Notices

oil restrictor- yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil restrictor- yes or no?

ok, i have searched and read a bunch of threads about this, and people seem split pretty evenly on whether an oil restrictor should be run or not. i have a older turbonetics t3/t4 turbo (that's been recently rebuilt) on a 99 gsr. this will be my dd, with 20-30k put on a year. it doesn't have one right now, but i haven't driven it very much since the install, because i'm waiting for tuning. why or why not should i run a restrictor?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

usually people only use an oil restritor when to much oil is being fed like my car use to smoke when i got on the car because to much oil was being fed so i put a restritor on and the smoking went away so after you tune it drive around and get on it and let it sit and idle and if it smokes then i would throw one on
Old 01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snaileg)

it doesn't seem to be smoking now, but i don't want the seals to wear out quickly and start smoking. i'm running mobil 1 synthetic, 5w-30. the oil pressure at idle with the engine fully warmed is about 20 psi. at cruising in 5th gear around 3-4k rpm the pressure's around 50 psi.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would just throw a oil restritor on then... i picked up a -3 for $5 bucks a while back
Old 01-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snaileg)

i'm not worried about the cost of the restrictor. i don't want to push too much oil through the turbo and blow out the seals, and at the same time i don't want too little oil and fry the turbo. i want people with some technical knowledge about this to chime in and tell me whether they're a good idea or not.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicdxtyper)

Unless the turbo doesnt have one built in then yes use one.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (20yrsToMidnight)

yes use one. A fitting with a small (1/32", ~1mm) hole works best imo. The turbo doesn't need near the oil pressure that the engine sees.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Re: oil restrictor- yes or no? (civicdxtyper)

You should install an inline oil pressure gauge to determine whether a restrictor is necessary or not. The bearing housing should see around 50-60 psi max (according to Corky Bell).
Old 01-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the oil pressure at idle with the engine fully warmed is about 20 psi. at cruising in 5th gear around 3-4k rpm the pressure's around 50 psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Apparently you already know what your oil pressure is. I've been reading up on these restrictors lately too, and most of the figures I've heard are 60-65 psi max. I'm way over that while cruising at 3500 rpm on the interstate. I've driven over 200 interstate miles on a used turbo I just installed, and sure enough, I have a substantial amount of oil in my IC piping. I'm not expecting a restrictor to save my turbo now, but when I get a new one (or rebuild this one), I'll definately be running a restrictor.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpeedwaySlick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedwaySlick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Apparently you already know what your oil pressure is. I've been reading up on these restrictors lately too, and most of the figures I've heard are 60-65 psi max. I'm way over that while cruising at 3500 rpm on the interstate. I've driven over 200 interstate miles on a used turbo I just installed, and sure enough, I have a substantial amount of oil in my IC piping. I'm not expecting a restrictor to save my turbo now, but when I get a new one (or rebuild this one), I'll definately be running a restrictor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn, why is your pressure so high? i haven't redlined my car with the turbo yet so i have no idea what the pressure will be at higher rpm. what's your source for the 60-65 psi?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

60-65 is not high, its normal... alot of us see 80+
Old 01-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you use -3AN line, you dont need a restrictor, -4AN you do.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (20yrsToMidnight)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 20yrsToMidnight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">60-65 is not high, its normal... alot of us see 80+</TD></TR></TABLE>

SpeedwaySlick mentioned that 60-65 psi is the max pressure the turbo should see. i'm wondering what his source is for info.

i haven't revved up my car yet but i will today, so i can see what the pressure's at.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's why i like turbonetic's turbo built in restrictor and a nice warrenty, and I've never had a problem with!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

damn, why is your pressure so high? i haven't redlined my car with the turbo yet so i have no idea what the pressure will be at higher rpm. what's your source for the 60-65 psi?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My oil pressure is probably so high because I either have a healthy oil pump or a faulty gauge. Research it yourself, but I believe I read that turbos really only need 10-20 psi under boost, enough to stay lubed. Most of what I read about oil restrictors was in threads about SSAC turbos. The combination of high oil pressure and a cheap turbo is not good. To put things into perspective, I went to earl's (right down the street from the indianapolis motorspeedway) to try to find an oil restrictor. The guy kind of chuckled at the term, as if it is almost unheard of in racing. On the other hand, most of the teams around here have virtually unlimited budgets, and they're probably only trying to get 2-3 races out of a turbo, not 15K miles. Also, I've always heard good things about turbonetics, and if they are putting built-in restrictors on their stuff, then it's probably not a bad idea. If you're only running 50 psi max, and you have a good quality turbo, you'd probably be alright for quite a while. I doubt a restrictor would shorten the life of the turbo though.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive used a cheapy ssac turbo for 7 months now but fitted an oil restrictor and use a -3an feed line, no problems so far. i made the restrictor by tappin the brass fitting to the turbo on the inside and putting bolt down the middle and drilling a 1/16" hole. i can then remove the restrictor from the fitting if i need to. ive seen my buddies integra R see 85 + psi and i dont think my cheap o' turbo would like that. honda's run alot more oil pressure than most.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpeedwaySlick)

so where can i get a restrictor? it sounds like a good idea to have one. i have a pretty small oil feed line, but i'm not too sure exactly what size it is.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flangemastermike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flangemastermike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i made the restrictor by tappin the brass fitting to the turbo on the inside and putting bolt down the middle and drilling a 1/16" hole. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly what the guy at earl's suggested doing.

I just ordered one on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

The swivel design is supposed to make it easy to install.

He also sells other useful misc. stuff (like vacuum manifolds and wg blockoff plates), and gives a pretty good deal on combined shipping.