Notices

Running Closed Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running Closed Wastegate

i went to the track ...and i dont have a boost controller...so i decided to take the vaccumm wire off the wastegate and run a closed wastegate.....i understand how a wastegate works...when enough pressure (psi) is present it lifts the spring and lets some pressure out to ..limit pressure.....BUT when i ran closed wastegate the boost kept going i was running like 18psi before i let off ...on my t3...is this normal?? the more i floored it the boost just kept coming...let me know any input/expierence...
Old 06-03-2005, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Running Closed Wastegate (hotimportcrx)

Are you trying to destroy your motor on purpose?
Old 06-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i went to the track ...and i dont have a boost controller...so i decided to take the vaccumm wire off the wastegate and run a closed wastegate.....i understand how a wastegate works...when enough pressure (psi) is present it lifts the spring and lets some pressure out to ..limit pressure.....BUT when i ran closed wastegate the boost kept going i was running like 18psi before i let off ...on my t3...is this normal?? the more i floored it the boost just kept coming...let me know any input/expierence...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you out of your mind? you say you know how a wastegate works, and yet you removed the wastegate line? Think about what you said for a minute.

-wastegate controls boost
-wastegate works off of boost pressure
-wastegate opens when it gets boost

What do you think happens to the wastegate when it doesn't get boost like it is supposed to? it stays closed that's what. When the wastegate stays closed what happens to your boost pressure? it rises uncontrollably and wont stop until you let off the gas that's what. What did you think was gonna happen when you took off that line?

EDIT: The exhaust gas coming out of your motor has two ways to get to the tailpipe. It goes through the turbine or it goes through the wastegate. If ALL the exhaust gas from the motor goes through the turbine your boost will rise uncontrollably. That's why the wastegate is there. The wastegate lets the leftover gas past the turbine so that way your turbine spins at the correct speed to provide your desired boost level.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Running Closed Wastegate (BlueShadow)

step away from the car immediately
Old 06-03-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Floor it yO! More boost = more power!!
Old 06-03-2005, 05:16 PM

Max that bitch out! And Report back to us how fast it was...
Old 06-03-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Running Closed Wastegate (H-T)

and how big of an oil stain you left in the road
Old 06-03-2005, 06:23 PM

u sir ...... need more turbo knowledge/education

you assumed that the wastegate senses the boost and lifts . but theres no boost in the exhaust manifold if thats how you thought it worked.

you need to put pressure on the diagrphram and thats what lifts the valve open.

if you look at where the pressure port is on your wastegate maybe youll understand.

when air goes in it pushes the diaphram up which opens the valve. when you change the spring it adds more tension making it harder to push the vlave open.

by takin off the vac line. theres no boost pressure to push the diaphram up to open the valve. thus you spin that little turbo to however many psi itll make.

the way a boost controller works * MBC* is that it restricts the pressure seen at the diraphram. thus makes more boost cuz the valve doesnt open as fast.

essnetially what you did is like closing the MBC all the way I.e turning the boost up all the way
Old 06-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Running Closed Wastegate (project dc2)

wow, just think if you had two closed wastegates

that would be insane

...idiot
Old 06-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i went to the track ...and i dont have a boost controller...so i decided to take the vaccumm wire off the wastegate and run a closed wastegate.....i understand how a wastegate works...when enough pressure (psi) is present it lifts the spring and lets some pressure out to ..limit pressure.....BUT when i ran closed wastegate the boost kept going i was running like 18psi before i let off ...on my t3...is this normal?? the more i floored it the boost just kept coming...let me know any input/expierence...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude your fine. Your boost guage is just off becuase you disconnected the vaccum line. Your really only running 7 psi. Just floor it YO you will be fine, you might even run a faster time.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, it makes you wonder how people own turboed cars. I am sorry for your motor. But anyway, don't unhook the line - ever...