Notices

Question about Wiseco and GE sleeved block

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Wiseco and GE sleeved block

I had a B18c1 sleeved by Golden Eagle last summer. I am just now getting around to assembling it. I had them bore and hone it for a set of Wisecos before shipping it back. So I started to do a final clean up on it to start assembly and I noticed that there was, in about a dozen places, some pretty large burrs left on the bottom edge of the sleeve. Most were big enough to be pulled off by hand and I ran a small piece of stone around the edge to get the smaller burrs off but it is still very sharp and a little jagged still.

I have only built about 10 Honda motors and only one other B series with Wisecos, but it was a while ago and with a different brand of sleeves. I have read that the skirt is longer than stock on them and I'm concerned that I should put a slight chamfer on the bottom edge to prevent the sharp edge of the sleeve from gouging the piston skirt if it does in fact drop below the edge at BDC. So if anyone knows for sure please let me know so I don't have to put all together to find out. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question about Wiseco and GE sleeved block (Bailhatch)

I would break that edge regardless.It's easy to find out if the piston is going to go past the edge of the sleeve.Just add the length of the piston to half of the stroke.Measure down from the top of the cylinder and that's where the bottom of the skirt will be at BDC.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about Wiseco and GE sleeved block (NJIN BUILDR)

Are you assuming the piston is flush with the deck?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the compression height isn't zero (not flush), then just subtract that from the sleeve length. Regardless, I'd try to camfer the edge anyways, as a sharp edge can lead to stress cracking.

You might want to PM the Golden Eagle guy if he doesn't pop in. He seems to be willing to deal with issues, and should be able to tell you what to do. I wouldn't say this is a terrible negative mark, as I've never seen any machine work [that wasn't production CNC] be 100% burr-free.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about Wiseco and GE sleeved block (HiProfile)

Oh ya, I'm not trying to blame anyone, just giving details as to what type of sleeves they are. I have never received a sleeved block that didnt have some problem with the machine work or damage or something. I'm used to it.

I'm sure someone just forgot a simple step at the end. Im going to try and make a tool to do this. what would a machine shop use?

Old 02-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

post pics.

i would just carefully chamfer the edges with a file.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I typically use a die grinder or a three cornered scrapper.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">post pics.

i would just carefully chamfer the edges with a file.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I suppose I could cut a round file down to a couple inches and hold it in a pair of vicegrips or weld it to a 3/8" rod or something.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NJIN BUILDR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I typically use a die grinder or a three cornered scrapper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wish I had one of those reverse cone shaped carbide bits...that would work nicely.

thanks for the input guys