Notices

Retrofitting SOHC Jackson Racing Supercharger to DOHC motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofitting SOHC Jackson Racing Supercharger to DOHC motor

Hi guys, currently running a D series JRSC. If I wanted to fit it to a B series, what sorta work would I need to put in? Would it net me good results?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:21 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Retrofitting SOHC Jackson Racing Supercharger to DOHC motor

Considering the port centerlines are different, no. Just no. Sell the D series one, buy a B series one.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Yes... ^^^^^^ that !!!

... unless you are going to use a B18A/B or B20 "B" series non-vtec engine, which will only require an intake manifold swap... if you can find one. You will also need to find an upper and lower tensioner assembly to replace the SOHC tensioner plate. They can be found aftermarket on Ebay.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I'd purchase a B series one, however they're basically non-existent here in New Zealand. I've never seen a B series one. I'm already running non-vtec so I wouldn't miss VTEC too much, if I were to B18B swap, what would be my required path of action?
Old 06-21-2015, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm only spitballing at the mo, summing up my ideas. I want to keep it supercharged as the car was built in conjunction with JR and North Shore Honda back in the 90's so has a lot of heritage.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:44 PM

You basically have two options. Option 1, source a B series JRSC kit. Just because they're non-existent in Kiwiland doesn't mean you can't have one shipped in Option 2, source just the intake manifold (the part between the supercharger and the head). If you thought getting a full kit was hard, that's going to be even harder - you have to find someone trying to part out a kit, that there is no reason to part out.

If you really want to keep it supercharged, it's time to start hunting.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there any way I could get my current one chopped up and fabricated to fit? If not I'll look at bringing one in from your side of the water. Would my current supercharger flow enough for a B20?
Old 06-21-2015, 01:56 PM

No. Like I said, the port centerlines are different.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you know where I can read up about port centerlines and ****?
Old 06-21-2015, 02:00 PM

It's just how it's made. The runners on the manifold do not physically line up with the ports on the head, and no flow work will fix it. I get what you're trying to say, and what you're wanting to do. It just doesn't work that way. You can't just cut and weld a new flange on.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's all good, I guess my only option would be to source a B series kit. Thanks a **** ton for the help.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Theres one on sale here for $600 almost complete!

https://honda-tech.com/classifieds-f.../#post50398936
Old 06-21-2015, 02:56 PM

That's for a GSR, though. OP is running an LS swap. It won't work for him. Good look, though.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SrslySuspect
Thanks for the responses guys. I'd purchase a B series one, however they're basically non-existent here in New Zealand. I've never seen a B series one. I'm already running non-vtec so I wouldn't miss VTEC too much, if I were to B18B swap, what would be my required path of action?

Originally Posted by SrslySuspect
guys, currently running a D series JRSC. If I wanted to fit it to a B series, what sorta work would I need to put in? Would it net me good results?
Originally Posted by NotARaCist
That's for a GSR, though. OP is running an LS swap. It won't work for him. Good look, though.
I think he still has a sohc and is thinking of a non vtec B series swap. But maybe you can look into a GSR swap or a B16 swap and run a vtec B series JRSC there more readily available then the non vtec jrsc, iv heard of people modifying the flange to fit both a GSR and B16. There was a guy selling his LS jrsc for the longest time here I'm not sure if its still for sale though. I haven't dicked around with the JRSC in years.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:27 PM

Ah, that is a possibility. My mistake.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive had both kits brand new before for a vtec B series and a D series JRSC. I can tell you the D series JRSC is much smaller compared to the vtec B series JRSC. The blower is smaller and the manifold is much smaller. I mean if you had a B series flange custom welded on the D series JRSC maniold it might work theoretically with all the correct pulleys. Or contact LHT who does custom water to air intake manifolds for the JRSC and see if the can fab something up to work. They will give you some good solid advise on what your looking for.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:32 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What everyone here seems to forget is how small the D series supercharger in the JRSC kit was...

Even the larger unit used on the B series gave less than impressive performance, same for the D series unit. Putting the smaller supercharger on the B series motor wouldn't even me worth the time and effort of doing so... A stout all motor VTEC B series could make more power than that combination. Not to mention after hacking up the JRSC D kit it would be worth even less money and even less people would want to buy it because the idea of such a small supercharger on such an efficient motor is stupid.

Save your time and money and reevaluate your goals. If you want to go B series then just sell the JRSC kit as it sits, don't hack it up. If you want to go forced induction on the B series then either find a B series JRSC kit (very rare, most are missing parts, and the power production is meh) or run a decent turbo kit.

I can't find the dyno sheet but back in the day (2006 I think) a magazine did a JRSC vs basic turbo kit test on an Integra GSR. The B18C1 in the GSR was bone stock save for the basics like an intake, exhaust, and dc sports 4-2-1 header, plug wires, and so forth (the usual basic bolt ons used back then)

First test was the 100% original JRSC kit
Second test was an out-of-the-box Gen 3 Drag turbo kit
Neither had any extras, only what came with the "kits"

When comparing dyno charts the JRSC made the most power from idle to 3,000rpm but after 3,000rpm the turbo kit made way more power and never looked back. I mean the difference in the area under the curve was HUGE. There was no noticeable lag with 57 trim T04E turbo, a perfect example of what happens when you properly size a turbo for the motor and power goals.

The drag kit ran something like 8-10psi, can't remember the exact number, along with an FMU and a missing link on the map sensor. Nothing that remotely resembles "tuning." Even on this low setting with crude engine management on 91 octane Cali **** water it made more power than the JRSC was capable of regardless of how much work you did to the JRSC kit. While both the JRSC and Drag kit could have made more power from proper tuning the Drag kit still would have made more