Notices

tightening fittings .. how much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tightening fittings .. how much is too much?

ok, for NPT-type fittings, does everybody tighten in the fitting till you don't see any thread left or do you stop when there is MAJOR resistance?

for the oil feed tap on the turbo, the DRAG feed nipple that I got was too small for the Maxrev turbo so i had to get a -3 to -4 enlarger in order for me to use the 90 degree nipple feed that came with the DRAG kit.

i began tightening the nipple screwed into the -3 to -4 fitting (-4 side going into the turbo) and about halfway, the damn thing was getting hard to tighten and a couple of turns later, i got it like 4/6th of the fitting into the feed tap .... it's HELLA TIGHT now and i didn't want to go furthur for fear of damaging something.

should i screw the fitting in all the way? am i going to have leaks if i just leave it as it is? btw, i didn't use teflon tape on the fitting.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:40 PM
filetofit

Default Re: tightening fittings .. how much is too much? (Trigun)

-3 or -4 is AN not NPT. If it is NPT, they have tapered threads so the more you screw them in the tighter the seal. A 1/8 NPT male fitting is about 3/8 diameter. On a steel 3/8 bolt, 20 ft-lbs would be enough, on a brass or aluminum fitting I'd say no more than half that, maybe less. Careful if it's an aluminum fitting, I've twisted those things apart.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: tightening fittings .. how much is too much? (filetofit)

hehe i wasn't sure on the terminology but yeah, basically i had to get the next-size up NPT fitting in order to thread it into the oil feed tap. it's pretty tight right now so i wasn't sure if i should force the whole fitting in at the risk of damaging the thread tap or the fitting.

*edit: here's what i'm talking about - https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=206479

the steel-looking fitting shown in mike's pic screwed into the feed tap - mine is brass and it's not threaded in all the way .. will i eventually have oil leaks from there?

[Modified by Trigun, 2:01 PM 6/12/2002]