Notices

TURBO CLOCKING ASSISTANCE NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBO CLOCKING ASSISTANCE NEEDED

To anyone that can help;
My new turbo just came in today. After doing the regular inspection and the such, I believe that I need to clock both sides of the turbo. The reason I say this is because, unless I'm mistaken, the oil drain hole (square) is sitting at the top and the oil feed hole (round) is sitting at the bottom. Also, on the intake side, the part that goes to the intercooler piping is facing the radiator, so I'll need for that to be facing down. Wish I had some pictures, but I don't. Anyway, if possible, I would like to get as much information as I can on turbo clocking and if possible, I would like to get some pictures of the oil feed hole and the oil drain hole. Thanks is advance for any assistance that can be provided.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: TURBO CLOCKING ASSISTANCE NEEDED (JoseCuervo)

Loosen bolts. Turn. Tighten bolts.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TURBO CLOCKING ASSISTANCE NEEDED (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Loosen bolts. Turn. Tighten bolts.</TD></TR></TABLE>
beepy;
Thanks for the quick reply. I kind of got the just of that, but I would also like to know (as stated before) the difference between the oil feed hole and the oil drain hole. The reason I ask is because when I look at the turbo while sitting on the manifold, the big, square hole is at the top and the little, round hole is at the bottom. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

return should be facing down, which is the square.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TURBO CLOCKING ASSISTANCE NEEDED (ek9vboi2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9vboi2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">return should be facing down, which is the square.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The fact that he does not know which is which frightens me.

But yea, feed(round) on top, pointing straight up as possible, return pointing as downward as possible.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TURBO CLOCKING ASSISTANCE NEEDED (Mag00n)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=734165

theres a picture in that thread of the bolts that need to be loosened. slightly loosen all and turn the turbo. all three sides of the turbo(hot,middle, cold) can be turned.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TURBO CLOCKING ASSISTANCE NEEDED (ek9vboi2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9vboi2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">return should be facing down, which is the square.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ek9vboi2;
Thanks for the reply and thanks for the help. I was just trying to make sure since the turbo came like that from the factory/seller.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mag00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But yea, feed(round) on top, pointing straight up as possible, return pointing as downward as possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Mag00n;
Don't need to be frighten because I'm trying to make sure that something is right. The turbo came like that from the factory/seller, which made no sense to me. Also, I saw some pictures of turbos being mounted that way, with the oil return side on the top, which threw me off-guard. Anyway, thanks for the help!
Old 09-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Asking lots of questions is a good thing actually. Yea, just remember that your return is gravity fed and needs to be as downward as possible with minimal(preferably zero) bends going to the oil pan.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mag00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Asking lots of questions is a good thing actually. Yea, just remember that your return is gravity fed and needs to be as downward as possible with minimal(preferably zero) bends going to the oil pan.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Mag00n;
I don't feel like screwing things up this time, so I'm going to ask as many questions as I can. I do know that my return is gravity fed and that it needs to be as straight down as possible. I just needed to know which one was it (the square one or the round one) since it came upside down. Now that I know that it's upside down, I'll be clocking both sides tomorrow afternoon. Once again, thanks for the help!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mag00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But yea, feed(round) on top, pointing straight up as possible, return pointing as downward as possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt get ur comment, but yes i do know what i am talking about. i have changed and installed a few turbos
Old 09-21-2004, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the exact same thing with my td04l turbo(wrx). but i don't see how to unbolt the compressor side. i just see one big clamp thing which looks like its for the exhaust side. no bolts anywhere..

anywone else run a wrx turbo? just lookin for some quick answers.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lkailburn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lkailburn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the exact same thing with my td04l turbo(wrx). but i don't see how to unbolt the compressor side. i just see one big clamp thing which looks like its for the exhaust side. no bolts anywhere..

anywone else run a wrx turbo? just lookin for some quick answers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

got pics? im going to guess on this one, but it prolly them t-bolt clamps holding it down? i dont know much about wrx...
Old 09-21-2004, 10:37 PM

Default Re: (ek9vboi2)

no...he's talking about the circlip, like most dsm turbos have for the compressor...its a pain if u dont have circlip pliers. but the job can be done with needlenose pliers.
check out this link for more info on how to get it out
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Turbo-rebuild.html

and talk about coincidence, i just clocked my wrx td04l today.