Notices

some questions on built motor...cams...tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some questions on built motor...cams...tranny...

hello

I currently have a 98 b18b that I am planning to tear down and rebuild w/ sleeves, pistons, rods, etc this upcoming winter...

anyway my plan was to just build the shortblock and leave the head stock...but I really want to get a better tranny than the LS, its killing me

So I was planning on picking up a b16 or ITR tranny, but the only thing is, i think it will be way too short and not leave me with that much of a power band if I kept the b18b's stock redline

so I was thinking about those crower turbo cams that seems to be popular with the LS guys...

my question is, does anyone know how high these cams actually make power? i dont want to be revving to 8k if they top out at 7000 rpm or something

or do you guys thinkI should get custom cams...

reason I wanta b16 tranny is ebcause I have a quaife in my LS tranny now, i want to use it for the b16 tranny...i'd get gsr tranny but I hear everyone ends up getting the b16 anyway...

Old 06-20-2003, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: some questions on built motor...cams...tranny... (Response)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Response &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but I really want to get a better tranny than the LS, its killing me

</TD></TR></TABLE>
you are a genius!

anyway, do a search on crower cams. AND DONT USE THEM. they will break on you. I cannot count how many threads I have read about crower cams breaking.

Instead of getting cams, why not work the head? Cams wont do you anygood anyway with the **** flow of a ls head. When building and LS for boost, Ive heard I belive Direp, say that you should always build LS from head to block. Why not throw on a vtec head?
Old 06-20-2003, 10:49 AM

Default Re: some questions on built motor...cams...tranny... (intekragsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by intekragsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you are a genius!

anyway, do a search on crower cams. AND DONT USE THEM. they will break on you. I cannot count how many threads I have read about crower cams breaking.

Instead of getting cams, why not work the head? Cams wont do you anygood anyway with the **** flow of a ls head. When building and LS for boost, Ive heard I belive Direp, say that you should always build LS from head to block. Why not throw on a vtec head?</TD></TR></TABLE>
well im just thinking they break cuz people dont know how to install them properly? i think cheezefrog runs crower cams w/ no problems...

i'm willing to try other cams but i dont think anyone else really makes a dedicated turbo cam for top end power for the LS, the bastard of the bseries

i just want to rev to about 8 or so so the b16 tranny doesnt kill me and i have some more power band to work with..

and of course, i was gong to get the head worked, i wasnt just going to get cams and expect the world...

on another note, do any of you built LS guys go oversized valves? the intake valves are what like 2mm smaller than vtec intake valves i hear?

i'd go vtec head but its just too much work to the block...plus if i break anything..a new ls head is dirt cheap...new vtec head
Old 06-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont listen to people who say things about not running Crower. They have had problems with the cores they were using and all the new cams should have a v2 on them and are supposedly stronger then the last.
For the "smart" guys who say this. Why doesnt anyone recommend a cam instead of saying not to buy crower? Cause they dont know. WEB cams has a nice grind, but very agressive and will probably kill the rest of your valvetrain over time.
As stated above. You should definetly pay lots of attention to the LS head. Oversized valves are nice to do.....I did.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:08 PM

Default Re: some questions on built motor...cams...tranny... (93LSivic)

umm does anyone else make a valvetrain for the LS? importbuilders perhaps?

Old 06-24-2003, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Response &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm does anyone else make a valvetrain for the LS? importbuilders perhaps?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Camshaft wise. Theres a couple. Crower, Crane, Web, JG, EF-1 which are regrinds and basically anyone can put their name on a grind. Im sure there are more out there, this is off the top of my head.