stating.

Sorry for the book, but I get a lot of PMs about the that particular turbo

Last edited by TheShodan; 04-26-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^i know what you mean on the rev hard manifold oxidizing quickly. mine looked like it was 100yrs old two days after it was on the car... you can tell by my old setup picture in my avatar lol
Old 04-27-2012, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I got one person saying that turbo performs really well and TheShodan saying it lacks on responce between gear changes due to a poor exhaust side. Sorry Shodan but some of that went over my head, could you break it down a bit more simply, sorry it is early.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
Ok I got one person saying that turbo performs really well and TheShodan saying it lacks on responce between gear changes due to a poor exhaust side. Sorry Shodan but some of that went over my head, could you break it down a bit more simply, sorry it is early.
Just re-read carefully.

I never said that it didn't do well on lower boost pressure applications (which is what I've been experiencing so far), but when it comes to responsiveness in slightly higher pressures, transient response really suffers. If this is one's first turbo car ever, there is nothing that they can really compare it to.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the Street kit comes with B cover turbos so they will clear the block and they are 5 bolt housings. The Street X kit is coated so the mani wont rust, lower under hood temps and better thermal efficiency all very nice but not make or break for me and my goals. Nice to have though since I live in Arizona and it gets over 110 in the summer. Also uses the same cast mani as the Street kit.
So from what I am getting is the S200 turbo is a good turbo but the exhaust side is not perfect for a Honda B series higher RPM range and power band but more designed for a larger motor with more low end tq. Since I am not going to be reving the motor past 8500 since I have stock cams and valve train. Going to GSR cams on the turbo build. Maybe I should just go with the Tuner kit and the Garrett 57 trim and run that. Then I can upgrade to a larger turbo when the block is built.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anti/lag full throttle shift should help keeping response between gears. obviously more wear and tear on componets tho

my 60 trim falls out of boost bad between gears.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Yeah the Street kit comes with B cover turbos so they will clear the block and they are 5 bolt housings. The Street X kit is coated so the mani wont rust, lower under hood temps and better thermal efficiency all very nice but not make or break for me and my goals. Nice to have though since I live in Arizona and it gets over 110 in the summer. Also uses the same cast mani as the Street kit.
So from what I am getting is the S200 turbo is a good turbo but the exhaust side is not perfect for a Honda B series higher RPM range and power band but more designed for a larger motor with more low end tq. Since I am not going to be reving the motor past 8500 since I have stock cams and valve train. Going to GSR cams on the turbo build. Maybe I should just go with the Tuner kit and the Garrett 57 trim and run that. Then I can upgrade to a larger turbo when the block is built.
No. the street kit does NOT come with a T04B compressor cover. It comes with the S200 turbocharger which uses a similar housing size as a T04E/T04S with a 2" outlet to the intercooler. Its about 7" in diameter.

Go-Autowerks has on their site..

"Note: A/C Compatible kits may require minor bending/moving/rearranging of the a/c lines. May require trimming of the a/c bracket. Will require notching the block".

The tuner kit comes with a 5 bolt flange to keep your a/c and ***** the housing to the side, so notching of the block is minimal. For those that want to use a 4 bolt downpipe, this is where you would use the T04B compressor cover.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by kbouchard1092
anti/lag full throttle shift should help keeping response between gears. obviously more wear and tear on componets tho

my 60 trim falls out of boost bad between gears.
you shouldn't have to go through all that to have a transient responsive setup. I've yet to see that do any good on the circuit, and still keep the turbocharger alive. Just get the right combination, and you don't need all that extra ****. See my sig
Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
you shouldn't have to go through all that to have a transient responsive setup. I've yet to see that do any good on the circuit, and still keep the turbocharger alive. Just get the right combination, and you don't need all that extra ****. See my sig
Well i agree with you. in youre opinion what would you say is the biggest reason which contributes to me having it fall of out boost and have such delay between shifting to boost back up. Its a basic set-up RAmhorn, t3/t4oe 60 trim Garrett, 3 " DP gsr cams. I will say the full throttle shift made a huge difference. i really would only use it at the track due to the added stress on componets.

The main reason is when i shift (maybe not fast enough) all boost is released thru blow off valve it just takes it awhile to build back up, even when im at 7000rpm. at least a second or two. Full throttle shifting doesnt allow the pressure to realease from the charge pipes and if done quick enough should have minimal compressor surge

again to youre point it could very well have to do with my turbo selection
Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No it is the Street X kit that comes with the S200 turbo and the Street kit has the 4831B. When I called Go Auto they said the 4831B will not need block notching to clear. Now I am leaning to the Tuner kit the 57 trim. It has a better manifold that is still AC PS compatible and will allow for more turbo options in the future. This way I can run the 57 trim on the stock block and then push the turbo on the built block for a little while as I save up for a Shodan turbo. Thoughts?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Anything with the "street kit" is going to require a notching of the block to fit anything with a T04E cover, and is more than likely going to be fitted with a 5 bolt turbine housing. My real issue with this manifold is not necessarily its quality, as I'm sure Greg picks out some good materials, but it really just reminds me of the older Rev Hard manifolds from the day; decent design, but limited in flange use (to only the two bolt wastegates unless a custom elbow is made,) 5 bolt turbine design flange and a LOT of iron in the nickle that made it oxidize VERY quickly. It also made you grind the block webbing to allow for any turbo that you wanted on there, (at the time Garrett and Precision ran the block for these).

I really suggest the "tuner kit" over the "street kit" to avoid the above issues, and be able to run a series of companies of turbochargers without as much of a problem.

Now, in either case, a T04E cover is something that is always difficult to run on these cars, which is why a lot of what you see like on californiadad's, Rich7777, and other setups, even for over 500whp+ use a custom machine- fitted T0B cover for their applications. That T04B doesn't require any notching of the webbing which is why the tuner kit with a T04B fitted turbocharger would be optimal for fitment and use. It does have its limits, but they are more capable of utilizing 400+ applications than people think. It will never replace a T04S, however, in air-flow conversion.

This part gets long, so my apologies

As for the BEP turbocharger that's used as the "spec" unit, I have mixed feelings about them, since I've consulted (and still occassionally work) with BEP since about 2004. When it came to making larger turbochargers for those that wanted over 600whp +, they make some absolutely amazing units, with some fantastic compressor housing combinations. D. Hall I've known since 2002, is a great designer and a good man overall to know.

With the S247, S252 and S256 extended tip compressor wheels, there exist some great compressor wheel and housing designs, but from my experience, there was only one issue I ever had with the S200 "spec" and S252 designs; the exhaust wheels were just too largely mismatched to the compressor wheels for the Honda 1.6-2.0 litres. Once you got over the 2.0 litre point, things got a lot better in the way of response and usability, but the dynos shown with that turbocharger on even the d16 kits, seemed a bit unresponsive given the more spread out gear sets that the D-series used. So the dyno just didn't seem to accurately describe how the car actually behaved..

The reason why BEP created this combination was due to the fact that they originally had other engine platforms that they expected this turbocharger to be on; mainly DSM 2.0 litres that used a lot of torque, but not a lot of exhaust energy for higher rpm engine and compressor wheel speeds and exhaust velocities. This wasn't necessarily a big problem, but it was done because BEP wanted to make sure that in case there existed the "possibility" that the turbo may experience really high boost pressures in which the turbine wheel would have to compensate for the compressor wheel on the other end as it was being overspun, it could still make top end power. This was used in anticipation for the "big power number" that BEP wanted to make sure the turbo created, even if it was for a brief period in the rpm band.

The larger exhaust wheel that is used, even in the smaller housing (.55A/R 4/5 bolt combo), has a problem with rotational speed recovery for transitions between gears on smaller, more efficient applications like the Honda B-series, and in some cases, even the D-series engine. What resulted was a decent use of the turbo in a one gear "pull" like in a snap-shot situation on a dynomometer at relatively low boost pressures, but when it was actually used on the street, or even light circuit, the "spool" characteristics in higher rpm situations actually inhibited the capability for the compressor wheel technology that was used up front to be experienced. The smaller volute of the .55A/R housing helped, but only slightly, and not enough to change the nature of the large turbine wheel.

The silver surfer, at one time, also had this larger exhaust wheel in the Gen 1 model, since the O-trim turbine wheel/shaft was discontinued, but this was quickly changed out for this very reason in 2006-2007. the Gen 2 (current model Surfer) uses a smaller exhaust wheel in order to make up for that issue.

There are two housing possibilities available for these smaller BEP turbochargers. the nicer 4/5 bolt .55A/R, and the .70A/R V-band turbine housing are all that you get.. that's it.. There's no wiggle room for any wheel changes now, or later for the proper match up to our engine platforms. This is the issue I'm having with these so far. What I'm unsure of, is precisely which compressor wheel thier using in the "spec" turbo, so results may vary from what I'm stating.

Sorry for the book, but I get a lot of PMs about the that particular turbo
Has anyone ever told you that you are an encyclopedia for knowledge when it comes to turbo's?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM

No it is the Street X kit that comes with the S200 turbo and the Street kit has the 4831B. When I called Go Auto they said the 4831B will not need block notching to clear. Now I am leaning to the Tuner kit the 57 trim. It has a better manifold that is still AC PS compatible and will allow for more turbo options in the future. This way I can run the 57 trim on the stock block and then push the turbo on the built block for a little while as I save up for a Shodan turbo. Thoughts?
That's fine. I mean, Greg knows his manifold/turbo match, but more than likely is because it uses a 5 bolt Ford style flange. He'll need to change his website verbage to reflect that if its based upon your call to him.

Tuner kit would be a better choice with a nice Garrett turbocharger. (50 trim for B16, and B18B, 57 Trim for B18C and LS/VTEC) Stay in 4 bolt housing if possible, please.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by kbouchard1092
Well i agree with you. in youre opinion what would you say is the biggest reason which contributes to me having it fall of out boost and have such delay between shifting to boost back up. Its a basic set-up RAmhorn, t3/t4oe 60 trim Garrett, 3 " DP gsr cams. I will say the full throttle shift made a huge difference. i really would only use it at the track due to the added stress on componets.

The main reason is when i shift (maybe not fast enough) all boost is released thru blow off valve it just takes it awhile to build back up, even when im at 7000rpm. at least a second or two. Full throttle shifting doesnt allow the pressure to realease from the charge pipes and if done quick enough should have minimal compressor surge

again to youre point it could very well have to do with my turbo selection
Static compression and turbine wheel/housing combination are the biggest factors for transient response as you describe.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the difference between a 5 bolt housing and a 4 bolt?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:14 PM

What is the difference between a 5 bolt housing and a 4 bolt?
"Ford Style" 5 bolt (what Go-Autowerks runs on the A/C compatible stuff) and got its name from the fact that the 1984 Ford Mustang SVO turbo used this flange as a top-mounted setup

This is the internal gated GT-R series "5 bolt"

This is for GT-R series turbos from GT28R-GT30R sizes

Standard 2.5" 4 bolt discharge for most applications. Even the larger T67s use this 2.5" flange. Most Garretts and even Precisions use this size, and make it easier for 3" downpipes, and easier to also utilize a conversion flange.

Then there is the 3" GT 4 bolt, that is Only for Garrett Steel Ball-bearing turbos.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL I know what they look like. What I should have is what is the benefit of the 4 bolt housing over the 5 bolt??
Old 04-28-2012, 07:23 AM

Easier integration of 3" downpipes, and doesn't rotate the compressor housing towards the radiator like the 5 bolt. For some reason, the bottom right bolt is a PITA to get in, and it always walks out.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah ok. I will see if they can do a 4 bolt housing and DP when I order my kit. Sadly Im still a long ways away from that. Funds are coming in slowly for this project. I am going with a 2.5" down pipe since my exhaust is 2.5 inches. I know 3" would be much better but 2.5 will get me to 300whp. I will be going to a 3" turbo back when I put in the built block and swap the turbo. Decided on the Tuner kit with a 57 trim .63 AR Garret unit and then a Shodan turbo for the built block.
Man I want boost so bad. I miss it.