Notices

PCV valve questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 10:11 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV valve questions

Just wondering...I have a Greddy catch can I was going to install. I took out my PCV valve and noticed it was quite saturated with oil. I don't remember it being that way before the turbo install.

Is there a potential problem there? In any case, I was wondering what function the PCV system has when you go into boost. I understand how it normally functions when the manifold is normally in vacuum so it sucks blow by vapors out from the crankcase. But what's going on when you are boosting and push positive pressure in there? The valve should close, right??

Is the fact that I have quite a bit of oil in my PCV a sign that I really should install the catch can?

And, once and for all, should I then put a breather filter on the valve cover rather than have it connected to the air filter or does it matter?
Old 11-20-2001, 05:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: PCV valve questions (GruvyTune)

When under boost the valve should close.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:54 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: PCV valve questions (GruvyTune)

uh yeah, under boost the valve will be closed, but the bad news is the crankcase will still be under a positive pressure so the oil vapor will start to come out the valve-cover hose. So, what most people do is either route a longer hose down to the ground so the vapor doesn't contaminate the engine compartment or they put a filter on it that will catch most of the oil.

if youa re going with the catch can system then you can have the best system out there.

To answer your main question, no the oil isn't really "bad" it jest means that the oil accumulator on the back of the engine (black box) is propably clogged or saturated with old oil. Pop that baby off and clean it up and the PCV will be less oily. When I say pop it off, it actually is a real pain in the a$$ to get to so reserve alot of cussing time to do the job.

Put the catch can in series with the PCV valve and you will have much less oil going to the intake runner causing detonation on that cylinder. Or, plug the PCV hole, connect both the valve cover and the PCV hose to the catch can and vent the catch can to atmosphere through a filter. That will remove all oil from the intake but is the worst combination for the tree-huggers. That is a wet race configuration, not for street use.

later.
R
Old 11-20-2001, 08:38 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: PCV valve questions (RGAZ)

changing the PCV vavle is pie.. I know alot of people who change it every oil change just to keep it clean and in good condition..
Old 11-20-2001, 12:58 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PCV valve questions (RGAZ)

R,

How difficult is it to take off the oil separator tank? I have a skunk2 manifold so I can get to the PCV without too many problems. Does it just pop off or does it unbolt. I looked in the Helm manual but I'm not sure how hard it will be.

T