Notices

prelude on boost fuel cut?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prelude on boost fuel cut?

i posted this thread yesterday but it disappeared, otherwise sorry for double post just wanna get some opinions.

Last weekend i installed my turbo kit in my 5th gen prelude. Took it around the block to make sure everything was working. I wasnt even planning to get on it since i was still waiting for my ecu to come in from phearable.net, but at more than 50% throttle or past 4k rpms the engine wouldnt go anymore. I dunno if you call this fuel cut or bogging or what not. Have gotten mixed answers on that. I wasnt planning on hitting boost at all but i thought it would still at least be possible to hit boost even though i wasnt intending to.

This was on stock injectors. Figured car isnt getting enough fuel cuz of 240cc injectors. So while waiting for ecu to come in i installed dsm 440cc injectors. Of course the car idles and runs like **** (rich). But heres my dilemma. Ive been told that the stock basemap cant deal with boost and the ecu will go into limp mode once it sees boost. Hence the bogging. But why is this also happening at say 2k rpms and 50%+ throttle when theres no boost regardless of throttle input. (or does boost exist at these rpms? this is my first turbo car)

I wasnt really worried about this since i figured the stock basemap wouldnt like boost. The ecu i bought from phearable.net will have a basemap that is meant for boost so the car should run fine with it while i save up for hondata + tune. So is this fuel cut expected or is there something im overlooking such as a mechanical problem?

Thanks, Johnny.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: prelude on boost fuel cut? (ragethemachine86)

if the stock map lets the ecu see any, i mean any boost, it goes into limp mode. at 50% throttle at 2k you may be spooling just enough.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 PM

You need some "check valves" or a MAP bypass valve. I had the same problem and this fixed it. Hope it helps!
Old 07-13-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: (TurboBB6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboBB6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need some "check valves" or a MAP bypass valve. I had the same problem and this fixed it. Hope it helps!</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you mean by check valves? i already have the MAP bypass valve ("missing link" right?) installed.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: (ragethemachine86)

there is a chance it is in up sidedown. it only goes one way.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Re: (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is a chance it is in up sidedown. it only goes one way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean it only works one way or only goes in one way? Regardless ill mess around with it when i get home.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Mr. Badwrench

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ragethemachine86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You mean it only works one way or only goes in one way? Regardless ill mess around with it when i get home.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is a one way check valve. if it is on upside down, it will not let the map see vacuum, and will open under boost.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it is a one way check valve. if it is on upside down, it will not let the map see vacuum, and will open under boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand what u mean. would this fix my bogging issue when going into boost? i dont wanna try it out by driving the car since its running to rich but i am wondering if this is the cause of the car bogging when i test drove it.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Mr. Badwrench

well here is the thing too, if it is upside down, the valve wont let vacuum in, thus making the ecu think it is w.o.t. all the time. before you drive it, take it off, blow through it, one side you will be able to the other you wont. the side you can blow through goes to the map, the other goes to the throttlebody.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:43 PM

omg turns out that the other day when my friend was taking it off he lost whatever is inside of it. the spring/valve whatever it is. ill just wait for the ecu
Old 07-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ragethemachine86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omg turns out that the other day when my friend was taking it off he lost whatever is inside of it. the spring/valve whatever it is. ill just wait for the ecu</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats why I don't let my friends help me with anything lol, they always seem to forget to mention things like that.