-mini-ram manifold
-650 precision injectors
-precision fmic
-greddy type rs bov
-turboXS stage one manual boost controller
-tial 38mm wastegate
-3" exhaust

Here are the questions:
1. Will the bov be the only vacuum line I need to run? Someone had mentioned to me that I should get a vacuum rail, but if that is the only line, I don't see why I would need one.

2. How do I determine A.) what spark plugs to buy and B.) what gap to put them at?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Questions regarding turbo setup - vacuum lines and spark plugs

You are gonna need vacuum lines for the boost controller, wastegate, bov, and if you have a boost gauge. You probably won't need a vacuum block however.

As for the sparkplugs, NGK's are good. You may be alright using the stock heat range, but you may need to go a step or two colder. Determining that and the gap can be found while tuning and seeing what works best. You could also ask your tuner what he would suggest.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A vacuum manifold would look a lot cleaner than all those "T" fittings everywhere.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Redline130
You are gonna need vacuum lines for the boost controller, wastegate, bov, and if you have a boost gauge. You probably won't need a vacuum block however.

As for the sparkplugs, NGK's are good. You may be alright using the stock heat range, but you may need to go a step or two colder. Determining that and the gap can be found while tuning and seeing what works best. You could also ask your tuner what he would suggest.
Oh wow, how will I know where to hook the vacuum up for all of those things? Does it matter where? and I will just use T fittings to tap into the lines?

I have NGK iridium's, I believe, right now. Would it be fine to just leave these on and maybe ask my tuner if I should change while he tunes my car?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by da_dude
A vacuum manifold would look a lot cleaner than all those "T" fittings everywhere.
Yeah, I'm sure. But the T fittings and lines can be hidden, right? I mean hiding T fittings sounds cleaner than having a visible vacuum manifold. Or do people typically just hide these as well?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Having a dedicated vacuum source for each piece is more efficient for each piece. The v-block is sourced from the brake booster. You can hide this as well.

The big question is what is your power goal? More than likely a 7 series NGK plug will be sufficient.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blaze the chemi
Having a dedicated vacuum source for each piece is more efficient for each piece. The v-block is sourced from the brake booster. You can hide this as well.

The big question is what is your power goal? More than likely a 7 series NGK plug will be sufficient.
So if I got a vacuum block, I would source it at the brake booster, and then everything else that needed a vacuum I would run it to the vacuum block?

My power goal is about 300hp maybe a little more....but really it is just about what my tuner determines is safe. I am not necessarily trying to ask what spark plugs I should use, but more of how do I determine what spark plugs are necessary.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, i bought a golden eagle vacuum manifold, and it comes with like 5 or so ports that anything that needs vacuum can be run to. and ive heard for every 100 hp go get 1 step cooler plug
Old 07-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alacard
So if I got a vacuum block, I would source it at the brake booster, and then everything else that needed a vacuum I would run it to the vacuum block?

My power goal is about 300hp maybe a little more....but really it is just about what my tuner determines is safe. I am not necessarily trying to ask what spark plugs I should use, but more of how do I determine what spark plugs are necessary.
That's right about the vacuum block. Keep your stock fuel pressure line, evap line, power steering line if you still have it. You install the block between the brake booster and intake manifold. Then you have a dedicated line for each other piece such as your BOV, WG, boost solenoid, etc.

People have had great success with the BK7RE plugs or what ever the plug number is. The 7 means it is one degree colder than stock, which is 6. These plugs will be good to around 500-600hp range. I believe I used BCP7RE plugs with 248whp.

Check this out
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/ngk-spark-plugs-everything-you-ever-wanted-know-more-510127/