Notices

okay, where is all the boost going?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default okay, where is all the boost going?

Okay, I'm having a realy problem here. My turbo spools, my blow off valve releases, but I'm not seeing any boost on my boost gauge! I know my boost gauge is working cuz I've seen 1-4 psi in the past. Now, I hear it spool but my boost gauge stays at zero. I've bypassed the intercooler and run it straight from the compressor to the throttle body but still, not boost!

Can anyone suggest where else the boost may be leaking from? Something about the throttle body itself or intake manifold?

I disconnected the hose that is used for the cold start if that helps anyone but still, I'm pretty sure this has no affect cuz I plugged it back into the charge piping and still, no boost. Any help would be awsome!!!
Old 08-25-2002, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: okay, where is all the boost going? (ludelvr)

you may not actually be boosting. The BOV will blow off, even on an N/A car, because there will be more pressure in the pipe than in the intake manifold, when the throttle is closed. you can also spool up the turbo withouth creating boost. I think you may have an exhaust leak, though you should check all the piping again, as well.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:37 PM

Default Re: okay, where is all the boost going? (ion_four)

so, r u saying that it's possible to spool up the turbo and make no boost? Cuz what happens is that while i'm flooring it, I can hear the turbo spool, it spools pretty quickly too, but there's no boost. I just don't understand how I can spool the compressor but not create boost.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:40 PM

to create boost the turbo has to move more air than the motor can injest. The car isn't on stands or anything is it. what turbo, what motor?
Old 08-25-2002, 05:44 PM

Default Re: okay, where is all the boost going? (jdblack1)

It's an H22a and the turbo is a T3 with a .60 ar on the compressor side. The car is not on jackstands. It is running on the street and I just can't get it to produce boost. I"m gonna do some more testing but any other suggestions would be great!! Thanks again guys!
Old 08-25-2002, 05:50 PM

where are you getting the supply for the gauge? Hook it in with the BOV and wastegate. Do you have an airfilter?
Old 08-25-2002, 10:40 PM

Default Re: okay, where is all the boost going? (jdblack1)

okay, problem solved!!! I disconnected the tubing and bypassed the intercooler, so it went straight from the compressor to the throttle body. I did this before and I wasn't able to get boost, but it's weird, cuz I did the exact same thing and boom, I hit 6 psi in the parking lot!!! **** was I ever scared!! But now I know it's the tubing that I'm using from the compressor to the intercooler. Need to change it out, but in the mean time, I'm loving this whole boost thing! 1st gear lasted such a short time! **** man, I was scared! But thanks again for all the suggestions guys!! I really appreciate it!!