Notices

supercharger maintenance?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default supercharger maintenance?

I picked up a used JRSC kit with 20k miles on the blower. Ive been looking all over for supercharger maintenance procedures on the eaton m45 but the only thing ive been able to dig up is the m90 fluid change. In fact the only supercharger oil ive been able to find is the GM supercharger oil from the dealer and various ebay coupler rebuild kits. I wanted to be sure that this thing lasts given the fact i dont know how its been used prior to me purchasing it. I know it is in pretty good condition from what i can tell, and im not expert, but the pulley end doesnt have any play in it and the teflon on the screws looks great. Only thing i notice when turning it is after like 1 revolution you can feel it get a little tight and i hear the blades touching slightly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by Spawne32; 03-07-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supercharger maintenance?

got what i needed directly from eaton

Your unit was actually built by Magnuson Products using all Eaton internal components and subassemblies. All Eaton superchargers (including aftermarket partner companies like Magnuson) use the same supercharger oil. It is called NYE 605 and can be purchased from any GM or Ford service parts distributor or dealership (usually known only as supercharger oil). The gasket between the 2 surfaces that will be broken when you disassemble it will also need to be replaced. You can use LocTite 510 (pink) liquid gasket for these 2 gaskets. Sometimes when you break the front cover seal, the seal between the next 2 surfaces stays intact and does not need replacement. That 2nd seal is only for air only so it’s less important.

You will have to remove the snout, drain the oil, replace the coupler, clean the seal surfaces with alcohol or some other solvent, let the surfaces dry, apply sealant around perimeter (make sure you go all around each bolt hole for a complete seal, and reassemble. Tighten and torque in a star type pattern. Re-fill with ~200ml of oil. This should be the amount that comes up to the threads on the oil hole when the supercharger is on a flat table.

Torque on front cover (snout) bolts = 24-30 N-m

Torque on oil plug = 7-14 N-m
Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome job coming back and answering your own question with great information for others to find.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
Awesome job coming back and answering your own question with great information for others to find.
I figured that this would have been a hot topic given the fact that supercharger oil needs to be changed along with the couplers but it seems that i was the first one to bring this up lol