Notices

Turbo H22? 14B?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 06:51 PM
MadCityLude

Default Turbo H22?

I am really just trying to get some accurate answers here is all? I am serioiusly thinking of MILDLY boosting my STOCK H22. I have been told around 7psi with 14B is safe for daily driving , is this accurate? Also I am wondering whay turbo will best suit this type of application. I am planning to use a P72 with hondata s300, RC 550cc injectors, a walbro 255 fuel pump, AEM fuel rail and FPR, VAFC, GReddy turbo timer, and a pair of SKUNK 2 cam gears.

And I would like to be capable of runnning 250HP at the wheels daily

If any of these items are absolutely unneccesary or wrong please let me know.

I want to boost safely so should I run a thicker headgasket to lower my compression a little. (my setup is in my sig)

What else do I need? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Modified by EuroR92Lude at 8:23 AM 11/11/2005
Old 11-06-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo H22? 14B? (EuroR92Lude)

VAFC not need and waste of time. a 14b i would say is good for 7 psi on a h22 these turbos are underrated and take some eclipses into the 12s..! they come stock on a 2.2l dsm motor with 12psi so i think on your motor it should be good for 7psi till red line good luck.!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

psi is not what kills your motor, hp does...

just get some good tuning no matter what your goals are.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo H22? 14B? (lshatch1.8)

Open or closed deck H22? VAFC should not be used with the HONDATA system. The fuel system with the pump, regulator, injectors, and rail sounds good. Turbo size? Well that depends. Are you planning on leaving it alone for a while witht he intention to further turn up power down the road? If so that may sway your thinking on what size to get. Do you want to stay internal or external wastegate? I would say somewhere around a SC61 would be a good logical choice for now. That coupeled with the RC550 injectors will help you get to about the 300 whp mark. As far as the cam gears go, unless your tuner is going to mess with the cam timing on stock H22 cams, I would just use that money somewhere else. Unless you want $200+ car jewelry.

Good luck with the build.

Jason
Old 11-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've seen topics like this countless times. 14b turbos are small. you might get 220 whp at the most. 7 psi might not get you even that with a 14b. but see when people say 7 psi is safe for daily driving, you wont be at a constant 7 psi when you punch the pedal. it is truly about the hp.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (booja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by booja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">psi is not what kills your motor, hp does...

just get some good tuning no matter what your goals are.
</TD></TR></TABLE> very true i've been running a stock h22 turbo for 4000+ miles now with 240whp
Old 11-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Turbo H22? 14B? (lshatch1.8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lshatch1.8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they come stock on a 2.2l dsm motor with 12psi so i think on your motor it should be good for 7psi till red line good luck.!</TD></TR></TABLE>

4g63 motors are 2.0L, not 2.2L.

A 14b would be a waste of effort. Get a t3/t4 at least
Old 11-06-2005, 07:58 PM
MadCityLude

Default Re: Turbo H22? (EuroR92Lude)

OK - open or closed deck? I don't even know for sure its the Euro R H22a3

NO VAFC - not a problem

turning up power down the road? No I will probably never build up my motor to be capable

internal or external wastegate? I have no idea (pros cons of each and whats the difference)

RC550 injectors - are they big enough?

300WHP - can a stock H22 handle that daily?

NO CAM GEARS - again no problem (I thought they wre necessary tools for tuning if I used a thicker headgasket)

Thanks

Modified by EuroR92Lude at 8:22 AM 11/11/2005
Old 11-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it all depends on the motor. you'd have to get it compression tested to know how sturdy it is. and when you say daily, you mean you want to beet on it to give you 300 whp everyday, than no its not safe. either way you'd need a really good tune anyway, especially with h22's which are known for not liking too much power on a stock platform. get an external tial 38mm wg and choose the right psi spring to match the psi you are pushing for. ( i would say .4 bar) 550 cc injectors is good enough.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:13 PM
MadCityLude

Default Re: (h22boy)

Compression readings are great obout 205 on all 4.

What about the Head gasket? (how thick and which one?)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22boy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and choose the right psi spring to match the psi you are pushing for. ( i would say .4 bar) </TD></TR></TABLE>

????????? No idea what your talking about sorry !
Old 11-06-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Turbo H22? 14B? (SpeedingHatch)

my bad yeah there 2.0 motor and for the guy that said there small they push out like 210 hp stock so with a few upgrades 250 easy with still hittin full boost at 12psi in an eclipse im sure it would be fine in a h22
Old 11-07-2005, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo H22? (EuroR92Lude)

My friend have a F_max turbo kit in his car for 3 years ( 30,000 miles ) and still running fine. Bye the way he's boosting at 15PSI = 250 WHP (small turbo thats why). Its is a daily car, no winter
Old 11-07-2005, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Turbo H22? (PRELUDE-GT35R)

Also to obtain 250 hp which is very conservative for a boosted H22 (even a daily driver) you would not need cams and fuel rail and regulator all a big waste of money at this time the stock ones are rated well over your power goals. I have been running my boosted h22 which is at 8psi and 300hp for many miles and haven't had a single problem and is completly stock. AND ONCE AGAIN ......If you get a good tune you will have minimal problems with your setup.

My sugestion if you want low boost, never going to upgrade and want to spend the least amount of money just buy a pre-assembled kit. The money your going to spend on a moderate gain with a pieced kit wil just be disapointing when your finished.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo H22? (notanotherSC61)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PRELUDE-GT35R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend have a F_max turbo kit in his car for 3 years ( 30,000 miles ) and still running fine. Bye the way he's boosting at 15PSI = 250 WHP (small turbo thats why). Its is a daily car, no winter </TD></TR></TABLE>

Same exact kit that I had for sooooo long on the car with no problems either.

Jason
Old 11-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EuroR92Lude)

????????? No idea what your talking about sorry !
[/QUOTE]
when i say .4 bar spring i mean the size of the spring that will come with the eastegate. all wastegates come with a certain size spring. the higher the bar the more boost you can run, which means it bleeds off less boost out of your wastegate. this way you can make more power. a smaller psi spring means it bleeds off more boost and you make less power. with a .4 bar i believe you can run anywhere from 6 psi to 14 psi. if your getting a 14b turbo you will need a bigger psi spring to cram more boost in your engine and make more power. .4 bar might be a little too small, idn depends on how much power you want.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1 more thing. note that if you go with a smaller turbo you will have less lag and make power sooner with great low- mid rpm power but will start falling off at the top end.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 14B would be quite small for a H22. Find a turbo that will match the H22 powerband. Something like a T3 series turbo such as a T3/T4 57 trim turbo.
Precision makes pretty good turbos. If you already have a Mitsu turbo.....Precision also makes turbos that will bolt up to a stock Mitsu 4-bolt flange.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted Power)

Stick to NA bolt ons since you don't even know what half of the things are what your talking about. Seriously. Or do some reading before hand. 14b... oh man. The majority of all oem turbos are undersized for their original engines to keep reliabilty boosting. Yes you can crank up the boost on stock dsm's and run 12's but then that turbo is way out of it's effiency range and just turn in hair dryers and drastically decreasing the life of that turbo, and why do you think DSM have such a great reliability record. It would be a total waste to make a manifold for that turbo on that engine. Yes you could upgrade to a 16g or something larger later on but why with the larger or more popular t3/t4 platform? 7psi out of 14b isn't the same as 7psi out of a t3/t4 or just a straight t3. Go learn how to read a compressor map and do some studying on what would be ideal for your goals.

Modified by Funkmaster Ferio at 11:16 AM 11/7/2005
Old 11-10-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: (Funkmaster Ferio)

^^^^Good Call^^^^one of the smarter things ive heard someone say on here in the last few days
Old 11-11-2005, 05:18 AM
MadCityLude

Default Re: (notanotherSC61)

The reason I was wondering about the 14B is cause I got a hella good hookup for a OEM eclipse 1st gen turbo kit. IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN MY FIRST CHOICE! And the reason I put up the post was to get answers on my questions not comments as to how much I know or dont know. I am here to learn!
And on top of that how am I going to learn anything when guys like you 2 just go through all the posts and put up stupid comments that are not even related to the question.
Some people actually come to these forums to help others
And some actually come to LEARN something!
And if either of you can say you were BORN knowing everything about TURBOS and CARS I will say you are nuts.
Everyone has to learn somewhere! I am trying to learn from people with experience doing this sort of thing.
And as it says IN THE RULES all comments are to be related to the topic and question.
Thanks and have a great day
Old 11-16-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EuroR92Lude)

I learned from reading and actually doing it. Doing something yourself and learning that way is more educational then having someone telling youwhat needs to be done. If you want to boost it with a 14b then do so and the learn from doing the install and then you have the experience of installing and fabricating a kit. Read the FAQ's. Thats what their there for. Pick up a book. Alot of that stuff is just hyped up stuff. If your looking just to boost your ride with no fancy frills and still be safe. You can skip half of that ****. Put a rest on that Hondata ****. Overpriced when there's other free tuning programs out there. Hondata I feel is a neccasary for with a K series swap. H,B,D,F swaps or just for the option of tuning there are a handful of free tuning programs. Just search. Everyone has to learn but looking and doing for yourself is better then just asking all the time. Do you do anything yourself with or to your car or just if someone tells you to do it?
Old 11-16-2005, 06:03 AM

Ok. Coming from someone with an H22

1: expletive the 14b - you'll just be dissapointed. Get a t3/t4e 60trim .63a/r and you'll be fine - or go larger.
2: you don't have to get the block sleeved - go with the mahle goldseries pistons and eagle rods and boost 12psi
3: you'd be making great power
4: get a damn good tune - and make sure the c/r is 9:1 or less
5: forget what he said - the hondata s300 is a great system, and most tuners recommend it.
6: don't ever rush a turbo build it takes time
7: if you're not going to take the time and patience to build the h22 right - sell it to someone who will
8: the h22 is too delicate to just mess it up
9: good luck

Or, you can jump on the bandwagon like me and get an sc61!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Funkmaster Ferio)

There not stupid comments. What are, are the ones of people who don't read and learn for themselves and just ask questions "will this work" "can I do this". Just do it and learn along the way. Nobody is gonna hand feed you. If you don't know what you need to properly turbo your car then you shouldn't be doing it. You should atleast know the basics involved with turbo'ing your car and what all the parts do and whats their there for. Not "oh I see people with these parts therefore I need them too" but for what they do I'm not really sure but other people have them so I must need them. Pick up a book or read a site on the basics of turbocharging or just Forced Induction or before that read on the working of a internal combustion engine and then move up from there. You have to crawl before you try to run a marathon from the looks of your posts that you are making. I don't say search cause more likely your just gonna look here. Look online or gasp... a library or a book store. Not in the magazine section to look at import magazine. But an actual book. There are books on just Turbocharging. They are not how to turbo your h22 but once you know the working of how and why then you can relate that to your own car and setup. Then you'll see what you actually need and not have to ask.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:07 AM

Well i agree; however, some people just don't have a passion for cars. He just owns an h22 and he wants to throw a turbo on it, no shame in that.

My suggestion - go talk with your local tuner shop - and they'll provide you with the information. Or just have them build it for you. But definately don't throw a 14b on it - you will be SOOOO dissapointed. i mean seriously. You could do a weight reduction and beat a h22 boosted on a 14b.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheKingPin)

What is a shame is people who just want someone to tell them how to do something instead of doing it for themselves and the reason and how of what does what. Every post almost that I've seen so far from him are "can I do this" just plain ignorant to actually do some reading to which he could of answered his own questions. What does hondata offer to which Crome, uber, or the other handful of tuning programs out there offer. The only difference I see is a one will make your wallet emptier faster then the other and the felling of being ripped off. The only thing I'd buy from Hondata is there intake manifold gasket and even that I won't since you can get them for half the price they sell them for online and ebay which are the exact same thing. For the price of what the s300 cost I could of have a bought Crome Pro and socketed my own ecu and bought a fluxcore and the beginning of a nice turbo kit. The fluxcore will pay for itself easily instead of going to a shop to get things fabricated.