Notices

Post-turbo issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post-turbo issues

I turbo'd my 96 integra a few years ago and I have been battling problems every since. I've posted some of them before to no avail, but I cant seem to figure this out on my own so I'm back to see if anyone has an answer.

Lets start with the smoking.

After I get on boost my car puffs a cloud of smoke. So embarrassing. From what I've read it seems that this is cause primarily by 2 things. blown seals, and a bad PCV setup. Since the turbo has less then 1000 miles on it, I want to start with my PCV system.

What Ive done is install a slashcut evac system in my exhaust pipe. That goes to a catch can, which goes to the valve cover. Heres a pic...

I dont know if its worth mentioning, but the catch can has never caught any oil.. I look every so often and its bone dry.

Hopefully there is something here thats wrong and its not rings/seats/turbo seal.

Thanks for taking a look!
Old 08-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Post-turbo issues

ball bearing turbo or journal bearing turbo? how is the return line from turbo?
Old 08-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man im not sure. I think its a super 60. I know its a turbonetics and its from goautowerks.

Dont know what you mean by the other question
Old 08-19-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The slash-cut exhaust method never was that great. Time to go back to something more basic. Super 60s are journal bearing, and don't require much of a restrictor..
Old 08-19-2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by xesvuli420
Im blowing smoke because my evac system isnt that great?!?
That is correct. this method is not a very good one for this system, and if anything creates more issues than it solves. Going back to a standard PCV system is the best course of action. The BEST solution is the use of a one-way check valve system from a proper catch can. don't use the exhaust system at all.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you provide information on this? I would love to solve this issue!
Old 08-19-2016, 07:56 PM

I just did. GO BACK TO A STANDARD PCV System for now. not like the way you have tee'd off. then see if there is something wrong with the turbo.

General information:

Oil Catch Cans | Everything you need to know and more!

Or. Use a catch can system with a one way check valve.. I have an example here. (Bottom of page 1, top of page 2)

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...sense-3270656/

Old 08-20-2016, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mines just the valve cover to the oil catch that has a air filter on it works good
Old 08-20-2016, 12:48 PM

What have you read so far? You're asking a vague question.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anything google has to offer... Hell thats how i found out about this system to begin with.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone got any pictures? seems the more you read the more people doing it differently. TBH I dont really know what I need to be doing. I just know that when I turbo'd I came across an artical that suggested this was the best way. If its causing the smoke then I don't want to continue using it. So how exactly should I set this catch can up? Plese be as specific as possible.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

***UPDATE***

Ok so I hooked up my catch can like this guys I seen the other day. He had 2 lines coming from the VC going to the catch can. So I unhooked the line going to the exhaust, and replaced it with the second line from the VC (doing away with the T in the picture in my original post)

Kinda like this minus the breather

Holy **** at the smoke! Seriously like a train!!! On and Off boost it was barrelling out. It looked like my back end was on fire.

I came back home, hooked the CC up like I had it before and 90% of the smoke went away... just a lite puff here and there.

Anyone make sense of this?

Maybe its worth mentioning that the VC is the only thing I have going to the CC. I see some people use holes in the back of the block as well.. Should I be doing this too?

Also another problem I was gonna mention is I cant seem to get the oil pan to seal. Could I be getting too much pressure in the bottom forcing the oil to leak? It seems to leak only after a hard test drive.

I wish I knew boat loads more, but this is my first time, and I did everything myself. these forums were my only resources and it appears I may have missed a few things.

Last edited by xesvuli420; 08-20-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:35 PM

anyone got any pictures? seems the more you read the more people doing it differently. TBH I dont really know what I need to be doing. I just know that when I turbo'd I came across an artical that suggested this was the best way. If its causing the smoke then I don't want to continue using it. So how exactly should I set this catch can up? Plese be as specific as possible.
I sent you everything in those links in my last post. (those are underlined.) that's why I was asking what you've read. You haven't seen the links with the photos attached.

If people are going to send information, please have the decency to read it, and not ignore the links sent to you. They are specific, have photos, and provide info that you don't have to ask to be repeated.. thanks.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He's telling you the answers to the test and your telling him to write them down for you as well?
Old 08-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did exactly what you suggested and got extremely worse results..
Then you did it wrong, and didn't read the entire resource(s) and implement them correctly moron. Get the **** out with your "I'm the victim and not being helped enough" rhetoric, I can almost guarantee that nobody is going to care about your problems after you thought it would be a good idea to get uppity with the person graciously giving you all the answers, a mod nonetheless.

Keep it up pal, and you won't be welcomed by any here again.