Notices

Ok to run without BOV for about 1 week?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 01:37 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok to run without BOV for about 1 week?

Ok, so I made a dumb decision. I asked my welder to re-use the upper pipe from my AEM CAI for my charge pipes (from the smic up to the throttle body)

He just called and said my car's ready (yahoo), but he was unable to weld in the HKS BOV flange to the AEM portion since it's aluminum. --doh

Well, I need to drive this car next week (approx 100 miles total) and if possible, I'd like to have some fun with the turbo.

Question:
Would it be ok to drive without the BOV for this (short) period of time?
This is a greddy kit on a ZC in a 90 CRX.

I plan on replacing the AEM piping with some mandrel bend from JC Whitney in about 1-2 weeks.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 01:48 PM
r7

Default Re: Ok to run without BOV for about 1 week? (TAG)

get an aluminum flange.. or don't boost. =P
Old 09-03-2003, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Ok to run without BOV for about 1 week? (r7)

low boost isn't going to hurt it. running with no BOV puts a higher load on the thrust bearings and of course the compressor and shaft, but at low boost settings (<10 psi generally) you will not have a problem, especially with short term like you have mentioned.

One thing to note, is if your charge piping setup is not solid, you will probably blow charge pipes inbetween shifts, unless you are full throttle shifting, because once the throttle plate closes the pressure will increase in the pipes and can potentially blow connections.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:57 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok to run without BOV for about 1 week? (lazerus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazerus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">low boost isn't going to hurt it. running with no BOV puts a higher load on the thrust bearings and of course the compressor and shaft, but at low boost settings (&lt;10 psi generally) you will not have a problem, especially with short term like you have mentioned.

One thing to note, is if your charge piping setup is not solid, you will probably blow charge pipes inbetween shifts, unless you are full throttle shifting, because once the throttle plate closes the pressure will increase in the pipes and can potentially blow connections.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the excellent info Lazerus...
Yep, I'm only going to run it at 6psi, and maybe a couple of runs at 8-9psi just to see what it feels like.

Ah, thx for the warning on blowing the connections. It's mostly welded, but I'm using silicone connections at the intercooler.

I just want to get this thing boosted for the CRXPO meet (Sept 13), then I plan on re-doing my setup with a FMIC, shorter/constant diameter piping and of course the darn BOV!

Thanks guys
Old 09-03-2003, 01:58 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok to run without BOV for about 1 week? (r7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by r7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get an aluminum flange.. or don't boost. =P</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is there such a thing as an aluminum flange for the HKS BOVS??
If so, then I'll just order one up.

Thanks (I'm off to hksusa.com to search, but if you can reply to the positive/negative, that will save me time - thanks)
Old 09-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FWIW I've gone thousands of miles on boosted Honda's with no BOV. No problems to report.
Mark
Old 09-03-2003, 02:01 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok to run without BOV for about 1 week? (01ITR#700)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 01ITR#700 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FWIW I've gone thousands of miles on boosted Honda's with no BOV. No problems to report.
Mark</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, thanks for the useful data!
What setup and psi were you boosting?
Old 09-03-2003, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whi-chi-chi-chi---chii
the sound of a turbo slamming to a halt from thousands of rpms
is painful to listen to

Try not to slam the throttle closed and you should be ok temporarily.
You can definatly damage your turbo if your boosting upwards of 10psi,
but like everyone said lower psi will be fine.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TAG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ah, thanks for the useful data!
What setup and psi were you boosting?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Several different setups:
Civic HX 12-14psi
Civic EX 7-8psi
Civie EX 7psi
Civic EX 8psi

All with no BOV's and zero problems. Maybe I was lucky, but we never had any issues at all.
HTH
Mark
Old 09-03-2003, 02:11 PM
New User

Default Re: Ok to run without BOV for about 1 week? (01ITR#700)

i ran my car all last year with no blow off valve. t4 62-1 @ about 27 lbs of boost. no problems. having no blow off valve puts alittle added stress on the turbo, but thats it. you shorten the life of the turbo without one. running no blow off valve for a few weeks is not a problem.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:54 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok to run without BOV for about 1 week? (jinxproof99)

Thanks for the posts guys. Sure made my day much better (after all the delays with this turbo project)
Old 09-03-2003, 02:58 PM

you don't Need a blow off valve.. I don't know why everyone things you do.. You will be fine without it.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:41 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok to run without BOV for about 1 week? (Overblown-Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Overblown-Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you don't Need a blow off valve.. I don't know why everyone things you do.. You will be fine without it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heheh. Yeah!
.... and I figure...it's SAFE to boost 20 psi on stock internals...(wink wink)
Old 09-03-2003, 03:47 PM

I know lots of guys running high boost with stock T3 turbos and they have no problems with not running a BOV. You will be fine. A garrett turbo is tough.. The mitsu ones are a little more lite boned and there fore more fragile.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:54 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok to run without BOV for about 1 week? (Overblown-Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Overblown-Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know lots of guys running high boost with stock T3 turbos and they have no problems with not running a BOV. You will be fine. A garrett turbo is tough.. The mitsu ones are a little more lite boned and there fore more fragile. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh shoot, haha..I originally thought you were kidding!

Really? Then I feel a whole lot more relieved about driving around boosting for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks...I can't wait to swap my injectors tomorrow night and go boosting.

Anyone know which way to turn the little wastegate nut on the Greddy kit to MINIMIZE boost? (TD04H 92-95 SOHC VTEC kit) Thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 03:55 PM

if i was u. i woudl keep the piping and buy a aluminum flange.. if they dont make one any machine shop should be able to mill one up no prob.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CustomCockpits)

is it possible fer him to jus get JB weld and put it on?
Old 09-03-2003, 04:43 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CustomCockpits)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CustomCockpits &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i was u. i woudl keep the piping and buy a aluminum flange.. if they dont make one any machine shop should be able to mill one up no prob.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, one of the other reasons I plan on switching out this particular section of pipe (from SMIC to TB) is the diameter is 2.5" (IIRC) and not 2" like the rest of the Greddy charge pipes. I'm thinking the jump in diameter may cause some lag?
So I was thinking, after CRXPO I plan to re-do the piping using 2" steel, and maybe move my battery to the rear as well.

Anyone run 2" piping to IC, then 2.5" to TB?

Thx
Old 09-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TAG)

The sohc greddy turbo kit doesn't include a BOV. If it did enough damage, a big company like greddy wouldn't do it.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:00 PM
Banned

Try to run a metal pipe before the AEM and weld to that, thats what my friend did.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TAG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh shoot, haha..I originally thought you were kidding!

Really? Then I feel a whole lot more relieved about driving around boosting for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks...I can't wait to swap my injectors tomorrow night and go boosting.

Anyone know which way to turn the little wastegate nut on the Greddy kit to MINIMIZE boost? (TD04H 92-95 SOHC VTEC kit) Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whatever way makes the rod longer. I'm not too sure, but I'm going to take a guess at left!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:30 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brryder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brryder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The sohc greddy turbo kit doesn't include a BOV. If it did enough damage, a big company like greddy wouldn't do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Geez, I must be tired. You're 100% right, I didn't even think of that.

Well, good news...my local shop has an aluminum hks flange, so I'll be able to get the bov installed early next week.

Also, I just drove my crx back from the fab/welder guy. Man, the SMIC sits LOW (as does the charge piping). Guess it's time to order up the FMIC!

Thx for the help/advice guys...appreciate it
Old 09-04-2003, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (brryder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brryder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The sohc greddy turbo kit doesn't include a BOV. If it did enough damage, a big company like greddy wouldn't do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The main reason greddy doesnt include a bov, is to keep it street legal. That and price.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:16 AM

Default Re: (rioninja)

i run my ic piping from 2" to 2.5"aem upper ic pipe....i just welded on the bov to the stainless steel pipe beofre it goes into the aem....if i knew how to post a picture i would show you.....its in a 90 crx...

Trav