Notices

PCV valve and oil catch can b serioes motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV valve and oil catch can b serioes motor

i boosted my b16 and for right now i temporarily have a beather filter on my valve cover. that is going to come off and i'm going to install catch can. i've searched and couldnt find much. i have to remove my PCV valve correct me if i'm wrong. i believe the bcv valve on my b16a2 motor is under my fuel rail between second and third injector. i di just take that pcv valve completely out?

1. what would i replece the pcv valve with?
2. how should i run my catch can lines? one from valve cover to catch can with breather on it and another one from crank case with breather on it aswell?

i need soem info on my catch can install to best help me out, just got motor back was running on 7lbs on stock internals, now i have eagelrods and CP pistons 9:1cr and want to handle about 10lbs of boost, so i really need some catch can input to make it function properly
Old 09-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Default Re: PCV valve and oil catch can b serioes motor (mitchell_2kSiR)

well i see where you may be confused. i was in the same position as you were. well basically what I did was take out the pcv valve, plug up the port on the intake manifold, and just ran a hose from the black box (behind the block) directly to the catch can. then i ran another line from the crankcase itself to the catch can. the port on the valve cover, i just ran a hose down to the ground or you could run it to the can. the can has a breather on top. this is call open ventilation system. the pcv valve is just a check valve which doesnt allow any pressure to back into the crankcase from the intake manifold. on boosted cars the intake manifold is pressurized and pressure could go back into the crankcase if the pcv valve is messed up. so if you get rid of the pcv valve and run a line from the black box (you will see a line connecting to the black box and the bottom of the pcv valve) to the catch can, then plug up the port on the intake manifold, this will keep pressure from going back into the crankcase which will save your internals.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PCV valve and oil catch can b serioes motor (lurkin' eg)

okay, so my oil catch can i have right now is just a normal catch can with two fittings and a drain tube, i was thiking of taking a hose and connecting it to my valve cover and running it down and connecting it up to my firewall with a breather on the end using a conduit clamp, and taking the hose from my crank case and runnign it to one of the ports on my catch can and then on the other port of my catch can place another breather filter. . and leave the pcv valve??? i have no idea what to do

i wish to run 10lbs of boost, whats a safe thing to do with my motor vents?

the catch can i have looks 99% similar to this one
http://www.pdm-racing.com/prod...e.jpg
Old 09-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to read this thread...
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1970101