Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D series engines vs. B series engines--what are the advantages or disadvantages of both?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D series engines vs. B series engines--what are the advantages or disadvantages of both?

I know that overall the b series engine will probably be the better engine overall. but i'm curious to see what yur guys take on the advantages (if any) of a d series motor.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D series engines vs. B series engines--what are the advantages or disadvantages of both? (iluvja

parts are cheaper .. and honestly d series can put out good power all you need is the know how on how to make the power...
Old 02-24-2003, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D series engines vs. B series engines--what are the advantages or disadvantages of both? (iluvja

do a search, or better yet

go to dseries.org because you will get nothing but sohc hatred on this board so the topic isnt even fair here.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:49 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Cheaper, More abundant parts to find b/c almost every civic started out having one, ummm lighter weight
Old 02-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

y do peeps on this board constantly hate on the d's?
Old 02-24-2003, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because they dont understand the potential they have...
but its funny when the D series haters say that sohc suck yet they ask "whats a d16y7?" ... dont even know the engine codes, haha

at least know **** before you talk ****, not saying that i know everything or anything, but i personally go by that rule...

[Modified by Wazup, 8:59 AM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

topic is old and played out.

i am a D guy myself. i have read alot of good things about ppls outcome with boosted d series's so i went that route and hopefully i get the same thing. once i have everything for the hack ill be set.

anyway if i ever get the oppurtunity to convert over to the B side i will not hesitate.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well the B 16 can best bee compred 2 the D16Z6
both engines can hit high numbers.. no doubt...
from stock the D will have more TQ in the low RPM then the B16
and somwhere arund 5000 the B will take over.. = D16 is a good daily driver..
i think the D is good for 180 and the B is good for about 200 HP NA .. with out 2 much probs... and still have a fair engine for daily..
Old 02-25-2003, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, it all really depends on your goals. However you can make a z6/y8 faster than a b16 for less than the cost of swapping in a b16. For many of us, that is good enough.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the advantage of the b series is that it's simple. swap and go.

the d series requires more work, but its cheaper in the long run.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

b series has more aftermarket support

d series saves more gas
Old 02-25-2003, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

b series has more aftermarket support

d series saves more gas
I'm not so sure that this statement is true anymore. Just about everyone who makes b-series parts also makes d-series parts. Yeah, you do have some really high end race-only oriented stuff that is only for the b-series, but for most of us, we can find whatever we need for the b or d series.

also, since d-series are typically frowned upon, you can get some good deals when building one if you take your time.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:26 AM

Bisi...says D series rock..and for him they do!!!

That said, it will be cheaper to make a B series motor go faster (period)

I'm not hating on D series, just stating that it's going to take more money to gain the same results. Also, since more people are familiar with building the B series, it will be easier to find someone who KNOWS what they are doing! (if you can't DIY)

You can make the D series fast, just look at Bisi, but it's going to be harder.

[Modified by Z4xLSVTEC, 6:28 PM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its harder yes, but by no means more expensive. for 5 grand i can get a d16 and make it real fast. or i could buy a second gen b16 with basic bolt-on... but there wouldnt be enough for internal mods.

so you could say... i have 10 grand to spend. still your inital cost is less with the d series is still less and most of the after market parts are cheaper... silly things like only having to buy 1 cam instead of 2. it makes your money go farther.

but it is harder. it takes more work and a little more knowledge. you cant just slap on a type r this or slap on a spoon that.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:02 AM

nice zerodaze..thats how I see it too..but there are a lot of different conciderations to take...
It depends what situation you are in, and what you want from a motor...I'm definately not all about just speed...I would want a nice quick motor, thats cheap, has a good amount of aftermarket support, basically something that does the job...and I believe both do that sufficiently; but the D-series is just a bit more affordable.. Thats why I'm saving up for a D16.

If you are financially off well, then hell, get the b16. I think it all comes down to the money.
either way, I really like both them motors
Old 02-25-2003, 10:19 AM

It's the originality factor too. 400 hp D series? Yes please...
Old 02-25-2003, 10:46 AM

the b16 is a better motor but if u have a d16 all u need is about $2000 and you can beat the b16.

intake+header+cam, maybe chip and exhaust and you can walk a b16. but if you want boost/nitrouse....the b16 is the better motor 100%.

not everyone has money for a swap, thats all people ever talk about. you guys talk about swaping engines like its swaping spark plugs. if i had the money i would take a b series over the d anyday but i guess you just gotta work with what you got.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the originality factor too. 400 hp D series? Yes please...
Have fun getting traction

It all depends on what you want... daily driver, scca type car, drag car...

daily driver they are both good for that, scca id say b16 cuz u tend to stay at higher rpms and drag car id say b16 too
Old 02-25-2003, 03:17 PM

Yeah, I was ready to purchase a ITR swap (even sent out the check), but due to some circumstances, the purchase was cancelled. I'm actually glad, now, that it didn't work out - $4k is a lot of dough. Now I'm gathering parts for a d-series buildup, and it is a way more cost effective route - I can buy rims, bolt-ons, and suspension now. It takes a little longer to put a d together, but there are so many good deals on parts. I just received my complete gude z6 head package (p&p/milled head, cam, gear, ported im, bored tb, chipped ecu) along with the crinkle black jdm d15b valve cover, distributor, sensors, and new gaskets for $850. I bought it used from a member here on HT. On ebay right now, there is a jg p&p sohc head. Two weeks ago was a jg 5040 cam (non vtec) that sold for like $120. Check out the d series mb -

http://pub143.ezboard.com/bhondadseries

A d16y7 gude package sold on there for $350 with only 2000 miles on it. Granted, b series have more potential in the long run, but if you just want a quick, affordable setup, d is the way to go. It's fun too, searching for parts. And now, the Bisimoto header is complete and being sold. Sorry for the long post
Old 02-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dyno when finish an let me know what numbers you get !!.. im planing on a build D as well...
Old 02-25-2003, 03:57 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the b16 is a better motor but if u have a d16 all u need is about $2000 and you can beat the b16.

intake+header+cam, maybe chip and exhaust and you can walk a b16. but if you want boost/nitrouse....the b16 is the better motor 100%.

not everyone has money for a swap, thats all people ever talk about. you guys talk about swaping engines like its swaping spark plugs. if i had the money i would take a b series over the d anyday but i guess you just gotta work with what you got.
2,000??? please. Won't even take that. I walked B16 Del Sols, sedans, and coupes with my 80% stock D16Z6 in my, as you all would say, porky Si hatch.

With intake, custom exhaust, port/polished head, and a copper high compression head gasket...I only spent at most 500 bucks,.,..and took out all my friends with B16's. If the track was any longer than the 1/4 mile, I would have gotten spanked, cause the B16 tranny has better gearing.

With that said, the only downfall to the D series, is the tranny options. You can get final drives, and do frankenstein trannies, but it's not like throwing a ITR LSD tranny on a LS engine easy.

I'm expect to hit 160 whp daily driven D16Z6, hit low 14's with full interior, and suprise all the bseries heads .
The block I'm building niow had a bad crank, so as soon as I find another one, I'll post pics and everything.

This is all for under 1000 bucks including Hondata, new header, and all internals.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With that said, the only downfall to the D series, is the tranny options. You can get final drives, and do frankenstein trannies, but it's not like throwing a ITR LSD tranny on a LS engine easy.
not quite anymore buddy I just purchased a 4.929 final drive for my sohc vtec tranny and the SRR brands run for under 500, ask exospeedAMcrx (ht name), or Wil from http://www.exospeed.com for info on those. you can also swap in 3rd gear gear from a zc, and 3rd gear from a HF or CX(?) as your fourth for a close ratio tranny.

Tranny upgrades alone will propel the D series to new heights. If you look at the gears of a sohc vtec tranny, there are almost very very similar to that of an LS tranny we all know how LS trannies are booty. so think of it on an even underpowered car .
Old 02-26-2003, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got rid of my SOHC thinking it was a POS but i work with the guy who has it now in a 92 DX hatch...and all he has done to it is a ZEX cam and a 55 shot. and it runs fater then my B16 in the 8th mile....so im very impressed with output of the SOHC...it just took me seeing the light ...Also http://www.exospeed.com has a lot of cool stuff for a SOHC...they just released a nasty header....he wants to buy it but tey havent made enough...

[Modified by TurboB16aEG, 9:51 AM 2/26/2003]

[Modified by TurboB16aEG, 9:51 AM 2/26/2003]
Old 02-26-2003, 06:10 AM
LHC

but by using the si tranny dont you get better gearing???
BTW SOHC Ownzz b16a any day of the week...if you wanna swap go b18c up...
Old 02-26-2003, 06:35 AM

I have a boosted D and I love it, great gas milage and a quick little car!

Quick Reply: D series engines vs. B series engines--what are the advantages or disadvantages of both?