Notices

Running some problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:29 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running some problems

Well car is running but i still have some problems.

1. I put the 7-9 PSI spring on the WG but boost gauge reads just 3 PSI till redline..
Vacum source on the WG is to the Compressor.Vacum from Boost Gauge is on the Intake Manifold.. Can the reading be off due to Exhaust leaks? I just found out that the 2 O2 bungs were not welded completely, meaning there is exhaust leaking thru there...Also y have to do Decking to themanifold flange to the head cause it is also leaking.

2. EGT temps..I am a newbie on this so i dunno if my EGT temps are right . EGT is on the Downpipe and at WOT at the end of 3rd gear @ 7000rpms it reads 1200. Cruising it maintains between 750 and 900.. At a stop light and iddling after 30 seconds it goes to 650+/- if i havent boosted the car. Does this sounds right?

Fuel management consists of Walbro 255 hp, DSM 450 and Uberdata..

Some things to throw in that might affect above points:
IAC is still not wired up correctly(still to do that). since the IAC is not wired up correctly i have the FPR vacum disconnected so it can iddle at 900 other wise it would iddle at 200 or would stall,turning the iddle screw doesnt do anything, i can take it out completelly and would still iddle at 200.. FPR reads 50PSI (i know its too high je je)w/o vacum connected
Old 10-11-2004, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Running some problems (fjt)

im guessing its cuz all ur open vaccum sources. get to tht first. and u dont need to mess around with the idle screw, u can set ur idle in uberdata. and it will never idle right with open vaccum lines.
and its a pretty good idea to resurface the manifold flange. u wont be boosting much with a leak there. and if ur o2 is in ur downpipe, it doesnt affect as much as ur manifold leak.
and im not too familiar with egt's but most ppl i know tap it onto their manifold.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:19 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Well i know it is better to run the EGT on the Manifold..As a matter of fact it was supposed to be on the manifold but a miss comunication somewhere caused that the manifold arrived w/o the EGT tap on the manifold...so i put it on the DP cause didnt felt like being 3 more weeks w/o a ride..

If i have time in the future ill send it to Cody to be tapped in the manifold..

Would JB weld work for the O2 bungs spots that needs to be done?
Old 10-11-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: (fjt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would JB weld work for the O2 bungs spots that needs to be done?</TD></TR></TABLE>

not too sure if it can handle the heat, but give it a try. did u figure out ur boost problem yet? connect the vacuum hose back to the fpr, and where did u tap ur boost gauge? if u teed off the fpr line, like me, tht explains why ur reading are messed up. set the idle screw back to where it was, and set the idle with UD. make sure u dont have any vacuum leaks, and u'll be good to go!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Running some problems (fjt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well car is running but i still have some problems.

1. I put the 7-9 PSI spring on the WG but boost gauge reads just 3 PSI till redline..
Vacum source on the WG is to the Compressor.Vacum from Boost Gauge is on the Intake Manifold.. Can the reading be off due to Exhaust leaks? I just found out that the 2 O2 bungs were not welded completely, meaning there is exhaust leaking thru there...Also y have to do Decking to themanifold flange to the head cause it is also leaking.

2. EGT temps..I am a newbie on this so i dunno if my EGT temps are right . EGT is on the Downpipe and at WOT at the end of 3rd gear @ 7000rpms it reads 1200. Cruising it maintains between 750 and 900.. At a stop light and iddling after 30 seconds it goes to 650+/- if i havent boosted the car. Does this sounds right?

Fuel management consists of Walbro 255 hp, DSM 450 and Uberdata..

Some things to throw in that might affect above points:
IAC is still not wired up correctly(still to do that). since the IAC is not wired up correctly i have the FPR vacum disconnected so it can iddle at 900 other wise it would iddle at 200 or would stall,turning the iddle screw doesnt do anything, i can take it out completelly and would still iddle at 200.. FPR reads 50PSI (i know its too high je je)w/o vacum connected</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your exhaust leaks needs to be fixed. That is at least one of your problems. Rewire your stuff and hook everything up correctly. Then use uberdata to tune it to idle.

Word of advise, if you cant get your car to idle with uberdata then you probably shouldn't be tuning your car. Go read and lean all you can, then come back and tune your car.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:45 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver17981)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver17981 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not too sure if it can handle the heat, but give it a try. did u figure out ur boost problem yet? connect the vacuum hose back to the fpr, and where did u tap ur boost gauge? if u teed off the fpr line, like me, tht explains why ur reading are messed up. set the idle screw back to where it was, and set the idle with UD. make sure u dont have any vacuum leaks, and u'll be good to go!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Boost gauge is connected on a nipple at the back of the manifold..not the FPR..there is a "T" there and the BOV and Boost gauge vacum source are connected there..
Old 10-12-2004, 09:37 AM

what was the nipple used for b4 u hooked up the bov and the gauge?
and dont worry about the o2 bung right now, if its after the turbo, its not gonna affect anything even if it leaks.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:41 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

that nipple was not used on anything ..it is a Z6 manifold on a Y7 engine so for OBDI i didnt used it. It was capped but it is a vacum source.

I am guessing the boost problem is something with the wastegate...maybe something is not hooked up right..I disconnected the WG vacum and ran the car and Boost gauge went up in PSI..i took it to 10 PSI wit no problem...10PSI around 4.8-5k and i let off since it would've kept on boosting w/o any control.

Ill try to take the manifold to be decked at the flange.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:05 PM

sweet, so u've found ur problem. wht kinda wastegate anyway? wht spring does it have?
yea, after u get the flange resurfaced and fix ur wastegate issue, u should be good.
keep us posted.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:11 PM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

It is a Racegate from Turbonetics..Its a 42mm WG and right now it has a 7-9PSI spring(even though it boost 3PSI with vacum connected)

Ill check the diaphragm.. maybe its stuck or something like that or the gasket inside the WG needs to be replaced..
Old 10-13-2004, 05:37 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Well i think i found some of the boostless problem.. The wastegate has the adjusting screw on the top and it also has this other nipple that had a ruber cap..well the rubber was broken and i guess boost was escaping thru there.. I did a lil "ghetto" cap for it with a piece of vacum hose(capped one end with a screw and placed othe end on the WG niple)and went out for a ride...Result--&gt; from the 3 PSI it boosted, now it goes up to 5PSI so deffinitelly that was causing trouble...Now i gotta play with the adjusting screw on the WG and see if it goes up to 7PSI.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:46 AM

cool....so did u try datalogging yet? how do u like it?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:50 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Havent tried datalogging yet..I dont have a laptop..My tunner does but he lives 45 minutes away..We'll try it out next week..
Old 10-14-2004, 04:50 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Messed up a lil with the WG screw and it went up to 6PSI YAY!!! lil by lil the boost is getting where it is supposed to be..Ill screw the bolt a lil bit more today..

Feels good at 6PSI and not fine tuned yet.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:39 AM

awesome....good to hear so when are we gonna get some numbers?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:14 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe in 3 weeks or a month..I want to go to the dyno when i know all the lil bugs are corrected so i can demand full potential from the car.. Next week ill have an xtra car so i can take out the manifold and fix the exhaust leaks before and after the turbo

Old 10-15-2004, 06:09 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Well the Underhood temperatures issue is under control now.. The radiator and FMIC where heat soaking and car was overheating if i drove it during the day(90 degrees temperatures)

So i put Exhaust wrap on the Downpipe and Dumptube and that solved the overheating..Then i bought a Turbo heatshield from ATPturbo to block heat to punish the intercooler..

Heres' the result.. Dont mind the Zip ties jeje..theyre just provisional...

Wrap on DP and Duump tube and heatshield for turbo

whole setup how it looks as of today..
Old 10-15-2004, 06:25 AM

looking good

post them numbers when u get em
Old 10-15-2004, 07:39 AM

Default Re: (LSturboEH2)

lookin good fjt . and tht manifold is a piece of work!
Old 10-15-2004, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks nice!

If you don't mind me asking, what map are you running?

Is it just a base or are you using someone else's map?
Old 10-15-2004, 10:15 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

Right now i am using someone elses map and we will be modyfing from there to fine tune to our liking..Right now the map is good for 11PSI and is Rich enough to be safe and it has .65 of timing retard per pound of boost.