Notices

LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 05:16 PM
I want a CRX tattoed on my butt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help

Ive got a oil burning problem, aparently due to some shitily placed oil control rings

My motor only burns oil and smokes when fairly cold, at idle and when compression breaking and when oil psi is above 25psi

I would like to make it so that my oil gets up to operating temp faster (im running no thermo so I doubt that helps) and so that my oil pressure would stay down thus keeping oil from slipping passed the ring possibly

It only smokes at idle for some reason, pisses me off and its embarrassing. Hope this can hold me off if it works until winter.

Thanks guys
Old 07-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help (PINKS)

Is this on a built motor? What kind of bore/pistons are you using? it's common for forged aluminum to expand once they are warm, so burning oil is normal on cold start up.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help (PINKS)

10-30 is about as heavy as you want to be. Bigger numbers are hard on oil pumps and bearings.
If you try synthetic oil, it may not smoke as much at start up.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it smoke at idle when the engine is warm. you running a PCV valve??
Old 07-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help (lohatch)

The dudes got about a million threads going on his problems.. Everywhere i look, and i dont think hes done a leakdown test yet..

I belive is a D16a6 stock rebuild.. No PCV setup.

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=2
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1679526
Old 07-05-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Re: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help (HamiltonRex)

bobistheoilguy.com
Old 07-05-2006, 09:41 PM

Im not looking for 2 psi, just a lower idle pressure
Old 07-06-2006, 04:51 PM

Old 07-06-2006, 06:30 PM

It only smokes when coming to a stop and when the pressure goes OVER 40PSI

I can definetely remedy this I beleieve, definetely need to put the thermonback in to heat the oil up quicker, maybe some very thin oil and osme addidtives

I dont know what the problem is though
Old 07-07-2006, 02:42 AM

bump
Old 07-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PINKS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It only smokes when coming to a stop and when the pressure goes OVER 40PSI

I can definetely remedy this I beleieve, definetely need to put the thermonback in to heat the oil up quicker, maybe some very thin oil and osme addidtives

I dont know what the problem is though</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly
you dont know what the problem is
so stop thinking the oil will solve it

if u experiment with the oil weight, or add aditives to alter its properties, your going to cook your bearings and blow some **** up in no time
leave the oil alone, you want good pressure and lubrication

if it smokes, deal with it, its only under certain conditions like you said, i rather burn a little oil , before messing with my engine's lubrication

oil is the engines BLOOD....leave it alone
Old 07-07-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Re: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help (USDM 4G VTEC)

It only smokes at idle, and @ 45+psi, obviously Im going to do anything I can short of starving my motor of oil to get it under that area until I can install the built motor in the winter
Old 07-07-2006, 12:43 PM

Old 07-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take off your oil pump.

dude do a leakdown like everyone's saying in your other thread and figure out what's REALLY wrong.

wait, scratch that, just make another thread about the same problem. that'll fix it.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help (notoriousB)

i bet its either his valve seals or rings that are leaking

get it leakdown like i said before...
Old 07-07-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Re: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help (komat)

Whats not understood about me not even being able to buy a leakdown tester?

I cannot purchase one, they cannot order one. Unless I order one online Im **** out of luck

Im lowerring the oil pressure

Im also looking into some sort of stop smoke additive
Old 07-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your having that much trouble with it then dont drive it

So what your saying is that you want to lower your oil pressure to under 25psi?

who built the motor?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help (BoostedEG6)

I want to make it so that the oil heats up quicker, it gets under 40psi after about 10 min or so of descent driving, problem is most of my drives are intown and obviously I dont want to be smoking everywhere

So I would like to lower it quicker, quicker the better

I assembled the motor, first one Ive ever done without a single grain of physical help, only honda-tech, apparently I didnt read enough
Old 07-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the pressure at after it warms up? is it under 40psi at WOT? or what is it at while driving?

you my friend have bad valve seals. I know that is 100% what is wrong with it. I had the same problem when my old truck. when it was cold it smoked and when it warmed up it stoped.

there is nothing you can do to fix the problem other than fix the seal.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:38 PM

Default Re: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help (BoostedEG6)

That makes me feel better in a way

I didnt assemble the head and bought it assembled

Would any additives works to swell up the seals or whatever happens to them when it wamrs up faster?

I seen a few things today at the store but was unaware what worked

Oil pressure when driving when COLD is 70+, when warm its 45-50, idle when warm is about 20psi
Old 07-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help (komat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by komat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bet its either his valve seals or rings that are leaking

get it leakdown like i said before...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Except a leak down tester can't show you bad stem seals...
Old 07-08-2006, 05:26 AM

Old 07-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PINKS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you just looking to increase your damn post count? People have replied and replied to your 5,000 topics about this. You got all the information you are going to get spoon fed to you. Do you some more reasearch on your own, get on the phone, something. Just quit with these useless replies and crap.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Re: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help (Hybrid93Eg)

i asked what type of oil additive to stop oil consumtion worked the best, something to swell valve seals possibly

looking for personal experience, do you have any?
Old 07-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the valve stem seals are leaking, they are most likley hardened. In which case, you aren't going to get much from any mystery additive. Trust me, its not the stupid valve stem seals. Live with the fact that it uses oil some until you can put the other engine in. The only additive I have ever used is Seafoam. More of a cleaner, not a conditioner.

Quick Reply: LOWERING Oil Pressure... What Oil To Run? Additives? Temporary Fix Need Help