Notices

A sad day indeed.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A sad day indeed.....

Well, I finally got a day off from work. So I slept in a bit toady....Little did I know I should have just stayed in the bed. When I got up and moving I decided to tinker on my turbo CRX some. I retuned my fueling some and took her out for a test drive. With the trusty FJO wideband doing it's thing. It looked as though I had almost everthing tuned in perfectly, part throttle and boost curves. After a few runs, I drove back to the house and popped the hood to check the plugs for detonation *just in case*... When I noticed some smoke oozing from the valve cover breather. I removed the oil cap and it comes oozing from there too.....

"Oh great, blowby" I thought

Well, out comes the compression tester. The one tool that I hate the most...Who doesn't? The engine was nice and warm, do I removed the fuse for the ECU and went to work. Well today must have been my lucky day.

#1 - 120
#2 - 185
#3 - 180
#4 - 185

Now that's a bitch, eh? Get it tuned and a cylinder takes a ****. Guess I'll be building block sometime soon. Anyone got some rods/pistons/bearings I can have.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A sad day indeed..... (Speed PHreak)

Sorry to hear that man. I haven't gotten my motor in yet to test out my aem and fjo. I guess we will see.

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:36 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

sorry to hear you dropped a cylinder...what AFR were you targeting on the FJO?

stock motor?
Old 08-30-2002, 07:41 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: A sad day indeed..... (falconGSR)

Just because you have good air to fuel doenst mean you're not gonna have detonation. During the compression stroke while the air to fuel is being compressed, and lets say the the spark plug ignites the mixture during the upstroke you will have detonation. But the air to fuel ratio can still be ie 11.9:1 and when the mixture ignites the gasses have no place to go untill your exhaust valve opens.

So when it opens your 02 reads a good air to fuel, but your timing was a tab bit too advanced.

something to consider...

art
Old 08-30-2002, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the pity falconGSR

It does suck. Well I've had the Zdyne ever since I went F/I, but I never had it dyno'd to figure out how it was running, I just tuned by the ole *** dyno. Until a month ago when I got the FJO I never had a cluse how out of whack my A/F ratio's were both in and out of boost. Guess thats my fault for being a fucktard about tuning, or Zdyne's for not giving us a proper base LS tune.

At any rate. In the off boost curves in low-mid throttle situations I was tuning to 14.7(best power/fuel usage). In WOT off bost situations I was tuning to 13.5(best power). In boost I was tuning to 12:1. So it's not like I was trying to run insanely lean a beating the **** out of my setup, when I had an accurate read out of it anyways. I guess just the constant abuse from being untuned took it's toll and when I started tuning it to make power it just couldn't take it...

Putting together a shopping list for my rebuild, suggestions welcome

Pistons: ??? 9.5:1~10:1
Rods: Eagle
Bearings: ACL

So when it opens your 02 reads a good air to fuel, but your timing was a tab bit too advanced
I feel that, thanks for the food for thought Art

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 11:57 AM 8/30/2002]
Old 08-30-2002, 07:57 AM
What is this crap?

damn....art hit the nail on the head though. you might have needed to pull more timing in boost.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm, I had the timing set @ about .5 degree's per lbs of boost. At about 10 lbs of boost I was seeing 23 degree's. Is that too advanced?

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 12:03 PM 8/30/2002]
Old 08-30-2002, 08:06 AM
What is this crap?

i'm no expert, but that sounds reasonable. here is a GSR timing map on the VTEC lobe...notice its about 28 degrees at WOT at redline.

here is the non-VTEC map...notice its at about 23 degrees at redline at WOT

perhaps you should have been taking out a little more timing. between that and the driving without the wideband...maybe thats what did it.

thanks to Hondata for the maps
Old 08-30-2002, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are a brave man....I am to afraid to check my Compression right now.
there isn't anything I can do about it anyways. Good luck. I am kinda shoping for pistons right now for my B18B. I have a set of rods.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW, bro sorry to hear that. The sad part is that I am running your program in my car. It has been in the car now for over 2 months with no problems. I went to the track and ran 14.3 @ 104.30 mph @ 8 psi on my 17" rims and regular radial tires (with a 2.5 sixty foot). I made minor tweeks to the program but that was for better driveability. The program is toxic as **** in my car but I rather be rich then lean. I too have yet to dyno my car due to my cash flow situation with my wife on maternity leave for the year. At $125 per hour I figure 2 hours would be all i need to dial her in. I am running BCPR7ES11 NGK plugs gapped at 0.30. and my fuel pressure is set at 40psi with the vaccum on. Now I don't know what your motor consists of internally but the program works great in my car and I run 15psi daily (and believe me this car gets licks every time I jump in this mah *****). But I have Eagle rods and SRP forged coconuts in it with a STR blockguard. Sorry to be winded but we are running the same program and I thought this info could help. If I were you I would pull out those injectors (mark them as to what cylinder they came out of) and flow test them. I honestly don't see the program causing this. But now is the time to run everything over with a fine tooth chome. Any questions you may have about the program or motor or how the car performs I will be more then happy to assist you.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A sad day indeed..... (MIKES)

Forgot to mention that I run my car only on Ultra 94 Sunoco up here at the pumps. I don't know what octane level you run daily but hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A sad day indeed..... (MIKES)

Well i'm glad it's working well for you. I've had a few problems with fueling namely a bad fuel pump and a clogged fuel strainer. That cuased me a good many problems until I got it figured out. You're right, the DSM injectors i'm running prolly need a good cleaning or I just need new injectors(720cc). I know that I need a new pusation dampener on my fuel rail.

Internally the engine has a GS-R gridle conversion, ARP rod bolts, Crower springs/retainers, and a set of high-lift/short duration custom cams. I spin the engine too 8000 RPM.

I know you're running a built engine MIKES, what all you got in it? I'm prolly just gonna bite the built, and do a rebuild with forged parts.

Thanks

PS: 93 Octane religously

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 12:57 PM 8/30/2002]
Old 08-30-2002, 08:58 AM
What is this crap?

what did your plugs look like? signs of detonation?
Old 08-30-2002, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear Steven. You have a PM from me.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if that motor is stock, new head gasket, a new piston, and a new piston ring. I could have her working again in 4 hours ...and only cost you $80.

liam
Old 08-30-2002, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A sad day indeed..... (liam821)

Heh....4 hours huh? I'll take that bet ! Does that include pulling the engine/turbo out of my cramped assed CRX's bay? Just kiddin man Thats that part i'm hating, it's gonna be a be a pain to pull all that crap out......oh well nothing else to do.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel for you, man. Hope she's done soon.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A sad day indeed..... (TheShocker)

That timing is not bad its actually conservative. With the LS you can get away with a lot because it has such a shitty r/s ratio. What size injectors are you running and how much power (or boost), sounds like a car i jsut dynoed 3 weeks ago.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Heh....4 hours huh? I'll take that bet ! Does that include pulling the engine/turbo out of my cramped assed CRX's bay? Just kiddin man Thats that part i'm hating, it's gonna be a be a pain to pull all that crap out......oh well nothing else to do.
Well i just did the same thing to my car last weekend...took about 1 hour to get the head and oil pan off (i pull the head with the turbo and intake manifold all on the head..one big heavy piece) another hour to swap pistons, and 2-3 hours to reinstall it all. Its not really that much work. Just a pain in the ***.

If you lived in socal i would totally help ya.

liam
Old 08-30-2002, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A sad day indeed..... (liam821)

Pulling a turbo B18 from a CRX is no slouch job. I totally understand you Speed. I did it about a month ago. I haven't wrenched on my car since, pissed me off so bad.

Speed Phreak we should talk about re-builds.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A sad day indeed..... (Doodoo)

If you didnt notice it driving, I would keep driving it till you get the parts you need.

Its obviously driving OK if you didnt notice it till you were under the hood.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A sad day indeed.....

Boosted3g:

Was wondering when you would comment Josh. I was actually running only 10lbs of boost, with 450cc DSM injectors. Though when I finally got to using the wideband to tune and doing the calculations for my duty cycle. I found that anything above 7000 RPM @ 10 psi was like over 85% duty cycle....Not really sure about power. Guess it would be kinda pointlessto go to the dynonow huh?

Liam821:

Sounds about like when I had to pull the head off 2 times in a row b/c of some f'd up cam gears causing my timing belt to play hop-scotch Took 4 bent valves, a new belt, a new tension, and a stock set of cam gears before I ever found the problem..... too Fidanza's quality control.

Doodoo:

Heh, the aforementioned cam gear trouble caused me to have to pull the head and disassemble 1/2 the turbo setup not once....but twice. Thats a pain.....i'm envious of the newer chassis and all of their damn clearance up front. Although they don't look as good as a CRX

Niedejd:

Yeah I does drive OK, but I noticed it actually when I heard that the engine sounded alittle off....Almost like it was missing on a cylinder, but not quite. I meanI'll still spin up the tires through thrid gear...So I guess you could call that OK