Notices

Picked up a Turbo and Intercooler from a junkyard. Got some questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a Turbo and Intercooler from a junkyard. Got some questions?

First off this is the first turbo set up I have tried. So i'm out wandering my local junkyard looking for civic dash vent, along with any factory turbo cars. Towards the end of my journey I spot are red Mit. Conquest TSI. I wander over and spot the intercooler and turbo still all there. I didn't have to much interest in the turbo b/c it looked pretty small, but I thought i could used the IC. So I head back to the office, and on my way I spot a 1g(I think) eclipse. As I get closer I notice the turbo badging and the side mount, i pop the hood to find the turbo still there, only thing missing was the BOV. So anyways I pull off the inlet piping and try to wiggle the shaft to see if it has any play, nope doesn't feel like it. So I come back today pull the turbo off(PITA) and look it over. I'm a noob at turbos, but now for the questions.

I believe the turbo is a 14b, td205(??? i think)

1.From what I can tell there is no shaft play, but i'm not sure if im even checking it right. How to tell?\

2. Also I can spin the turbo with my finger, but when I spin it should it keep spinning really freely?

3. Should I be able to move the rod that goes from the wastegate to the exhaust housing with ease?

4. If everything seems ok, what should I use to clean it with? Carb cleaner??

5. Is the conquest intercooler any good? this is my first setup so im not going for huge #s, just some thing fairly cheap and quick.

6. is a 14b in good shape and a conquest intercooler worth 100 bucks??

Thank i'm trying to get the hang of this turbo thing. I cant wait till im boosted
Old 09-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Picked up a Turbo and Intercooler from a junkyard. Got some questions? (slow hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off this is the first turbo set up I have tried. So i'm out wandering my local junkyard looking for civic dash vent, along with any factory turbo cars. Towards the end of my journey I spot are red Mit. Conquest TSI. I wander over and spot the intercooler and turbo still all there. I didn't have to much interest in the turbo b/c it looked pretty small, but I thought i could used the IC. So I head back to the office, and on my way I spot a 1g(I think) eclipse. As I get closer I notice the turbo badging and the side mount, i pop the hood to find the turbo still there, only thing missing was the BOV. So anyways I pull off the inlet piping and try to wiggle the shaft to see if it has any play, nope doesn't feel like it. So I come back today pull the turbo off(PITA) and look it over. I'm a noob at turbos, but now for the questions.

If it's off a manual first gen then yes, it's a 14b. Conquest IC's are alright for below 300hp but more than that and your better looking elsewhere.
A 14b in good, working condition go for $100-125.

1.From what I can tell there is no shaft play, but i'm not sure if im even checking it right. How to tell?\

2. Also I can spin the turbo with my finger, but when I spin it should it keep spinning really freely?

3. Should I be able to move the rod that goes from the wastegate to the exhaust housing with ease?

5. Is the conquest intercooler any good? this is my first setup so im not going for huge #s, just some thing fairly cheap and quick.

Thank i'm trying to get the hang of this turbo thing. I cant wait till im boosted </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Picked up a Turbo and Intercooler from a junkyard. Got some questions? (rkeith)

wow you just quoted everything I just typed thanks
Old 09-30-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Picked up a Turbo and Intercooler from a junkyard. Got some questions? (slow hatch)

1- I think thats right
2- Just try to wiggle it side to side and in/ out
3- It moves one way, but its kind of hard to push it
4- brake cleaner or degreaser works, or this stuff called "awesome" at dollar stores
5- Dont know, but if its bigger than the Esclipe IC its fine
6- Yep
Old 09-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Picked up a Turbo and Intercooler from a junkyard. Got some questions? (TurboCoop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboCoop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1- I think thats right
2- Just try to wiggle it side to side and in/ out
3- It moves one way, but its kind of hard to push it
4- brake cleaner or degreaser works, or this stuff called "awesome" at dollar stores
5- Dont know, but if its bigger than the Esclipe IC its fine
6- Yep</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, i was just hoping I didn't waste 100 bucks.

also, what is a good low price manifold? log type preferably so I can try to keep my stock radiator
Old 09-30-2005, 01:53 PM

look an ebay for a used drag cast mani. or something similar, I dont know if the SSAC manifold lets you keep AC, but it sucks anyway so you probably shouldnt even get it.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Picked up a Turbo and Intercooler from a junkyard. Got some questions? (TurboCoop)

yeha, I was going to buy a DIY kit since I got a mig welder. So i may still do that
Old 09-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the conquest's IC isnt as good as everyone says it is, a better one is one outa a probe/MX6. The conquest has good end tank design but the internal flow is not good at all. I also have a probe IC for sale in GREAT condition if interested.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92CHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92CHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the conquest's IC isnt as good as everyone says it is, a better one is one outa a probe/MX6. The conquest has good end tank design but the internal flow is not good at all. I also have a probe IC for sale in GREAT condition if interested.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think i stick with the intercooler i got for now, thanks though I'm going for a pretty basic setup
Old 09-30-2005, 08:50 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off this is the first turbo set up I have tried. So i'm out wandering my local junkyard looking for civic dash vent, along with any factory turbo cars. Towards the end of my journey I spot are red Mit. Conquest TSI. I wander over and spot the intercooler and turbo still all there. I didn't have to much interest in the turbo b/c it looked pretty small, but I thought i could used the IC. So I head back to the office, and on my way I spot a 1g(I think) eclipse. As I get closer I notice the turbo badging and the side mount, i pop the hood to find the turbo still there, only thing missing was the BOV. So anyways I pull off the inlet piping and try to wiggle the shaft to see if it has any play, nope doesn't feel like it. So I come back today pull the turbo off(PITA) and look it over. I'm a noob at turbos, but now for the questions.

Thank i'm trying to get the hang of this turbo thing. I cant wait till im boosted </TD></TR></TABLE>

1. just wiggle it from side to side and in and out. make sure its not hitting the walls when you spin it and push on it.
2. not necessarily.
3. its tough to move it.
4. brake cleaner or degreaser.
5. they are ok for homemade turbo setups. better than a eclipse smic.
6. yea thats a good deal.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Picked up a Turbo and Intercooler from a junkyard. Got some questions? (mike93eh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. just wiggle it from side to side and in and out. make sure its not hitting the walls when you spin it and push on it.
2. not necessarily.
3. its tough to move it.
4. brake cleaner or degreaser.
5. they are ok for homemade turbo setups. better than a eclipse smic.
6. yea thats a good deal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sweet thanks again
Old 10-01-2005, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow you just quoted everything I just typed thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

CRAP! I typed a response, I promise. Where'd it go? Oh well.