Notices

Fire IN my engine?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire IN my engine?!?!?!?!

Hi i have a ls-vtec turbo that I have been running for a while now, just got it dynoed last week with the stock gsr mani. Today I put on a new manifold I made, Still retains the FIV, and IACV (mounted remotely). I started it up and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes looking for leaks etc. Then suddenly smokes starts POURING out the catchcan and valve cover, like there is a fire in the block.
turn the car off to do a compression test and check the plugs, even turning the car over smoke pours from the block. well its seems my compression tester is done for, because the gauge only shoots up and then comes back down to zero on every cylinder. Two days ago i got 205-215 across the board. After the car is off, if you blow through the hose from the catch can that goes from the back of the block, smokes pours out the two oil drains in the intake side of the head (i pulled the valve cover off)
it seems that i pressurize the crank case to some extent because it is starting to push oil out of my BRAND new turbo. i run an orifice restrictor and the catchcan is vented off the stock pcv location and valve cover.

timing is spot on, plugs look ok.
all i did was put the new mani on and changed the starter and an axle.
i am buying a new comp tester tomorrow.

any help, ideas, opinions, or suggestions are greatly appreciated

THANKS!
burke
Old 04-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fire IN my engine?!?!?!?! (bdavis)

Let me get this straight......ou made your own intake manifold... :
Old 04-03-2006, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fire IN my engine?!?!?!?! (96 GSR-T)

yep, its for my master's thesis. i need to compare it to the stock one, any ideas?!?!
Old 04-03-2006, 05:11 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not that hard to build an intake manifold if you have a slight idea what you're doing, some skill and time.....

lets see some pics of it!!
Old 04-03-2006, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

here is a pic of the mani on the car. its got idividual velocity stacks that sit about 1in off the bottom of the mani. should make a good improvement over stock, i hope well if i could ever get it running.

i just did a comp test on it with the same brand as my broken one and got 60-70-70-90, but by squirting some oil in there resulted in NO change which makes me think the rings are still good. when running the smokes pours out in "puts" like per revolution of the engine. i have also noticed that my oil pan gasket is leaking to the extent that it looks like oil is being pushed out under pressure.
could i have suddenly blown a headgasket??
Old 04-03-2006, 05:58 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (bdavis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bdavis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i just did a comp test on it with the same brand as my broken one and got 60-70-70-90, but by squirting some oil in there resulted in NO change which makes me think the rings are still good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that sounds horribly low. I thought 180 was about the correct psi??

have you pulled out your dipstick to smell the oil yet?? might have gas mixing with it after being pushed past the rings.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:59 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go get a new compression tester.....

then check it on a regular car, then try it on yours.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stackz)

i have smelled the oil, its seems fine, looks good too. i think i may change it later. compression should be higher.

same new comp tester just yielded 200psi on my d16a6 in my other car, so the tester is good
Old 04-03-2006, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did maybe you run a coolant line to where it's not supposed to be going?

Pull out your sparkplugs and use a flashlight to literally look down into the holes. Does everything look ok? Is there coolant on top of the pistons?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did maybe you run a coolant line to where it's not supposed to be going?

Pull out your sparkplugs and use a flashlight to literally look down into the holes. Does everything look ok? Is there coolant on top of the pistons?</TD></TR></TABLE>

god i hope not!!! it doesnt look like there is coolant on the pistons. and the steam doesnt really smell sweet.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 AM

maybe cam gear slipped? or belt came loose?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:18 AM

what color is the smoke?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ramennoodles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ramennoodles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe cam gear slipped? or belt came loose?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that was the FIRST thing i checked, they are all PERFECT! stock gears
could a hg blown and pressurize the crank case?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:36 AM

could also be a slight coolant leak in the intake manifold gasket where the #4 cylinder is. probably would cause oil leaks, but could be the cause of the crankcase smoke
Old 04-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fire IN my engine?!?!?!?! (bdavis)

I would pull the head off and take a look. Thats really weird though.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ramennoodles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could also be a slight coolant leak in the intake manifold gasket where the #4 cylinder is. probably would cause oil leaks, but could be the cause of the crankcase smoke</TD></TR></TABLE>

how would the coolant leak cause the oil leaks??
i could see if i was getting coolant in my oil that it could be smoking, but i just drained the oil this morning and there was no coolant in the oil whatsoever.
man am i lost................
Old 04-03-2006, 09:50 AM

my bad. I meant probably could not cause oil leaks
Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 AM
at the jetties fishin'

are you showing signs of coolant loss?? like is the level in your overflow going down??

I know you said you checked the plugs...but what did they look like?? none were wet or anything??

kind of weird you're getting that much smoke and the oil hasnt got a weird color/smell to it.

no smoke coming out the tailpipe?? only from the catchcan and pcv valve?

pop your valvecover off and take a REAL good look at your valveseals. maybe one of them just simply let go and you're getting blowby from there. no smoke coming from the head when you pull off the oil filler cap??

I'm still leaning to the rings right now what with the compression results you have.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and the steam doesnt really smell sweet.</TD></TR></TABLE>
what does it smell like??

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could also be a slight coolant leak in the intake manifold gasket where the #4 cylinder is. probably would cause oil leaks, but could be the cause of the crankcase smoke</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he meant wouldnt

Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 AM

the coolant could be leak into the #4 intake port. and so it would leave no traces of it in the oil. I had a small leak there once because i didn't clean off the old gasket very good. it caused a very small leak that was just enough to give me smoke
Old 04-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

before this i did not have signs of coolant loss. i just put the intake on it, so i had to drain the coolant and refill, so it did eat up most of what was in the overflow. 1 and 4 looked wetish, which was a little wierd, but i attributed it to fuel. its like an insane amount of smoke. i noticed when i was on the dyno the other say it would be smoking a bit out of the crankcase, but i thought that to be normal. no smoke really coming out of the tail pipe, just water and normal stuff.
yes smoke comes from the head when i pulled the valve cover off. if you blow though the tube from on the back of the block, it will push smoke out the oil passages on the exhaust side of the head.

i dont see how my rings could have just suddenly went as it was just idleing after i put the new mani on. if it had done this after i had done some pulls, i would have went with ring too.
should a squirt of oil in the comb chamber up the compression is the ringland are busted???
Thanks guys!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and the last time i tried to start it, it would not really start and would die out on me, then it wouldnt start.......

thanks again!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:50 AM
at the jetties fishin'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bdavis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1 and 4 looked wetish, which was a little wierd, but i attributed it to fuel. </TD></TR></TABLE>

top off the radiator and leave the cap off and crank the engine over and see if it sprays out the top. if it does then you've got a bad hg.

also, pull all the plugs and turn it over a quick few times and then toss them back in and see if it will crank.

best results with the radiator test are with the engine running.

but those two plugs being wet the way you're saying combined with the smoke make me think either blown headgasket or cracked head. And no, you dont always get coolant in your oil with a bad hg or cracked head.

with all the smoke in the crankcase I'm leaning more to the head being cracked between the valves.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
with all the smoke in the crankcase I'm leaning more to the head being cracked between the valves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats probably the last thing i want to hear, but thats the second time i have heard it. ill be pulling the engine tomorrow morning so ill let you know what has happened.
thanks for all the help
Old 04-04-2006, 03:45 AM
at the jetties fishin'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bdavis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats probably the last thing i want to hear, but thats the second time i have heard it. ill be pulling the engine tomorrow morning so ill let you know what has happened.
thanks for all the help</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you pull the engine, if the head checks out, you might as well pull out the pistons since it's halfway there just to be sure on the rings/sleeves
Old 04-04-2006, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you tried putting on the stock manifold and attempted starting?

Quick Reply: Fire IN my engine?!?!?!?!