Notices

Would this catch can setup making any sense?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Would this catch can setup making any sense?

I was thinking about going with the traditional setup but I've heard your rings are better off without an open atmosphere setup so I was thinking of tapping into the exhaust somewhere right after the downpipe.

I could use either one of these boxes, tap the front of the valve covers and then use the bottom outlet to route the gasses and crap into the exhaust. So 2 top inlets from the valve cover and 1 bottom outlet to the exhaust. Thoughts?

Old 02-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Would this catch can setup making any sense?

Drain your catch can into your exhaust?? That would get a little smokey to say the leaast. When using the exhaust slash cut thats just to provide some sort of suction similar to a vaccum line. In that scenario the slash cut would go to one of the top ports not the drainback

If you do use a drain back it goes back into the block not the exhaust sytem
Old 02-16-2016, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone try this for a crankcase evac set up? - Page 2 - LS1TECH

Who is using exhaust to pull crankcase vacuum? - Page 2 - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300z...xperiment.html

http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...y-good-results

I would love to hear any advice or opinions. I'm way out in left field for me.

I found this for a check valve, no idea if it would work or not. http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?P...15C=1821276057 There are a lot of one way check valves. I assume any would work? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-11191

Last edited by Stopsign32v; 02-16-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea looks like a good Idea however I never tried this. It seems most people here run only a vented system without using a vacuum at all, which is great for drag cars but on a street car it would be beneficial to have some sort of vacuum assist like you are looking at.

I found an old thread where tonythetiger suggested using a vacuum assist via intake manifold using a supra PCV valve which is what I am going to try, let me know if your interested I can get you more info on this
Old 02-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift

I found an old thread where tonythetiger suggested using a vacuum assist via intake manifold using a supra PCV valve which is what I am going to try, let me know if your interested I can get you more info on this
Absolutely, post it up
Old 02-16-2016, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wait your using a LS arnet you?

cant seem to find the thread at the moment. Anyway in case other people are interested or have feed back it involves using the stock black box (only found on vtec blocks). which is basically a baffled catch can with a drainback, and using
Purolator PCVValve- part# PV1009 I got mine off ebay for $3.50

I mean you could do the same thing you would just need to get a catch can and hook it up to vaccum with the pcv valve.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
For a street car, use the valve cover for vent so that you can keep the factory black box in the back of the block. I kept my black oil separator box in the back of the block along with a Toyota PCV valve (it stays 100% shut under boost) so that the PCV system still works when the car is cruising or under vacuum. Under boost, the valve cover vents do all the venting.
Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
The slash tube setup from ENDYN was meant to direct all PCV pressure flow out from their catchcan setup which consists of venting from the two block plugs in the back and a drainback. The slashtube puts pressure into the valvecover instead, providing fresh air/directing the pressure through the catchcan instead, therefore, keeping your engine from combusting those oily fumes. By no means you would use s slash tube if you aren't using a catchcan setup in the back of the block.

For most valve cover vent setups, you can vent these lines in the atmosphere, or to keep it legal, you can have a catch can (sealed) inline of the vent lines and then feed it back into the turbo inlet/intake tube. This is beneficial too because it creates a minor vacuum if you plumb the vent lines back into the turbo intake, but most racers don't like oily fumes getting past their turbo, FMIC, and into the engine.

https://honda-tech.com/forced-induct...ation-2458025/

Hopefully he will see this and give his updated opinion this was awhile back, he definitely knows alot more about this then I would
Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can think a plus to the exhaust scavenger setup. I think even in boost it would show vacuum.

More informative links.

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...up-horsepower/

Last edited by Stopsign32v; 02-17-2016 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you like the smell of burning off oil vapor constantly go for it. Unless you have issues with crankcase pressure, I dont see why you'd consider it.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:34 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I would agree with this. No way I'd use this system.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
If you like the smell of burning off oil vapor constantly go for it. Unless you have issues with crankcase pressure, I dont see why you'd consider it.
Ive found the vented valve covers under the hood make a stronger fume smell. How would you smell burnt oil vapors in a closed loop system?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I would agree with this. No way I'd use this system.
Why? The links have plenty of benefits of it.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think actually that is an old-school approach...on mine I ran it that way for a while, then went back to just running a filter on the valve cover because even after checking a couple times, hardly any oil was actually making it to the can, so it seemed kinda pointless.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:25 AM

Then by all means, please have your experience with it. I've had those setup on some other cars I've had around and it was awful. And I don't do the vented valve cover setups either (they aren't necessary from my experience). I keep a pretty simple drain back system using a S80 Volvo boost check valve to stop all the vapors and mess at startup. I can't even take credit for the idea, it was my friend and engine builder who perfected it with a B&R Catch can system.

The whole catch can thing can really start getting people sensitive, because there are one or two WRONG ways to do it, and about 5 ways of doing it in a way people live with and actually work.. This example is one of those, "Great on paper, but not as applied" versions of catch cans.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Then by all means, please have your experience with it. I've had those setup on some other cars I've had around and it was awful. And I don't do the vented valve cover setups either (they aren't necessary from my experience). I keep a pretty simple drain back system using a S80 Volvo boost check valve to stop all the vapors and mess at startup. I can't even take credit for the idea, it was my friend and engine builder who perfected it with a B&R Catch can system.

The whole catch can thing can really start getting people sensitive, because there are one or two WRONG ways to do it, and about 5 ways of doing it in a way people live with and actually work.. This example is one of those, "Great on paper, but not as applied" versions of catch cans.
Nice! Id like to hear more about your setup. I like the non vented idea.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Ive found the vented valve covers under the hood make a stronger fume smell. How would you smell burnt oil vapors in a closed loop system?
Doesn't bother me lol. And its really not bad, especially if you keep the cabin recirc on.

Its not closed loop going into the exhaust. The oil vapor would burn and every time you roll to a light you'd get a nice whiff. I have a buddy who went that route and now just has a vacuum pump in place of the AC compressor instead. But still overkill for 15 psi and 400whp.

I dont like the idea of that fuel-oil-condensation mix in a drain back, especially with E85. I mean whatever works for you. I don't mind draining the can when I have too.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Doesn't bother me lol. And its really not bad, especially if you keep the cabin recirc on.

Its not closed loop going into the exhaust. The oil vapor would burn and every time you roll to a light you'd get a nice whiff. I have a buddy who went that route and now just has a vacuum pump in place of the AC compressor instead. But still overkill for 15 psi and 400whp.

I dont like the idea of that fuel-oil-condensation mix in a drain back, especially with E85. I mean whatever works for you. I don't mind draining the can when I have too.
So on a street car any type of vacuum is not necessary? Just vent VC?
Old 02-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Of course it's not necessary. Read the links, it explains why vacuum is a better option over venting. Really the only thing that is necessary to a motor is lubrication and not too lean of air/fuel mixture.

Vegetables aren't necessary to live but it sure can help you.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah. As long as the venting is sufficient for the boost pressure you are running, it will be fine. Its just one more thing to go above and beyond whats necessary. I wouldnt compare them to veggies lol. All the people and kids I know that lack them in their diet aint doin so hot.

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Of course it's not necessary. Read the links, it explains why vacuum is a better option over venting. Really the only thing that is necessary to a motor is lubrication and not too lean of air/fuel mixture.

Vegetables aren't necessary to live but it sure can help you.
I briefly read that article at work. Seems like all the things they were talking about (big blocks and stuff) are strictly race cars. I dont know if they'd be recommending burning off oil vapor for a street car.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah. As long as the venting is sufficient for the boost pressure you are running, it will be fine. Its just one more thing to go above and beyond whats necessary.
Ok thanks, Boost pressure is yet to be in place but Im thinking 14-20 PSI. I was more worried about retaining the stock PCV system while not in boost, sitting in traffic ETC.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:18 PM

Yeah, see I don't use E85. I can use that system with C16, meth/water and standard 93octane.

Never have had any contamination in my pan.. Even had it analyzed.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you please give us details and possibly pictures of this setup with the B&R catch can and the S80 Volvo boost check valve? I'm always open to new ideas and don't think it's healthy to breathe in these catch can fumes all the time.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:16 PM

Yeah. lemme see what I have here.

I'll come back to edit later in the day.

Canister attached to the firewall.

Below is the PCV "black box" canister adapter fitting that is used as the drain back.

Here is the second one off of the main canister fitting.

This is the S80 Check valve running from the Valve cover fitting routing to the intake manifold

Last edited by TheShodan; 02-22-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. lemme see what I have here.

I'll come back to edit later in the day.
Interesting, thank you. So, you have 3 breather hoses in the back of the block? Which one is your drain back? Also, where does the valve cover hose go?
Old 02-22-2016, 06:20 PM

No. (I've edited the post). The 1st is the drain-back, the other two are the crankcase breathers themselves.

Notice the color orientation of the S80 check valve. It's a one-way valve. It routes down and through the runners, just like the original PCV valve.

Quick Reply: Would this catch can setup making any sense?