Plans to run GReddy kit. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans to run GReddy kit. Any suggestions?

Hey all. Sometime in the near future I plan on boosting my 96 LS with 106k miles. The engine is stock with good compression (190, 185, 180, 190).

I've looked at different turbos and turbo kits all day long, but I think I'm going to go with GReddy, based on it's reliability, and since I don't want to make wild amounts of power... It seems like a good choice.

My goal is to make 220 whp at around 7 psi, stock internals. Some say I can do it, some say I can't. Whatever. If I make anywhere around 200 whp on 7psi without blowing the car up, ill be happy.

I was planning on buying the City-Speed kit for $2144.99. While this seems like a good price, ill probably end up paying another grand on the intercooler, BOV, Turbo timer and boost controller. Not to mention I'll probably spend some more getting the kit installed (since I don't think this is something I want to try myself) and to get it tuned.

Also, I'd like to mess around with Uberdata. I've heard good things about it - but don't I need an OBD1 ECU, while the GReddy requires a 96-99? I'm a little confused about this.

I'm trying to do this without blowing as much money as possible. Should I choose a different kit? Any suggestions?

Thanks H-T
Old 05-14-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Plans to run GReddy kit. Any suggestions? (Pawwalski)

Bumpedy Bump
Old 05-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GReddy kits are reliable to a certain extent...

If your only boostin 7psi, leave the EManage unit in it that already have good decent base maps in it

If you want use Uberdata, then you will need a conversion harness to run OBDI guessing P75 ecu......

The GReddy requires 96-99 because they programed the Emanage unit to OBDII specifications
Old 05-14-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Plans to run GReddy kit. Any suggestions? (PRojectSi2)

That's what I thought.

Would I still need to get it tuned? What's involved in the EManage tuning process? Is this something I'd be able to do myself with a laptop? I'm real new to the whole tuning process.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:13 AM

Also, what do you mean by 'Certain Extent'?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Greddy kit does not come with E-manage. It comes with the Blue Box. The blue box is not tuneable. To use the blue box you are required have a 96-99 OBDII ecu.
E-manage is tuneable while the blue box is not.

If you use uberdata you'll need OBDI ecu. The 96-99 it only if you use the blue box.

The blue box makes you run very rich. I would reccomend getting uberdata, hondata or AEM.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Plans to run GReddy kit. Any suggestions? (MachAF)

the new greddy kits are being packaged w/ the E-manage... dammit, greddy should offer a trade in, b/c i have that stupid blue box!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Plans to run GReddy kit. Any suggestions? (VinceVTEC)

I think the one on City-Speed comes with the E-Manage and not the blue box.

What should I do about an intercooler? I'm not paying 800 dollars for a GReddy IC kit. Could I piece one together myself?
Old 05-18-2004, 07:34 AM

Anyone?
Old 05-18-2004, 07:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You can find intercoolers for much cheaper than that especially since you hp goals are so low. Check the FI classifieds, you will be able to find just about anything you want in there including the items you listed intercooler, BOV, and boost controller.

I would also cosider getting a couple of friends together anb trying to install the kit yourself. Greddy kit installs are pretty straight forward, a good learning experience, and it will save you money that you can spend on something else.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Plans to run GReddy kit. Any suggestions? (Dengar)

Yeah, after hearing that "if you can install a cold air intake, an aftermarket header and exhaust, you can install a GReddy kit", I've decided to try it myself... Hopefully I won't **** it up lol *Knock on wood*

What do I need to get for piping for an intercooler?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For one, I can tell you that the blue box on the ls motor does not make it run EXTREMELY RICH, ....I would say it makes the car very safe..My a/f ratios were in the 11.5 range on 8 psi...However when I cranked the boost up a little to 10 psi, the a/f leaned out a little, but was still safe....Everyone says the blue box is horrible, but honestly it makes the cars driveabiltity 10x better than any other cheap fuel management set-up...(ie: afc hack/fmu/etc..)...I have come a long way with the greddy kit, and I can tell you from first hand expierence that u will love the kit, especially for what you are trying to accomplish..Good luck, and feel free to ask me any other questions u may have..
Old 05-18-2004, 09:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

A greddy kit will come with piping. I know that the one for the SOHC civic comes with 2 inch piping. If you install an intercooler you are going to have to cut the provided piping or just buy some piping and bends from a place like jc witney.

You are also going to need someone to weld the little flange on the charge piping for your BOV.

Good luck with the install and keep us posted.. If you run into any problems the FI forum should be able to solve them..

This is a really good write up of a greddy installation on a civic.. It should be very similar.

http://www.turbocivic.net/
Old 05-18-2004, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Plans to run GReddy kit. Any suggestions? (Dengar)

johnnyracecar.com, good cheap intercoolers like someone said the greddy comes with piping you can modify and u might want to buy a couple of pieces of other piping form somwhere just to make sure u can get it to fit, shouldnt be to hard, good luck
Old 05-18-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Plans to run GReddy kit. Any suggestions? (blackcivic95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackcivic95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">johnnyracecar.com, good cheap intercoolers like someone said the greddy comes with piping you can modify and u might want to buy a couple of pieces of other piping form somwhere just to make sure u can get it to fit, shouldnt be to hard, good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

johnnyricecar intercoolers If you want a cheap small intercooler, get one from a Saab Viggen or something, if you want to do it properly get the smallest precision IC.

More importantly, why 7psi? My roommate boosts 10-12psi on a stock LS, and has been for over a year with no problems at all. It's alllll in the tuning. You could blow up at 5psi, and be fine at 14psi, by only changing the tuning.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Plans to run GReddy kit. Any suggestions? (SleepyEG)

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'll probably end up buying an intercooler off ebay... depending if I can find a good deal on a used one in good condition... I was just concerned about the fitment.

As for the 7 psi... That's just the level of boost that I'd like to start with. On team-integra they say that's about the max amount of boost to run on stock internals... However, on here I hear of people boosting 12-13 psi on stock internals. I've decided that if I wanted to boost &gt;8 psi that I would build my engine first. The car has a lot of miles on it and I don't really want to push it.

Would you reccomend keeping the E-Manage or switching to OBD-1 and use uberdata? How easy is tuning with E-Manage? Can I plug it into my laptop?

I can't wait to get the kit and let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pawwalski &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'll probably end up buying an intercooler off ebay... depending if I can find a good deal on a used one in good condition... I was just concerned about the fitment.

As for the 7 psi... That's just the level of boost that I'd like to start with. On team-integra they say that's about the max amount of boost to run on stock internals... However, on here I hear of people boosting 12-13 psi on stock internals. I've decided that if I wanted to boost &gt;8 psi that I would build my engine first. The car has a lot of miles on it and I don't really want to push it.

Would you reccomend keeping the E-Manage or switching to OBD-1 and use uberdata? How easy is tuning with E-Manage? Can I plug it into my laptop?

I can't wait to get the kit and let everyone know how it turns out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Where in NH are you? It sounds like you're getting a lot of bad information from team-integra. I'm going to talk to Jake(BlackKnight7) when he gets home from work and see if he'll drive you around if you're near him. Stock 91 RS b18a, running 10psi for over a year, high mileage, no problems! Again, the amount of boost is not what you want to focus on, but as a general rule, you can run 10-11 psi (until you max out your stock MAP sensor) on a B18a, b, or c without issue, it's all in the tuning. I would highly recommend using uberdata as well.