Notices

Oil restrictors: Fittings or Flange style? Multiple turbos destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil restrictors: Fittings or Flange style? Multiple turbos destroyed

I have a honda accord f22b turbo. I'm on my 4th turbo. The 1st 2 turbochargers failed from oil starvation, the 3rd turbo failed from oil starvation and a bent turbine shaft and the 4th failed from a blown oil seal after I stopped using the restrictor that came with each turbo I was using when I put the 4th turbo in. THEY WERE NOT CHEAP TURBOS. One was a godspeed turbo. 2 of them was a cx racing ceramic ball bearing turbo and the last one was a cx racing journal bearing hybrid turbo. I'm sick of going through turbos and I know it because of oil pressure diffrences at idle and wot . Anyone know what is a good fix and a decent place to get a decent turbo that can handle the oil pressure changes?!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:50 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: Oil restrictors: Fittings or Flange style? Multiple turbos destroyed

If godspeed and CX Racing are "not cheap turbos" to you, I have bad news for you. Those are cheap, shitty Chinachargers. Literally any properly installed Garrett, Comp, STC, or Holset unit won't have that problem.

And this is a prime example of why we tell people to buy once, and buy right.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Oil restrictors: Fittings or Flange style? Multiple turbos destroyed

Hello,

As NotARaCist said, CX and godspeed are super duper chinese stuff. BTW, I think your problem is in the oil discharge line of the turbocharger. Take in mind the oil NEEDS to drain, an obstruction in your discharge line may destroy turbo seals, no matter if godspeed or Garrett.

Can you share a picture of the oil lines?
Old 11-17-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Sounds to me like improper oil feed/restrictor. Not the drain.... But either way, Masterl1nk is correct. CLOSE UP photos of the oil feed lines and the restrictors that you're using will help with the diagnosis. High Probability that those are the culprit.
Here's a Godspeed one.. No wonder it failed..

The CX Racing is no better

He would be even more upset if he had used a Garrett. It more than likely would have reached the same demise. None of these companies would survive these fittings.

Originally Posted by arcticdriftup
The 1st 2 turbochargers failed from oil starvation,
As you can see, it is because of not only the size opening of the restrictor, but where it is located, especially when oil pressure is lowest during warm idle. Oil basically only "trickled" into the oil passages of the turbocharger causing the starvation.

the 3rd turbo failed from oil starvation and a bent turbine shaft
Same cause as above, but in this case the turbo was still being used while being driven and not removed. The starvation caused an overheating condition and the turbine shaft material was compromised. It would have had to be replaced even with a Garrett.

and the 4th failed from a blown oil seal after I stopped using the restrictor that came with each turbo I was using when I put the 4th turbo in.
This is because now that you stopped using the wrong restrictor, you went with no restrictor, in which now, you've over-pressurized the oil system. If the return line is also incorrect, now IT will rear its ugly head of bad routing, and cause its own issues, including having pressurized oil push past the oil sealing ring.

So, your system messed up on 3 fronts... 1)Bad turbocharger choice, 2) Bad supplemental equipment choice, 3) possibly Bad oil routing. You can feel a little relieved as you're not completely to blame; you were only using what was provided for you, and since they were from the same companies, you thought both CX Racing and Godspeed knew what they were doing and had your best interest in mind; Unfortunately, you found the hard way, that is not the case.

It is almost as though these companies have implemented what I call an "Iacocca" sales strategy of planned obsolescence with these "kits". The company intentionally designs and creates a manufactured part, so that it will prematurely fail and give the incentive that it is more economical to purchase another crap piece of equipment then to repair a good one.

You need a new turbo, and new equipment. Hopefully before XMAS holiday I'll create a video regarding the differences in oil restrictors/feed types.

Last edited by TheShodan; 11-17-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the restrictor that you have pictured but I had Napa build me a feed line. Is it a problem that I put the return line into the top side of the oil pan instead of drilling into the block? What is a good recommendation for a restrictor?
Old 11-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For ball bearing turbos I use 0.8mm restrictors, for journal bearing, 1.6-2mm. For discharge lines I'm using at least, 10mm hoses, and taking care of correct installation.

See: This isn't the proper way:

And this is the proper way

Old 11-17-2015, 11:25 AM

I used the restrictor that you have pictured but I had Napa build me a feed line. Is it a problem that I put the return line into the top side of the oil pan instead of drilling into the block? What is a good recommendation for a restrictor?
You have to get another turbocharger first before going into the restrictor argument. The company and size oil feed line will determine what restrictor to get IF it is indeed needed.

Napa can build a feed line, but knowing if its -4AN or -3AN and what female fitting they used will be important to know.

Come back to us when you've gotten another turbocharger. Then we can help with supplemental equipment.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I see why Garret never center their feed flange, its so people is forced to use a fitting instead of a flange for the feed.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by rudebwoy
Now I see why Garret never center their feed flange, its so people is forced to use a fitting instead of a flange for the feed.