Notices

turbo built motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 turbo built motor questions

ok I have a 90 crx with a b16a turbo on 11psi and im wanting more then what im getting i have a spare b16a block that the rings are bad but i know i cant get much torque out of it so
kinda not worth building.
my questions are what would be a better build? ive been lookin at the b20 vtec turbo build but from what i hear is they dont rev good past 7200rpm and there sleeves are really week but make really good power as long as there not reved high

or i was thinkin of building a GSR bottom end and sticking my b16a obd0 head on that with my ctr cams and springs will the gsr rev higher and make more power?

which ever way i go im going to be running eagle rods and cp piston and have my head ported and polished. and boostwerks ef topmount manifold
some of the things im waning to know is what would be a better build to pull good power on stock sleeved bottom piston and rod combo shooting for around 450 to 500 hp and a good torque number running premium or e85

please let me know what you guys are running and power levels on stock sleeved piston and rod bottom end combo
thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: turbo built motor questions

If you have no engine at the moment and are looking to start with something fresh, i would suggest either a built LS bottom end with a GSR head OR a built GSR bottom end (with an LS crank) and a GSR head. The GSR/GSR route is a little spendier, but easier since you dont have to fuss with the external oil lines.

I have option 1. The LS/VTEC. I love it. My power numbers are in my signiture. They are a little low and i'm planning to go back to the dyno this coming summer. For now, i have an open diff which makes any more power useless anyway, but the bigger issue was that i had all kinds of stupid problems with my car, unrelated to the turbo setup; therefore, leaving me with no money for a 3rd tune this summer.

By the way, if you are planning for 450whp or so, go with E85...its amazing. Without running some odd-ball setup with tons of lag, you wont see those numbers on pump gas. If you want suggestions on the setup, i can give you plenty. I really can't say enough about my own...i simply love it
Old 09-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks what all needs to be done to run e85? i know it causes corrosion i have herd to run anodized lines and not to run rubber because it eats it away and i know alot of tunning is involved
Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

You should also realize the the bad rings in your spare block don't really matter... you're going to be BUILDING the bottom end... unless there's sleeve damage you can build that block no problem.

Good Luck.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by 1990hondacrx
thanks what all needs to be done to run e85? i know it causes corrosion i have herd to run anodized lines and not to run rubber because it eats it away and i know alot of tunning is involved
I'm running bigger injectors (1000cc) and a Walbro 255. The rest of the fuel setup is stock. That includes the pump, lines, rail, FPR, etc... As for tuning, it took no longer than any of my gasoline tunes. Just find a tuner who knows about E85 and is comfortable tuning with it
Old 09-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

E85 doesnt cause corrosion, I suggest you take a look at the e85 thread around here.

It really is the best way to go for big numbers if it is around where you live...
Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Man U FTW

Its great stuff...just filled up today at $1.91/ gal
Old 09-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes we have 6 stations in town that has e85 but i have herd in some of the rooms in here that it causes corrosion and u cant use aluminum fuel rails or the stock rubber fuel lines because it eats threw them and of corrosion in other lines that you had to use alcohol safe fuel lines
Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also what is the link to the e85 room your talking bout i have found a few but they suggested changing fuel lines and i cant find a good straight forward room about running it
Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Man U FTW

I dont know why you're thinking of replacing the fuel system. I can tell you from personal experience (AKA i run E85 in my car daily), that you dont need to bother with that. It will work fine in the stock fuel system
Old 10-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
I dont know why you're thinking of replacing the fuel system. I can tell you from personal experience (AKA i run E85 in my car daily), that you dont need to bother with that. It will work fine in the stock fuel system

im thinking of changing the fuel system to the proper system to run e 85 so i dont get corrosion and so far i have only seen what u said about it but until u open all of your fuel system up and see if there's corrosion why should i trust what one mans word is when the other side of honda tech says to change them because of the corrosion that will occur in the steel lines and e85 braking down the rubber lines
Old 10-01-2009, 05:03 AM
Man U FTW

Ok. You be the trend setter here. Have fun spending all of your money doing that. I must've missed several of the E85 threads on here...its not like i moderate this forum and am here all the time.

If you want to do it, have fun
Old 10-01-2009, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im thinking of changing the fuel system to the proper system to run e 85 so i dont get corrosion and so far i have only seen what u said about it but until u open all of your fuel system up and see if there's corrosion why should i trust what one mans word is when the other side of honda tech says to change them because of the corrosion that will occur in the steel lines and e85 braking down the rubber lines
Who has said that you need to change them? I have ran the stuff in my car and know other people who have done the same with zero issues. All you need is a proper tune and thats it..also if you want to ask a "professional" why dont you ask a tuner instead of posting on honda-tech since there seem to be such a disagreement.

Waste your money if you want to ive seen this done too many times to know what works and what doesn't