Notices

Slow spool... Help.

Old 09-23-2002, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow spool... Help.

I seem to be having sloow spool time. I start hearing it (Greddy TD04H turbo, friggin size of my fist ) spool about 2,500, but don't really get any power until 3k, and dont hit full boost until after 4k or 4500. Is this normal? I have checked all of my charge pipes for leaks, and nothing. I retightened everything, and made sure all holes were plugged.

Could my internal WG be causing this to some extent? Does it open and bleed off just a little bit enough to cause it to slow the spool? I seem to be able to hold boost once I get up to it (6psi), but it takes forever to get there. I got my new BOV welded on today (1g DSM), and nothing different.

Would getting a boost controller fix this problem (IF it is the internal WG bleeding off a little bit); so that it wouldn't open the WG at all until I hit full boost? Or any other suggestions?

BTW, I have the BOV hooked to my brake booster line, and my WG going up to the nipple on my intake tube right in front of my TB. I had the WG hooked to the turbo nipple, but could never hit full boost b/c of the IC. Should I put it back there and use a boost controller to fix the problem?

jB
Old 09-24-2002, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slow spool... Help. (PeloTudo AKA Gringo)

Anyone?
Old 09-24-2002, 05:45 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

What's your exhaust set-up? Running a cat?
Old 09-24-2002, 05:45 AM
New User

Default Re: Slow spool... Help. (DSF)

flywheel helps rev up faster
Old 09-24-2002, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slow spool... Help. (Integra_Boi)

while we're on this topic, what are some good turbo flywheels.....?
Old 09-24-2002, 07:13 AM
New User

The back pressure is causing the wastegate spring to open sooner, the slow spool is the result. You need a tighter wastegate spring and a boost controller.

Full boost at 4K is not that bad, but awfully late for that small turbo.

Randy
Old 09-24-2002, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slow spool... Help. (RGAZ)

Exhaust setup is a straight 2.5" back. No cat/test pipe/ just a flange coming off the DP to 2.5" going back to a RActive muffler.

It's an internal Greddy WG. How do I replace the spring in it, and would a boost controller do much if I don't replace the spring?

I have a 9lb Fidanza FW also.

jB
Old 09-24-2002, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorta sounds like my problem....Sounds like youy need to re-do your vacume lines.
I took my vacume source from the FPR. Put 3 Tees there- 1 for the BOV 2 for the FMU and 3 for the boost gauge.
For the WG source, i tapped into the charger arm after the IC. more accurate reading because it will compensate for the presure drop.
Im sure your just having a vacume source problem. Clean up the lines a bit and make them as short as possible.
Good luck
Old 09-24-2002, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exhaust setup is a straight 2.5" back. No cat/test pipe/ just a flange coming off the DP to 2.5" going back to a RActive muffler.

It's an internal Greddy WG. How do I replace the spring in it, and would a boost controller do much if I don't replace the spring?

I have a 9lb Fidanza FW also.

jB
Im not even sure if the internals have springs?*shrug*
Boost controller will help spool faster....prevents the WG from opening up to early.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Slow spool... Help. (Cramerox)

i have a td05 and i start spooling at 2.5 and reach full boost around 3.5-4 rpm.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple solution....

http://www.DawesDevices.com

Buy the cheep "Heavy Duty Boost Controller"...about 60 bucks....

Its what I use with my T-25 setup...I have a full 10psi by 2800.
The Valve is a non bleed type, meaning it will keep the boost from the actuator until it reaches the preset level.

Works like a charm
Old 09-24-2002, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slow spool... Help. (Bryson)

If I can find it, I am going to be getting one from Home Depot for $16. It's a relief valve for like a sprinkler system. The guy I got my DSM injectors and 1g DSM BOV from uses it on his 92 Talon Tsi AWD, and runs 18psi. He gets 18psi before I can even get to 6. Damn 2.0's. Anyways, I'll check the vacuum lines again and make sure everything is looking good before I stick on the boost controller.

jB
Old 09-25-2002, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I can find it, I am going to be getting one from Home Depot for $16. It's a relief valve for like a sprinkler system. The guy I got my DSM injectors and 1g DSM BOV from uses it on his 92 Talon Tsi AWD, and runs 18psi. He gets 18psi before I can even get to 6. Damn 2.0's. Anyways, I'll check the vacuum lines again and make sure everything is looking good before I stick on the boost controller.

jB
Exactly check the vacume lines again.....dont buy a boost controller to just bandaid the problem....im pretty sure ur problem is with the vacume lines.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slow spool... Help. (Cramerox)

Check to make sure that your wastegate actuator arm is not adjusted to loose as it may never be fully closed, causing exuast to bypass the turbine.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slow spool... Help. (turbosol)

Hrmmm. Ok, this is what I did today:

Went and got the boost controller. Came home, took off the intake piping, and found my problem. I had the nipple coming off the turbo itself plugged. The screw plugging that had come out. So I fix that, and hook up the boost controller ($20 @ Lowes...w00t). I open it all the way so the WG wont open at all. I go out, hit 3rd, and spool to 10psi like crazy. Turn it all the way closed, and spool to 6psi (It wasn't blocking any air, so it was going straight to the WG and opening like normal). So I try adjusting little by little. I left it open and did a couple of open runs. For some reason now, I can't friggin hold boost 1/2 the time. I hit 3rd, climb to 6psi (Getting there around 4500-5k), then starts dropping off. It's not doing this all the time for some reason. I can hold @ 6psi sometimes, and sometimes it drops off (Tried in 3rd and 4th, about 5 times). I checked my charge pipes, and they seem tight. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking the boost controller (A.K.A. compressor tank pressure adjuster) is spraying out the boost little by little cuz I have it too loose; therefore not holding boost... It's starting to rain now, so I'll have to wait for that to die down b4 I head back out for some more runs..........On second though...Lets call it a day. Slick roads+turbo=

jB