Notices

Running open turbo, and another question.

Old 04-13-2003, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running open turbo, and another question.

Because i wont be getting my downpipe for a while(about a month), is it bad to run open turbo? Would i have to worry about cold air getting to the valves with that short of a length of pipe or would blades help to keep it out? I dont want to damage the turbo or valves so let me know if this is a bad idea.

I also would like to know the size(exact dimensions i could ask for at a shop) of the bolts/nuts i need for the turbo/mani and mani/dp. Using a t3/to4e(garret) and a maxrev mani(dont think it makes a diff.).

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running open turbo, and another question. (blufke)

damn open turbo? i couldnt imagine the sound of that. but i would think its just as close to running w/out a header/manifold. might suffer some warping or something..........i wouldnt know tho just a suggestion.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running open turbo, and another question. (dirtySOHC's)

bump
Old 04-13-2003, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Running open turbo, and another question. (blufke)

The turbo will stop cold air from entering cylinderhead mroe than likely. I'm running open turbo pretty much (mitsu turbo with the o2 housing pointing down).

Its actually only a atd lkouder than my car was when it was n/a (2.5" catback). Its a little mroe noticable cuz the exhaust is directly in front f u, instead of like 6 feet behind you tho.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got my 3" downpipe, if you need to borrow my drag downpipe until yours gets here let me know.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:59 AM

Default Re: (B18C4-T)

my downpipe was ran over by some lowrider when it fell off so iam running open turbo right now. Your block and tranny will turn black, you reverse wire from your tranny will melt, your fan will melt, your turbo will suck in exhaust from the compressor, possibley blow up your coolant hoses, and it wont stop popping. Im getting a 3 inch dp and it will be pointed to the ground just like my rev hard one.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbospool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbospool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my downpipe was ran over by some lowrider when it fell off so iam running open turbo right now. Your block and tranny will turn black, you reverse wire from your tranny will melt, your fan will melt, your turbo will suck in exhaust from the compressor, possibley blow up your coolant hoses, and it wont stop popping. Im getting a 3 inch dp and it will be pointed to the ground just like my rev hard one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My compressor will be on the passengers side so i guess i would just have to worry about perhaps the a/c lines(but not too much). would i risk damaging the turbo or the valves in any way though? i dont want to hurt anything at all.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (blufke)

DO NOT run a turbo without a downpipe. You will melt everything in your engine bay. Someone posted a picture and everythihng in front of the motor was nuked. Running open downpipe is cool. I did that for a little bid. Its quieter than NA open header.....a lot quieter since the exhaust has 1 more thing to pass through as a muffler.

IMO I love the sound of open dp turbo, but hate the sound of open dp NA. As long as your dp runs past the oil pan, you shouldnt have much to worry about. Just try not to do it for very long.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:50 PM

Default Re: (intekragsr)

i plan on running open dp forever so i just have my new one pointed to the ground in front of the oil pan. less restriction.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (intekragsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by intekragsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DO NOT run a turbo without a downpipe. You will melt everything in your engine bay. Someone posted a picture and everythihng in front of the motor was nuked. Running open downpipe is cool. I did that for a little bid. Its quieter than NA open header.....a lot quieter since the exhaust has 1 more thing to pass through as a muffler.

IMO I love the sound of open dp turbo, but hate the sound of open dp NA. As long as your dp runs past the oil pan, you shouldnt have much to worry about. Just try not to do it for very long. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess i will wait then.