Notices

Running from the turbine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running from the turbine?

Okay, we all know that running straight from downpipe is a good way to free up exhaust gases to help the turbine spin more freely, thus quicker boost response. My question, is what about directly from the turbine. Are there any negative results from this.

I ask this, because recently my turbo car has been feeling a bit more sluggish. At first I thought, it was probably just me getting used to the increased acceleration. But I found today, that the downpipe, is being held to the turbo with only a two bolts (pissed me off, i bought 3 heat treated bolts, for 3 dollars at a turbo shop and they fall off!). And lots of exhaust gases are escaping. Could this be a reason why my car is feeling a bit slower?

At first, i thought, no way could that be playing with with my turbo system, i mean, its after the turbo spins, so it should just spin more freely then anything else, But then I thought maybe because of the leak, not enough air isn't getting to the o2 sensor, and thus the ECU is tripping up because of it. Or could it be something else?

(by the way, i know running straight from the turbine would not be possible because no o2 sensors would be present, and thus a CEL would occur.)

Any and all idea's, comments, or statements are welcomed! Thanks for reading.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running from the turbine? (EG(6)SR)

bump for my question!
Old 09-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I TTT's
Old 09-05-2003, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT
Old 09-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT any ideas guys?!
Old 09-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

75 views and still just me here.....
Old 09-05-2003, 11:20 PM

are you running the same amount of boost? how is the leak down on the engine?

what kind of downpipe setup is it? you probably should fix that, exhaust gas leaks suck in engine bays.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the reply, for any and all that are interested or have a read the thread, yesterday I got some bolts, and rebolted the downpipe to the turbine. After making sure everything was fairly tight, I took her out for a spin and to pick up my sister from work.

Even after propper warm up time, I kept my cool and decided to boost hard when I got on the freeway. (I hate boosting on residential streets so I just wait till I get to an onramp, besides I always like to boost atleast till the end of second) So I slowly turn on the ramp, start to build up the rev's, letting the cars in front of me get a healthy distance away, then when at 4k I smash the throttle, boost starts to build then, almost immediately after, the boost starts to rip! I loose traction from 6.5k-8k on dry pavement slanted upward!! I had my power back! Happily I turned on my music and went on my way.

I'm pretty happy, i was getting worried that I had blown my rings and was losing compression, and to answer your question, the boost even when it was lagging still remained at a solid 6 lbs. Even when i was running terrible, I still managed to race and win against a b20vtec in DA integra.

My only theory is that too much exhaust was escaping through the leak, and not enough emissions were reaching the o2 sensor, located at the end of the downpipe, and it caused some sort of problem with the fuel delivery. Learn something new everyday! Thanks for reading.