Notices

opinion about setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion about setup

hey i just wanted to get a few peoples opinions on my setup getting ready to run in a few weeks things are starting to come in the mail and my short block is done now too. here is the setup.

jdm gsr block sleeved 84mm by ERL. gsr crank.manley h-beam rods with arp 3/8 rod bolts.Cp 84mm 9.0-1 comp pistons. stock gsr girdle. brand new honda main bolts from dealer. golden eagle oil squirter block offs. golden eagle 84mm headgasket. arp headstuds.gsr head completely refurbished at my local and trusted machine shop with supertech valves,springs,and dual retainers with skunk2 stage 1 tuner series camshafts with skunk2 adjustable cam gears. stock vtec distributor lol. Edelbrock polished victor x manifold. throttle body yet to be determined. arizona forced induction turbo system with garrett gt3076r .82 exhaust side. ramhorn equal length mani. all brand new tial 38mm gate and 50mm b.o.v. 3inch downpipe to 3 inch test pipe to thermal r and d 3inch exhaust. precision 880cc injectors golden eagle fuel rail and regulator with walbro 255hp pump. stock size oem honda fuel lines. 450hp afi intercooler. hondata intake manifold gasket. greddy timing belt. fluidamper harmonic balancer. moroso oil pan. gsr tranny itr lsd.

Anyway like i said id like people opinion on my setup power goal is at a average 400whp and hopefully 330+ tq. if anyone has any imput or anything feel free to comment etc etc. as the bottom end goes and stuff i put my trust in erl and my machinist to assemble everything according to oem spec and the paper work that comes with the pistons/rods. always on the look out for reasons that a bearing might spin which is most of the reason behind the aftermarket harmonic balancer.... any input would be appreciated
Old 05-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: opinion about setup

with that setup, you're going to easily surpass that 400whp goal with a good tune. Sounds like you've invested in quality parts, don't shortcut when it comes to your EMS/tuning. Hondata/Crome/AEM are all reputable. Crome will be the cheapest, and AEM/MOTec are on the higher end of the scale.

Risk of bearing spin will be minimal if torque specs and clearances are all in check. Did you have the entire rotating mass (crank, pistons, rods, flywheel, clutch/pressure plate) all balanced?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a nice setup, im curious to see how those cams will react with that 30r. should be a healthy setup. That .82 hotside should compliment the cams i would imagine. but if clearences and everythign are in spec and you have a good tuner then your good to go.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's something Ive been wondering for a while about getting everything balanced to do with rotating assembly and clutch etc. when I actually took the stuff to the machine shop I told him that i wanted him to do whatever it needed to make it reliable for my power goals and that id pay whatever he wanted to make it that way. Probably should have specifically asked him about that but it slipped my mind. of course it should not spin a bearing or have engine failure just because of that. i could see the balancing playing a role in longevity of the engine. kinda why i went with a brand new Fluidamper as well. i could be wrong about that it could have a huge effect on the engine but hopefully it works out fine.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

That's a different type of balance for vibration. what your willing to pay for in all of the "machine work" does nothing for your durability and reliability if the engine isn't assembled properly. Many times have we seen and experienced a lot of setups that were balanced and machined to perfection only to be ruined in minutes when an incompetent builder got into the mix. Hondas, due to their attitude towards over-engineering their designs, are one of those platforms in which MANY times, even for higher hp applications, Stock hardware works just fine. Investigate further before this investment and see if it is really needed; not just because it costs more to use it.