Notices

Ramping up on my turbo project - need input

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ramping up on my turbo project - need input

Getting uberdata done, and then putting on the turbo kit.

I will put dual stage boost controller to lengthen my motor life. Planning to run 5psi on low boost (normal driving) and 8-9psi for high boost (maybe with switch or wired to WOT switch).

With this config, do I have to build up my motor? i.e. rod and pistons?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ramping up on my turbo project - need input (elpiar)

i've been running my motor at 12psi on stock internals for a while, its not how strong your motor is its how good its tuned.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ramping up on my turbo project - need input (elpiar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elpiar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Getting uberdata done, and then putting on the turbo kit.

I will put dual stage boost controller to lengthen my motor life. Planning to run 5psi on low boost (normal driving) and 8-9psi for high boost (maybe with switch or wired to WOT switch).

With this config, do I have to build up my motor? i.e. rod and pistons?</TD></TR></TABLE>

how will that "lengthen your motor life"? you'll either be tuned optimally for either 5psi or 8-9psi.. you can't be tuned for both (unless you have both chips tuned for it) but then that defeats the purpose of having the "ease" or raising boost via dual stage controller because you'll have to switch out the chips... midas well be using a single stage and mark it where it's 8-9psi and make maybe 5psi your wastegate spring (i hope this all makes sense)
Old 04-06-2005, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ramping up on my turbo project - need input (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SHystrdyGSRtdy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how will that "lengthen your motor life"? you'll either be tuned optimally for either 5psi or 8-9psi.. you can't be tuned for both (unless you have both chips tuned for it) but then that defeats the purpose of having the "ease" or raising boost via dual stage controller because you'll have to switch out the chips... midas well be using a single stage and mark it where it's 8-9psi and make maybe 5psi your wastegate spring (i hope this all makes sense)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I say lengthen the motor life, meaning that I can run 5 psi most of the time and switch to 8 when I feel like driving more aggresively. I agree that what really matters is tuning. But assuming two motors are tuned properly, the one running low boost will be under less stress, I presume.

Regarding the tuning, as far as I understand, tuning is mostly about A/F ratio and timing, right? So looking at my uberdata map, if I am tuned for 12:1 AFR across the board up to 8-9psi, that means I am tuned at 5psi, right? It's just that at 5psi the boost controller already tell the wastegate to relieve pressure. So I will tune to 10psi, and make sure my AFR and timing is ok from 0-10 psi.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ramping up on my turbo project - need input (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SHystrdyGSRtdy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how will that "lengthen your motor life"? you'll either be tuned optimally for either 5psi or 8-9psi.. you can't be tuned for both (unless you have both chips tuned for it) but then that defeats the purpose of having the "ease" or raising boost via dual stage controller because you'll have to switch out the chips... midas well be using a single stage and mark it where it's 8-9psi and make maybe 5psi your wastegate spring (i hope this all makes sense)</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can tune for both. Just tune at 5psi, and then tune the 8-9 psi column. SO when he switches he is still tuned. Takes like half an hour more. No need for switching chips, it isn't like going from pump gas to race gas.

Also if you are tuned for 9 psi, doesn't mean you are tuned for 5 psi. You have to tune both seperately. Because the ecu only reads down 1-2 columns at a time and at 9 psi you aren't reading the 5 psi column, so who knows what it is doing at 5 psi compared to 9 psi.