Notices

Profec B Spec II woes...(please help me)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Profec B Spec II woes...(please help me)

I put this small Asian puzzle box on top of my steering column today, and now I can't sleep, nor get Valentines sex from my wife till I figure out what's going on. I'm not going through my set-up, unless somebody feels that it will help out, but here is my problem. I think my wastegate has like a 15, maybe 17 lb spring in it, because when we went out for some 4th gear pulls this evening with the unit turned off, I felt it quit pulling around 19 lbs.

I can't seem to find a happy medium on it, as I would like to hit 13 lbs steady like I did with my old manual controller. Now, either I hit 9 lbs rock steady, which really isn't an issue...or it cranks out to 20+ and thank God it's all forged inside, because it would have made for a long *** walk.

What I want to know is where is a good starting point? I understand about the start boost I think, that is where the wastegate will open, so if I want to boost 13 lbs, I should set it around 11-12 lbs right? The set, and gain adjustments seem to be more for fine adjustment, and to help the turbo spool a little quicker I think. I'm not afraid to pop a rod out the side of the block, as that would give me a reason to buy the Dart block I'm looking at, but man, can't someone point me in the right direction? I've got everything set to 0% now, with the start boost set at 11.5 lbs, and am going out to cane on it again tomorrow morning when traffic is light. I like to consider myself a pretty intelligent individual, but the Engrish directions, combined with so much misinformation that I have read in the last hour has really confused me. I'm going to get tuned next Saturday, so maybe if I can get a good steady 9 lbs or so, Bob and Jack can twist it up from there.

I never thought something so simple looking could be sofa king difficult
Old 02-14-2004, 06:42 PM

up
Old 02-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (mildly interesting)

where is your boost solinoid located at? they are pretty touchy, they should not be located somewhere that lots of heat is being generated at
Old 02-15-2004, 03:10 PM

I figured it out, thanks a ton though. I'm sure you weren't the only person to look, but you were the only one to hazard a guess. I'd just like to say that I am the smartest ************ on the planet because I figured out that broken-*** English in the Greddy manual, and got this piece of **** working. It is really sweet once you figure it all out, but until that point, and the lack of tech support on this so-called tech related website, I was ready to give it to the first person to ask for it. When you go from a MBC to an EBC, there are a lot more things to do than people lead you to believe...
Old 02-15-2004, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Profec B Spec II woes...(please help me) (mildly interesting)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mildly interesting &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I think my wastegate has like a 15, maybe 17 lb spring in it, because when we went out for some 4th gear pulls this evening with the unit turned off, I felt it quit pulling around 19 lbs.

I can't seem to find a happy medium on it, as I would like to hit 13 lbs steady like I did with my old manual controller. Now, either I hit 9 lbs rock steady, which really isn't an issue...or it cranks out to 20+ and thank God it's all forged inside, because it would have made for a long *** walk.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You cannot boost lower than your wastegate spring with the profec.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Profec B Spec II woes...(please help me) (Dr Pooface)

indeed Doc, where were you at last night? it took a little Miller Lite, and some deciphering what everyone had to say about the Profec from like a year ago till now, but I figured it out. I had some vacuum lines connected wrong, and I was trying to run an EBC off the side port on the wastegate, which would explain the nasty 22 lb spike i got. On the positive side, I now know my car will take 22 lbs and keep right on digging...and for the record I have all the definitive answers about the Profec now...and I'm not sharing with anyone either...bwhahahahaha
Old 02-17-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so are you gonna let the secret out, or are you gonna take it to the grave with you? lol i just installed this as well and im not too sure on how to get it to not spike. if im at partial throttle, the set desired boost would be ok, and accurate, but once i full throttle it, the thing spikes and i **** in my pants.... haha. what are your settings? i have a .5 bar spring in my 35mm tial, and i wanna boost like 8-9 lbs on low boost. once i figure out how to set low boost, ill go ahead and set the high boost. what gain numbers should i be messing with? thanks ahead of time.... greddy needs a new writer for their damn instruction/tech dept

krazy
Old 02-17-2004, 07:38 AM

ok man, use the set (%) to get boost where you like..set the gain around 15-20%, then use set gain (3rd setting) at about 2 lbs lighter than what you want to boost to...you'll have to fine tune a bit, moving set gain and gain (2 different settings) up or down a few points...keep in mind set gain is read in lbs, not in % like set is...I know it sounds confusing, but I stared at it for like 3 days, and it finally came to me...
Old 02-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Posted originally by VaporTrail.

"What is it: Electronic boost controller
How much: expect to pay around 330
Where: various retail outlets around Tampa. Mine was purchased through Racing Zone.

Not happy with the SR20's stock boost of .55 bar, I looked for a simple boost controller. For my car, I don't want a cluttered car. The controller needed to be small, simple to use, and include a boost gauge, as I didn't want one to clutter my A pillar and draw anymore unneeded attention to the car. I didn't have many choices mainly based on the size requirement, preferably a 1/4 DIN unit. Based on my previous experiences with the original GReddy Profec B, my search started and ended with the Spec II.

Housed in an attractive silver case (black is also available), the front features two push buttons on the left, on the right is a dial ****. The unit is back lit with blue LCD display centered between the set of buttons and the dial. It displays all the vital functions of the unit, as well as boost pressure, selectable between kpa or psi. New to the Profec is a stepper motor. This is mounted underhood, as close to the turbo as possible. This new addition allows the profec to more accurately control boost, as well as greatly improve spool. Another new function is start boost, which the profec holds the gate shut until a user set pressure is achieved. Also useful is the boost warning and limiter functions. If boost exceeds a certain pressure, a warning buzzer and a red screen alerts you to the condition, and if you program it to do so, the duty cycle of the solenoid will reduce the boost automatically. This can be a real handy feature for when changing conditions are affecting your boost. The unit can be programmed for two boost levels, or it can be turned off to run normal wastegate pressure. Optional is a remote switcher, which can be mounted on the steering wheel, allowing you to switch between boost settings without removing your hand from the wheel.

We installed it in my 95 240sx where the ashtray use to reside. Installing the unit was a snap, however the instructions were rather confusing for such a simple controller - something was lost in the translation (more on that later). The most time consuming portion was running the wires and vaccum lines in through the firewall. We mounted the boost solenoid as close to the turbo as possible, as you want the vaccum lines as short as possible to improve response, but keep it from extreme heat or possible water soaked areas. The unit came with everything needed for installation, except for one vaccum T which we had on hand, and we also opted to use some of our own clamping instead of what was supplied. Total time was about 30 mins for install.

It will take you some time to learn to use this controller if you've never used one with a stepper motor before. On top of that, GReddy's engrish directions are many times flat out wrong, sending you scratching your head and looking for what you did wrong. It's easy, pitch the directions. Turn the dial on the right to adjust boost duty cycle. This is done in %, 0 (stock boost) to 100% (maximum wastegate). What eased the process was remembering that it was a percentage of the wastegate setting, so 10% of 10psi wastegate spring (for example) would be 11psi. We set the two presets for .850 and 1.00 kpa and went driving. I found setting the 'start boost' to .2 below desired boost gave it the best response without spiking. I set the boost limiter to 1.10 kpa and the limit function to drop out 4% of boost duty should I exceed it.

The unit works exactly as advertised, it's seamless, and once you learn how it works, very easy to use. It doesn't have as many features as, say, the Apex AVCR, or the GReddy E-01, but that's kind of the point. It's designed to be a simple boost controller, with few frills and great value for the money. This is my new favorite boost controller, and one I would recommend for nearly any application."
Old 02-17-2004, 09:18 AM

hey i feel ya man. when i posted my post on the profec b it was hard to get answers. but some people did help me out and i finally fiddled with it enough to where i got semi-confident with it. yes you are right about the settings. i found that the start boost works the best on my setup 2psi lower than the psi i want to boost.i've rasied my gain higher though because it would continue to increase at higher rpms. i've got it to pull 7 psi steadily on my stock block. i'm glad to hear you've got it under control. we should start our own profec b help line, because this thing isn't as easy as it is made out to be.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: (GaDawgs)

Old 02-17-2004, 10:04 AM

so what are you boosting on your hi and lo settings? what the set %, gain , and start boost at for lo? for hi?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Re: (GaDawgs)

low: 22% set 21% gain 115 set gain = 13 lbs

high 36% set 24% gain 135 set gain = 17 lbs

thats on a 9 lb spring in the wastegate, but hopefully after tuning this weekend, and after I get my new crank trigger in, I'll be at 15 lbs low and like 21 lbs high...
Old 02-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mildly interesting)

Check out Gadawgs post on the profec b spec II there is some decent info on there.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:15 PM

yeah that post helped me out alot so did lucky smurf. i'm at 7% boost, gain is 45% and set gain is 50. and that equals 7psi. on a 4psi spring. i had to turn the gain way up to keep the boost even. otherwise at 20% gain the boost was going up with the rpms. when vtec would kick in it would go to like 9 psi but with the higher gain it will stay at 7 psi now.