Notices

Rebuilt engine- boost or no?

Old 03-04-2002, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt engine- boost or no?

I just finished building a B20VTEC with forged pistons and rods, and a drag 3 kit, and some people are telling me to boost (but not going ape **** with it) and others are telling me not to until the prescribed 1000 mile break-in outlined by TOO. I am inclined to boost it ~7 psi max since everything is already installed on the car. What are your views? Additionally, should there be an exceptionally good reason why I shouldn't boost, is there a way to bypass boost without uninstalling the entire turbo kit?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2002, 07:47 PM
Banned

Default Re: Rebuilt engine- boost or no? (b18c1-ek)

start it up, hold it at 3000 rpm for 20 minutes

drive it around in the city n stop n go traffic with no boost for 300 miles.

its broken in.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rebuilt engine- boost or no? (immortal)

no boost.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rebuilt engine- boost or no? (dustin)

What are your reasons not to? Is there a way to bypass? I don't have the stock header and exhaust..

[Modified by b18c1-ek, 8:55 PM 3/4/2002]
Old 03-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Banned

just dont mash on the throttle
you're not always boosting .....only if you have the throttle open a lot.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Rebuilt engine- boost or no? (immortal)

drive like a sane human being and don't get too crazy with the boost..

getting on a freeway onramp.. just dont mash it too hard..

you want to give the rings and stuff to get used to the heat and settle in properly, get lubricated and set... if u go boosting, your gonna heat things up hotter than they want to be.. and they might not like it.. (bearings, seals, rings, pistons, etc..)
Old 03-04-2002, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rebuilt engine- boost or no? (GSRwBOOST)

i had the same dilemma when i got my car back about three weeks ago. this is what i was told with many, many conflicting advice.

i was told by the engine builder that there isn't a break in period for any engine if the clearances are concise. just the rpm at 2500-3000 for 20-25 minutes should be sufficient enough. others (engine builders, enthusiasts and the like) told me to take off the turbo system and break it in n/a. the reason behind it is, the rings wouldn't seat properly with boost during the break in period. i'm not sure if this is factual information or just theory.

so, when i got my car back i was about to go through the process of taking off the turbo system and slapping on the stock parts. but, i decided not to fiddle with it because i like to keep things the way they are if it is done correctly. and i only have the weekends to break in my engine so, going through that process would take up a lot of valuable time.

not to rant or anything but, here is what i did: i left the turbo system on and i'm going through the break in procedure as described by TOO as well. i took it easy with stop and go traffic for about 550 miles (pain in the motherfucken ***). so 550-820 (current miles) to my goal of 1500, i took the car on the freeway as well. but, i wouldn't let it sit at a constant rpm. i would take it to 70-75 on fifth and let it drop down to 60 and downshift to fourth. i would do this frequently and i would take every other exit to put in a little more city miles on it. and i made a list of the 15-20 mile intervals to "zing" it to the recommended rpm as a reminder but, it would vary for the mileage and not every 15-20 miles but i would leave a gap between the intervals.

last but not least, whenever i would zing the engine to the recommended rpm at the 200,400, 600, etc. mark, my turbo wouldn't even spool up. this is even at the 600-800 mile mark where the recommended zing is 7000+ rpm in first, second, third and partial fourth. there would be vacuum and at the most, it would reach 0 psi. weird, but, i would hear the BOV when switching gears but, no boost according to the boost gauge. it might be because my turbo is big and i'm not sure if it would work for you in your situation.

sorry for the long post but, i was/am in the same situation and i'm trying to help you out as much as i can.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:29 PM
New User

Default Re: Rebuilt engine- boost or no? (boostedeg6)

just slap the kit on and drive like a good little boy. then when you break the muthafucka in... STEP ON THE GAS LIKE THERES A BIG MOSQUITO WAITING TO BITE YOUR ***!
Old 03-04-2002, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are u zinging it in neutral or in gear? unless you're running a T-88, you should see at least some boost when revving up to 7k rpm. For the people who told me to leave the turbo on, they told me that since the engine was built for boost, it should see some boost during break-in (not excessively tho), like factory turbo engines such as the SR20DET, 3SGTE, 4G63 etc. And, I was told that a little boost should promote proper seating of the rings.... i guess we'll see what happens next week
Old 03-04-2002, 09:37 PM
New User

i had the same dilemma when i got my car back about three weeks ago. this is what i was told with many, many conflicting advice.

i was told by the engine builder that there isn't a break in period for any engine if the clearances are concise. just the rpm at 2500-3000 for 20-25 minutes should be sufficient enough. others (engine builders, enthusiasts and the like) told me to take off the turbo system and break it in n/a. the reason behind it is, the rings wouldn't seat properly with boost during the break in period. i'm not sure if this is factual information or just theory.

so, when i got my car back i was about to go through the process of taking off the turbo system and slapping on the stock parts. but, i decided not to fiddle with it because i like to keep things the way they are if it is done correctly. and i only have the weekends to break in my engine so, going through that process would take up a lot of valuable time.

not to rant or anything but, here is what i did: i left the turbo system on and i'm going through the break in procedure as described by TOO as well. i took it easy with stop and go traffic for about 550 miles (pain in the motherfucken ***). so 550-820 (current miles) to my goal of 1500, i took the car on the freeway as well. but, i wouldn't let it sit at a constant rpm. i would take it to 70-75 on fifth and let it drop down to 60 and downshift to fourth. i would do this frequently and i would take every other exit to put in a little more city miles on it. and i made a list of the 15-20 mile intervals to "zing" it to the recommended rpm as a reminder but, it would vary for the mileage and not every 15-20 miles but i would leave a gap between the intervals.

last but not least, whenever i would zing the engine to the recommended rpm at the 200,400, 600, etc. mark, my turbo wouldn't even spool up. this is even at the 600-800 mile mark where the recommended zing is 7000+ rpm in first, second, third and partial fourth. there would be vacuum and at the most, it would reach 0 psi. weird, but, i would hear the BOV when switching gears but, no boost according to the boost gauge. it might be because my turbo is big and i'm not sure if it would work for you in your situation.

sorry for the long post but, i was/am in the same situation and i'm trying to help you out as much as i can.
So have you had any problems? Are you done with the break in? Had any blow by? I am gonna be in the same boat in about a month..
Old 03-05-2002, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are u zinging it in neutral or in gear? unless you're running a T-88, you should see at least some boost when revving up to 7k rpm. For the people who told me to leave the turbo on, they told me that since the engine was built for boost, it should see some boost during break-in (not excessively tho), like factory turbo engines such as the SR20DET, 3SGTE, 4G63 etc. And, I was told that a little boost should promote proper seating of the rings.... i guess we'll see what happens next week
i'm zinging it in gear. no t-88 and no boost. surprised me as well

"since the engine was built for boost, it should see some boost during break-in (not excessively tho), like factory turbo engines such as the SR20DET, 3SGTE, 4G63 etc."

that was what i was told as well. it seems reasonable but, i believe there is some bias towards that because the shops want our business of course.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rebuilt engine- boost or no? (Damon501)

So have you had any problems? Are you done with the break in? Had any blow by? I am gonna be in the same boat in about a month..
at 820 miles, no problems at all. *knock on wood* i still have to meet up to my goal of 1500 miles and haven't even reached 1000 miles yet because of an unexpected delay (stripped wheel stud)

so, i will continue my journey next week with new studs and hopefully, i can dyno tune and run this mother then. i've waited too damn long.