Notices

Titanium Retainers: Use them or keep stock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Titanium Retainers: Use them or keep stock?

I bought a full Super Tech valvetrain kit for my B18C. I was wondering what you guys think of running the Ti Retainers that come with it. The car will be my summer car, prolly not reaching over 8k miles a year.

I have just been reading the horror stories of them getting wear, thinning out and breaking. Will the stock retainers work with the upgraded valves and springs? For the people who are running or ran Ti retainers, have you had any problems and if so how many miles?

Old 11-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Titanium Retainers: Use them or keep stock? (maxxd97)

4k on crowers... no problems
Old 11-30-2005, 03:46 PM
rhd

use them
i know ppl with over 20k on titanium retainers with NO issues, whatso ever. hell, i have 5k of 9500rpm with 3 different sets of cams on my RLZ single springs and RLZ titanium retainers.

as long as they come from a GOOD company, then the material quality SHOULD be good...and if that's good, you've got nothing to worry about
Old 11-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (rhd)

dont you need them for dual valve springs for that second step to hold the inners in place?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rhd)

What the issue is that ti is a soft metal so it wears down alot quicker. I could have them TiN coated, but I don't have the time at the moment.

I read a post on the All Motor forum that someone checked their Ti Ret. and 3k miles later, dropped a valve and blew the engine, due to the retainer wearing thin and cracking in half.

Any more people with Ti retainers?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:26 AM
rhd

everyone i know has titanium retainers around here....well, anyone with cams or boost do.

i've not seen a local failure, ever

i think that some ppl are buying retainers cheaply, form no-name producers..and are getting low quality material

go with RLZ, Rocket, or any of the other big names...and you'll be perfectly fine
Old 12-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (maxxd97)

Just pull your valve cover off every 5000 or so miles and check them if you're worried about it. I have seen lots of threads on here where people have had them wear down fast, because of that I stuck with the stock retainers. I don't think they'll make much of a difference in performance anyways, the stock ones are so light to begin with.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Re: (maxxd97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxxd97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What the issue is that ti is a soft metal so it wears down alot quicker. I could have them TiN coated, but I don't have the time at the moment.

I read a post on the All Motor forum that someone checked their Ti Ret. and 3k miles later, dropped a valve and blew the engine, due to the retainer wearing thin and cracking in half.

Any more people with Ti retainers?</TD></TR></TABLE>

TI=soft metal, thats seems a little weird. but i have Skunk 2 titaniums in my head and i run boost and never seen any problems, nor have the 20 + good running boosted or n/a hondas running around my local area i think if someone had the problem of breaking a retainer it came from 2 things.

1) its possible that they got a bad retainer, and so they havet o make sure that everyone knows about it to cloud there judgement
2) it was just bad assembley and someone messed it up by putting it together wrong

if your doing a build i suggest trusting yourself and your builder if not youll always have these what if's and maybe's then youll never get anywhere, peolpe may have a problem with a product and it may of just been a bad product. take for example i seen alot of peolpe cram eagle rods saying they break under boost and crower wont, well ive seen both eagle and crower rods snap under boost so any product has the potential to have a problem at anytime..

if the TI retainers were breaking and wasnt a good product then im positive it wouldnt be there, peolpe would not be buying and everyperson down the road would say they are breaking and dont get them but thats not the case..

so stick with what u wanna do i it should be fine and GOOD LUCK