Notices

Cold start and turbo seals.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start and turbo seals.

My buddys car smokes on cold start ups. Weird thing is though it does not smoke as soon as you start it up. It takes a few minutes for it to start smoking. After the first few minutes the car begins to smoke heavily until its reaches operating temps then it clears up, but still smokes from time to time. We can only notice it when the car is siting still. When you give it gas or boost it we cant see any smoke at all.

I dont know that much about cars but here is what I think about this problem. If it was the valve seals then it would smoke as soon as you start it up and not after a few minutes. It it were the rings I would think it would smoke all the time and especially when u boost it. Im thinking its the turbo seals and at start up the oil is seeping past the seals then once the car gets hot enough it smokes. After it reaches operating temps the heat seals the turbo seals back up thus causing it to not smoke as much.

Like I said I dont know that much about cars this is just what I came up with. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
-Leonard
Old 12-24-2003, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Cold start and turbo seals. (Boosted99Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It takes a few minutes for it to start smoking. After the first few minutes the car begins to smoke heavily until its reaches operating temps then it clears up, but still smokes from time to time.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats exactly what my car does, word for word. Time for a turbo rebuild.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cold start and turbo seals. (KC GSR)

well i guess its better to rebuild the turbo than the motor.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Cold start and turbo seals. (Boosted99Si)

before you start rebuilding stuff try to figure out where the smoke is coming from (engine,turbo?). Is it coming from the engine? check the manifold for oil residue, check the compressor housing and charge pipes to see if it's getting back into the engine that way. pull the turbo off and look for any visible cracks or oil trails, etc. It would suck to spend $300 rebuilding a turbo to find out it's a valve guide or something.....
btw both mine and my buddy's cars smoke randomly (no rhyme or reason). Both turbo's are practicly new (mine has about 3k miles his has about 5k)....both engine's compression and leak down tests are good...I've just accepted the fact that it's not a stock car so it's not going to run like a stock car. It's always going to have it's quirks.