Notices

rod stretch gauge really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rod stretch gauge really necessary?

first off, didn't know if this was the right forum but the motor is being built for boost. i tried searching but there is not much information on if it would be ok to just use a troque wrench instead of a stretch rod gauge. i seen like one or two threads saying it is "ok" to use troque wrench instead of stretch rods gauge..but needed more information.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: rod stretch gauge really necessary? (MRturbo)

the rod streach gauge is the best way to tighten the rod bolts. period. a torque wrench is good and ok and has been used for how long? but the rod streach gauge is inexpensive and it is now how i am going to do all the engines i build from here on out.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Re: rod stretch gauge really necessary? (boostedcivicsir)

well i'm not going to be building another engine anytime soon so i was just wondering if i could use the tq. wrench and not have my motor blow up on me.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built one and only one motor. my own. i bought a stretch gauge. just peace of mind i guess. i'd recommend you buy one too.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: rod stretch gauge really necessary? (DJ Gurgla GSR)

the engine i am using now, was torque wrench'd. i would use a streach gauge. they are inexpensive from jegs. like 60 bucks if i remember. but, you should be ok w/o it. unless you have a high hp monster in the works.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the engine i am using now, was torque wrench'd. i would use a streach gauge. they are inexpensive from jegs. like 60 bucks if i remember. but, you should be ok w/o it. unless you have a high hp monster in the works.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's going to be a 300whp D-series motor. i dont know if you would consider that "high hp monster" but i think it is alot of whp for a d-series.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Mr. Badwrench

i am pushing for 600 out of the b thats in my car now and they were wrenched. so i will have my fingers crossed when we wing up the high boost on my car.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:21 PM

I would rather set my hair on fire than use a torque wrench on rod bolts.

I wouldn't even recommend that to my enemies. Use a stretch gauge, or don't do it yourself.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: rod stretch gauge really necessary? (EnzoSpeed)

Are you serious? People have been using torque wrenches for years. Whats so bad about it?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: rod stretch gauge really necessary? (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you serious? People have been using torque wrenches for years. Whats so bad about it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's a good point. thanks.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:53 PM

I used a stretch gauge and found it wasn't necessary. I used a torque wrench to install the bolts while using a stretch gauge to measure the elongation. It fell dead center of the recommended torque specs.

It's peace of mind, but torque wrenches have been used for a while so don't be scared to use one.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Re: rod stretch gauge really necessary? (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you serious? People have been using torque wrenches for years. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They've also been spinning bearings for years.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats so bad about it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never, ever been able to get the right torque with a wrench. It's always under by about 20% when I've checked it with the gauge. I've done a lot of reasearch on rod failure, and it's basically opened my eyes and made me realize that using a torque wrench on rod bolts is the #1 way to compromise your motor.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I've never, ever been able to get the right torque with a wrench. It's always under by about 20% when I've checked it with the gauge. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto, I've seen the same thing. It usually works out that I torque it to spec, then (like a torque to yield bolt) continue tightening for aprox. 30-45deg. of rotation. That seemed to get me to the target bolt strech with my setup for all of the bolts.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Re: rod stretch gauge really necessary? (stizzit)

so conclusion is if i use the tq. wrench then just troque it a little more than the specs??
Old 05-03-2006, 07:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MRturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so conclusion is if i use the tq. wrench then just troque it a little more than the specs??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, you can't just take a shot in the dark like that.

What's the big deal anyway? You can get a stretch gauge for $40. I don't understand why people don't use them.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, you can't just take a shot in the dark like that.

What's the big deal anyway? You can get a stretch gauge for $40. I don't understand why people don't use them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's not that i dont want to use it, just wont have a use for it after i am done with my build. anyways i think i'm going to get the one from summitracing. btw, where did you get your's for $40, cheapest one on summitracing is $59.99.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:11 PM

Mine was a Pro-form. $42 on ebay. I actually sold it a few months ago for $40, so it was essentially free.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:22 PM

Once you over torque a rod bolt it's junk... Wrench is just not as accurate because the reading is based on friction... Something as simple as a spec of dust changes tq readings.

Or you could just measure the bolt stretch directly...

It's a no brainer